HP Prime angle measure modes (Home and CAS) (388 Views)
Frequent Advisor
davetheguru
Message 1 of 7 (388 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Prime angle measure modes (Home and CAS)

I have noticed that if I change the angle measure mode for Home (under its settings), the angle measurement mode for CAS (under its settings) changes to the same mode.

Now I like to use Home (RPN) for "real world" work, which uses degrees measurments for angles and use CAS for "theoretical" work where "radians" make more sense.  So this "under the hood" changes between Home and CAS are a bit anoying.

I was wondering if anyone agrees or not -- whether the design here that links the two modes is the most logical or not (?).

It seems redundant to have two settings for effectively one setting and maybe there really should be a setting area for "common" things like this (or not).

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
cyrille
Message 2 of 7 (367 Views)

Re: HP Prime angle measure modes (Home and CAS)

Hello,

The 2 angles are kepts in sync on purpose.

Users will often do things that crosses the CAS/numerical boundary without realizing it. It is important to keep the 2 modes synchrones in order to avoid what they would concider beeing calculation bugs.

I do understand that your useage is different and apologize for the fact that it causes you extra work.

Note that one quick way to change the angle mode is to click on the angle symbol an then select the angle mode that you want.

Cyrille

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
davetheguru
Message 3 of 7 (336 Views)

Cyrille,

Thanks for showing that neat little trick!  That would probably be all I need - keeps from having to go to the settings screens all the time.

Also shows the date, time (to the second too) and battery level!

Real slick.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
cyrille
Message 4 of 7 (321 Views)

Hello,

click on the date and you even get a calendar!

Cyrille

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
davetheguru
Message 5 of 7 (277 Views)

Now that I can see the seconds of the current time, it appears that the Prime is within a second of my PC.  Would I be correct to conclude that the Prime sync's its time with the PC when plugged into it?

Also, I noticed that the calendar is Mon to Sun and not Sun to Sat as some are used to.  I guess there's not a way to change that?  (though I could live with it this way maybe).

With a calendar to select dates with, it would be nice to be able to send a date to the command line (RPN) for date calculations (if the Prime had date functions like the HP-50g).

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Tim Wessman
Message 6 of 7 (270 Views)

davetheguru wrote:

Now that I can see the seconds of the current time, it appears that the Prime is within a second of my PC.  Would I be correct to conclude that the Prime sync's its time with the PC when plugged into it?

>Yes, it does.

Also, I noticed that the calendar is Mon to Sun and not Sun to Sat as some are used to.  I guess there's not a way to change that?  (though I could live with it this way maybe).

>Nope.

With a calendar to select dates with, it would be nice to be able to send a date to the command line (RPN) for date calculations (if the Prime had date functions like the HP-50g).

>Date variable contains that.

--

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and comments expressed here are my own.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
davetheguru
Message 7 of 7 (253 Views)

Date has the current date.  But where is the date selected from the pop-up calendar?

And the functions to work with dates, like DDAYS, DATE+ that the '48 to '50 has?

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation