HP50g Polar to Rectangular Coordinates (8995 Views)
Regular Advisor
Dean Konstantin
Message 1 of 9 (8,995 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP50g Polar to Rectangular Coordinates

As a relative novice on the HP50g and mathematics in general, I am attempting to convert polar coordinates to rectangular, and vice versa. Is there a simple method of doing this on the HP50g? On my old  HP15c, there is a simple keystroke, but I cannot seem to find one on the HP50g

Thank you

Dean

Honored Contributor
Miguel Angel Caporalini
Message 2 of 9 (8,971 Views)

Re: HP50g Polar to Rectangular Coordinates

Hi!, Dean:

For conversion, please see Chapter 9, page (12-bottom) to page (15-top), of the ...

HP 50g users guide English E DCVL5300788.pdf, from ...

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&contentType=Support...

Best. Regards.

MACH.:smileyhappy:

Honored Contributor
Tim Wessman
Message 3 of 9 (8,954 Views)

What type of calculations are you doing exactly?

I ask because the 48/49/50 series allows you to have vector objects. Thus you can do things like [ 5000 5000 ] [ 150 123.45 ] and just hit + and you get the resultant rectangular coordinate. Also works with 3d objects.

To experiment with this functionality, you can go into the VECT menu in the MATH menu. You can toggle the different display modes, and build/destroy vector objects in there. This is *very* nice for many purposes, but if all you want to do is convert a single pair it is a bit annoying.

Now if you truly just want R->P  P->R commands, download and install this library file I have linked to below. Put it on an SD card, then use the filer to copy it into port 2. Press and hold ON-C together, and then release. That will reboot and install the library. In it there are two commands that will now be "built in". You can access them and use them anywhere like regular functionality.

Press right-shift 2 to access the LIB menu. You will see a folder object there anmed R~P L. Inside are 3 commands. The first, RPmen creates a menu with R->P, P->R and HMS maniplulation commands. The other two are your expected R->P and P->R.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/hpeb/attachments/hpeb/bsc-408/4121/1/323081.null

--

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and comments expressed here are my own.
Honored Contributor
Miguel Angel Caporalini
Message 4 of 9 (8,948 Views)

Hi!, Dean:

You can see too, the next site ...

http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/hpmuseum/archv017.cgi?read=112381

Best Regards.

Occasional Advisor
Garth Cook
Message 5 of 9 (8,928 Views)

Tim: I downloaded & installed the 323081.null program on my HP49g+. However, when I tried to use it,  I got an "ERROR- Bad Argument Type" message. Specifically , I entered (3.5,-1.2) on level 1 (as example on page 4-2 Users Guide) and pressed the F-2 key (R->P) and got the error message . Same thing happened when trying to convert the polar (cylin) example on pg 4-3

The calc is set to RPN,  Header shows Radians XYZ HEX R = 'X"

Only flags 28,34,40,117 set.

What am I doing wrong??

G.C.

Honored Contributor
Miguel Angel Caporalini
Message 6 of 9 (8,921 Views)

Hi!, Garth:

You must configure FLAGS ...

03 Function -> num

105 Exact mode on

Too, CALCULATOR MODES

Angle Measure.... Radians

Coord System...... Rectangular

1: (3.5,-1.2)

Now, press MODE (H) key.

Change in Coord System ...... Rectangular by POLAR

Now, you can see ...

1: (3.7, <angle symbol>-.33029735482 ......

Best Regards.

Honored Contributor
Tim Wessman
Message 7 of 9 (8,919 Views)

[ Edited ]

It just takes two numbers from the stack, not a complex number. Are you entering it as a complex number with parenthesis? What you installed is a true R->P and P->R command

Just type two numbers, and then run the command.

If you want to use complex objects, then you'll want to use the VECT menu to allow easy toggling between RECT POL and SPHER modes.

--

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and comments expressed here are my own.
Regular Advisor
Dean Konstantin
Message 8 of 9 (8,900 Views)

Thank you Mach, and the other responders. I read the suggested section of the manual, and now it makes sense to me.

Dean

Occasional Advisor
Garth Cook
Message 9 of 9 (8,863 Views)

Tim: Thanks for your reply (and shortcut program). Yes-- I was using complex format (Parentheses, 2 numbers) . The program works fine with just the 2 numbers on the stack. Thanks to Miguel also, but I was really dealing only with your useful program.

Thanks

GC

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.