Re: HP Prime Firmware Update Failed (104) (3674 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Message 1 of 21 (4,935 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Prime Firmware Update Failed (104)

I heard there was a new firmware update for the HP-Prime.  

I connected the calculator to the HP Connectivity Kit.   It found an  update for both the Connectivity Kit itself and for the calclator.   It was successful in updating the connectivity kit but I am unable to update the calculator firmware.

I am on Windows7 64-bit.

My current firmware revision is:  2013 8 13 (5106)

According to the new firware it's version_20131125.

I have tried rebooting the PC,  using a different cable and a different USB port.

The connectivity kit seems to have a solid connection to the calculator because I can view/change settings, etc.

After it fails the firmare update, I have to paper-clip reset the calculator.   

Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry in advance if this has already reported and solved.  I did a search of the forum and didn't see anything related to this new version.

-TIA

Valued Contributor
Message 2 of 21 (4,898 Views)

Re: HP Prime Firmware Update Failed (104)

[ Edited ]

Hi!, gablinger:

1) Charge the battery, to 100%.

Please, see this link ... http://www.educalc.net/2336439.page

Note: Miguel Angel Caporalini is, my previous ID and i'm Founder - Honored Contributor, with 2,392 posts and 406 kudos; but this, was banned, by HP.

Kind Regards.
Maké.
Occasional Contributor
Message 3 of 21 (4,870 Views)

Thanks ...

That didn't quite work the first time -- when I ran the usbtools it didn't see the calculator.    After a few attempts,  I ended up opening the HP Connectivity Kit and selected the firmware update option.  It failed as described in my original post.  However, at that point,  I ran the usbtool and it did connect and was able to update the firmware.

Not sure why the extra step is needed but I  was able to do the update so that's all I care about.

I don't know what the reviews are saying but I'm really liking the HP Prime.    I wish I was back in college so I could use it more.   At this point I am just going through some of my old engineering/math books playing around.

It's very easy and intuitive to use.    

The only complaint I have is the writing on the angled part of the buttons is a bit  hard to read.   Other than that,  I really like it.

Occasional Visitor
Message 4 of 21 (4,137 Views)

[ Edited ]

This seems to be a problem with Windows 7 64bit.  Both the HP Connectivity application and the 'upload.exe' utility from the link above never worked.

I changed to my trustworthy old Dell E6500 laptop running Win7/32bit and it worked first tome, *zero* problems!  (my desktop is a much newer machine running Win7/64bit).

Evidently the USB chipset and driver combinatino was incompatible with these firmware update utiliies

Don't get fooled:  the connectivity application could do everything else just fine, even the 'monitor' worked perfectly, but was never gouing to update the firmware.

Lesson: If you run into this, use an older 32bit Windows machine.

Valued Contributor
Message 5 of 21 (4,115 Views)

Hi!, CaptFrito:

Welcome, to Forum!.

I'm have a All in One PC120 1026LA, with I3 Intel chipset (microprocessor), 8Gb. memory and O.S. Windows 7 Home Premium and install resident, the new update of my HP PRIME, with the new Connectivity kit and ROM, downloaded from ... ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/

Note: You must charge battery first, to 100%.

Note: Miguel Angel Caporalini is, my previous ID and i'm Founder - Honored Contributor, with 2,392 posts and 406 kudos; but this, was banned, by HP.

Kind Regards.
Maké.
Occasional Visitor
Message 6 of 21 (4,067 Views)

Just in case somebody had the same issue...

My HP Connectivity applicaton used to work when I first installed the  CD programs that came with my brand new HP Prime.

As soon as I installed and updated the installed apps to the latest version, my HP prime will not be visible in the HP Connectivity application and I could not install a new firmware on my HP Prime.

After finding how to reset my HP Prime, I reset it, and then the HP Prime was able to be visible by the HP Connectivity application and I was able to udpate my firmware. 

Occasional Visitor
Message 7 of 21 (3,717 Views)

Hi,

I've got my Hp Prime from the beginning of july.

Software version 2013 11 25 (5447)

CAS version 1.1.0-27

Serial number 4CY34502R1

I've tryed to update the firmware, but none of the ways in this forum has been able to help me... :-(

I have a HP notebook, but it looks like it doesn't see his sister Prime...  :-)

I've got error 104 using the connectivity kit.

I've got an error like "...connect the device..." using usbtool.

I've got them both trying to do as gablinger suggests.

:-(

Windows 7, 64 bit

This weekend I wil try with my old notebook with Windows XP...

Occasional Visitor
Message 8 of 21 (3,715 Views)

Hi,

in just a few minutes I'm back!

I've done it.... and the solutions is: change the usb port.... :-(

That "stupid" kind of solution...

It looks like usb 3.0 was not good, but usb 2.0 is ok, is it possible somehow?....

After 22 years of HP 48sx I'm happy with my HP Prime, but I hope that the equation library and the periodic table will be soon available. They are really good and usefull both at school and at work.

Have a nice monday! :-)

V.

Trusted Contributor
Message 9 of 21 (3,674 Views)

Hi, Vincenzo!

Yes, changing to a different USB port usually solves the connection problem.  And yes, USB 3 ports are often reported to give Prime users more trouble than USB 2 ports. Nobody seems to know why this happens.

Although there is no "official" Periodic Table for the Prime from HP yet, an excellent one has been written by user Miguel Toro.  It is available here: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-1115.html Please note that the first link given on that web page is for the binary form of the program. If it gives you trouble, or if you are not sure how to install binaries, you can also get the source code for the program here: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/attachment.php?aid=683 You can easily install that version by dragging and dropping it onto your Prime in the Connectivity Kit.

-Joe-
Occasional Visitor
Message 10 of 21 (3,424 Views)

Can anyone help with this?

I've also downloaded the latest firmware for my HP Prime and have tried all the suggested ways to reset the calculator. Since the update the calculator is flashing the following: hp logo then X^2+ Y^2=1 then blank screen.

As noted I've tried the suggested ways to reset but still flashing the above. I finally had to remove the battery and left with $149 worth of plastic.

Trusted Contributor
Message 11 of 21 (3,410 Views)

jpipedes wrote:

Can anyone help with this?

I've also downloaded the latest firmware for my HP Prime and have tried all the suggested ways to reset the calculator. Since the update the calculator is flashing the following: hp logo then X^2+ Y^2=1 then blank screen.

As noted I've tried the suggested ways to reset but still flashing the above. I finally had to remove the battery and left with $149 worth of plastic.

I don't know what you mean by "all the suggested ways", but the following always resets the calculator to factory-new condition:

(1) Press and hold down the three keys with the letters C, F, and O (not zero).

(2) While holding them all down, poke a paperclip into the RESET hole in the back.

(3) When the diagnostic screen appears, release the C, F, and O keys.

(4) Press 4, then 3, then Enter.  This will wipe the memory of the calculator to factory-new condition.

(5) When the blue OK appears, press Esc, then 9.

This always works.  It usually ends with the initial setup, including swiping the tiny HP logo to the right with your finger, selecting the default language, and/or other stuff, depending on your hardware and firmware versions.

Hope that helps!

-Joe-
Occasional Visitor
Message 12 of 21 (3,363 Views)

Joe,

Thanks for your reply.

I will clarify the "suggested" methods:

1) Paperclip in reset hole while holding the symb key

2) Papercip in the rest hole while holding the F, C & O

The calculator still flashes and is why I removed the battery. Is there another means of resetting the Prime other than what I've tried? The calculator is not even 6 months old and I don't want to have to give up on it. Thanks for your help.

Honored Contributor
Message 13 of 21 (3,353 Views)

e

Hello,

So if I am understanding correctly, you have been able to flash the calculator, it has gone through 3 separte files with 3 progress bars, and then on the boot it gets stuck.

If so, then try these things next. Hold down the "backspace" key while booting (you must reset the calc, and be holding the BKSP the entire boot sequence). This bypasses loading data files. If that doesn't work, go into the C F O factory menu, do the 4 FLS option, then format the unit.

If it still doesn't work, please call HP support.

--

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and comments expressed here are my own.
Occasional Visitor
Message 14 of 21 (3,304 Views)

Re: e

Tim,
No, since the failed firmware update the calculator just keeps flashing the sequence: hp logo; x^2+y^2=1; blank screen. As stated , the resets mentioned in my previous post does not work. Is there any other way to get this calculator operational since the failed firmware update? Joe
Occasional Contributor
Message 15 of 21 (3,218 Views)

For anyone having the problem of updating the firmware on the HP Prime, try rebooting your computer into Windows Safe Mode.

I've updated my firmware twice now. The first time I was able to get it working by plugging the HP Prime into a USB hub (oddly enough that worked.)

The second time I updated, nothing was working. I tried several different USB ports on my computer, I tried going through the USB hub again, but that "trick" did not work this time.

I finally gave up and tried using my laptop instead of my desktop. That did not work either.

Out of desperation, I called HP tech support on the phone. The guy was friendly and knowledgeable. He started off by making sure I tried all the usual stuff and then suggested I reboot into Windows Safe Mode.

I honestly didn't think that was going to help, but it wouldn't hurt to try so I did. Instant solution.

I don't know if that will work for everyone, but the next time I have to update my firmware, that is the FIRST thing I'm going to try.
Occasional Contributor
Message 16 of 21 (2,960 Views)

The same thing has happened to mine. Bricked. I did a reset into recovery mode, uploaded the firmware with usbtool, all that went fine with no errors, rebooted the Prime and still can't get past the dreaded formula screen. 

Anyone?

Occasional Visitor
Message 17 of 21 (2,147 Views)

I got mine working by the following

keep in mind i am using windows 8...

I ran hp connectivity kit using compatibility mode for windows 7 and also in administrative mode and everything works

Occasional Visitor
Message 18 of 21 (1,748 Views)

Hola,

estaba realizando la actualización del firmware de la calculadora y se ha cortado la conexión antes de terminar,

ahora se reinicia continuamente y no pasa de la primera imagen de "hp".

Ayuda por favor.

Gracias

Honored Contributor
Message 19 of 21 (1,730 Views)

Hold SYMB down during the boot. It will reopen the updater.

Then start the connkit again.

--

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and comments expressed here are my own.
Occasional Visitor
Message 20 of 21 (1,570 Views)

Hola a todos, al intentar actualizar el firm de mi hp prime entre en el error V13.  Tuve la buena idea de hacer un reset de la calc y desde ahi no encendio mas. A alguien le ha sucedido esto, quite la bateria pero sigue sin encender. Gracias.

LSW
Message 21 of 21 (1,502 Views)

Hello Lalegre,

Thank you for participating HP Enterprise Business Forum.

We would like to encourage that this discussion should be continued in English language as this forums is a English construct-based communities as per the rules of participation (Rules(9) *see below for the URL). Your post in English format will definitely help your other fellow participants to well-understand the issues and help you out regarding this.
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage

HP Forums also supports few other languages for the same where you can select the language option located at the top right side of the EBC main page. 

Regards,
Maiko
Forum Moderator
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.