HP50g converting from rectangular to polar (525 Views)
Occasional Visitor
jcfor3ver
Message 1 of 4 (525 Views)

HP50g converting from rectangular to polar

Hi guys, how do I convert from rectangular to polar form? Say I type in -(i8 -6), I want to convert this to polar? And please don't tell me to switch my mode, I've tried that. I am in polar form mode right now.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Maké
Message 2 of 4 (495 Views)

Re: HP50g converting from rectangular to polar

[ Edited ]

Hi!, jcfor3ever:

Welcome, to Forum!.

For convert rectangular to polar, you must ...

1) Configure FLAGS.

01 Principal value

03 Function -> symb

128 Cmplx var allowed

2) Now, see the images ...

Rect_1.JPGRect_2.JPG

Press EVAL key ... Rect_3.JPG

Note: Miguel Angel Caporalini was, my previous ID, but this, was banned, by HP.

Kind Regards.
Maké.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Tim Wessman
Message 3 of 4 (478 Views)

The best way to deal with rect, polar, sphere coordinates on the 50g is to use vectors rather then complex numbers in my experience. Instead of doing 3+5i or whatever, do [3 5]. There is then a menu you can use to quickly switch display format. Note that internally they are ALWAYS (both complex and a 2 or 3 item vector) stored in rectangular mode and so you must do a mode togggle to change the look. The setting that needs toggling is "coordinate system".

Anyway, assuming you are using soft menus and not choose menus, this is very quick and easy. Press MTH->Vectr. Once in this menu, the ->V can build a vector, and V2-> and V3-> can explode them. Pressing NXT will put you on a page with easy toggles between the 3 formats.

--

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and comments expressed here are my own.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Vermagster
Message 4 of 4 (440 Views)

Here's a couple of short user-RPL programs which use some of the functions Tim mentioned, in order to convert between polar/spherical and rectangular (they work with 2 and 3 dimensions).

One important thing to observe with these, is that using R->P converts the values to what a polar representation would have shown, but does so in a rectangular vector!  So, interpreted as a geometric vector, it is no longer the same vector!

The reason I do it like this, are several: I want to be able to quickly peek what coordinates would be in the other representation, without changing from rectangular vector mode. And I use these not only as geometric vectors, but also as objects or parts of objects, holding a sequence of reals, in the context of other custom functions, matrices and equation systems. And this system of custom functions goes back all the way to my HP28S, which I think had R->P and P->R functions.

<<  ->  v

<<  -16.  FS?

IF

THEN v 1800.  .1 BEEP "In RECT mode only"

ELSE v SIZE OBJ->  DROP DUP

CASE 3.  ==

THEN DROP v V->   -16.  SF  -15.  SF  ->V3  -15.  CF  -16.  CF

END 2. ==

THEN v V->   -16. SF  -15. SF  ->V2  -15.  CF -16.  CF

END v 1800.  .1 BEEP "Invalid Dimension!"

END

END

>>

>>

'[P->R]'

STO

<<  ->  v

<< -16.  FS?

IF

THEN v 1800.  .1 BEEP "In RECT mode only"

ELSE v SIZE OBJ->  DROP DUP

CASE 3.  ==

THEN DROP  -16.  SF  -15.  SF v  V->   -15.  CF  -16  CF  ->V3

END 2. ==

THEN  -16.  SF  -15.  SF v V->   -15.  CF  -16.  CF   ->V2

END v 1800.   .1 BEEP  "Invalid Dimension!"

END

END

>>

>>

'[R->P]'

STO

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation