Re: HP Prime, Equation Solver (953 Views)
Occasional Visitor
sorensen9796
Message 1 of 5 (1,032 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Prime, Equation Solver

Hello,

I am having some difficulties with my HP Prime calculator. I just received it in earlier this week. I am using it side by side with my TI-89 Titanium to see how the different functions compare. The problem lies in when I tried to use the equation solver to solve for an uknown variable. I know that this should return me two answers, one around 383 and the other around 1410, both from my 89 returning these answers, and the solution for my problem is in the back of my book and it lists them both there. Does anyone know how to go about resolving this? I would think that such a "beast" as the Prime should be able to do something this simple.

Thank you

co_
Occasional Advisor
co_
Message 2 of 5 (1,011 Views)

Re: HP Prime, Equation Solver

Can you give an example?

Occasional Visitor
sorensen9796
Message 3 of 5 (985 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for trying to help with this. The equation that I am working on is below. It has already been suggested that I enter a different number as a guess into the Solve Numberic View and it should give me the second answer, as long as I go in the right direction, which considering I know the answers already I know I am as I have even put in 1410 and all it gives back is Bad Guess(es).

Occasional Visitor
Harrypusen
Message 4 of 5 (957 Views)

Hi,

Please try to use nSolve(YourEquation,a=1..nn) whilst being in CAS view. (nSolve since you are looking for numerical answers)

Using a=1..2000 gives a list of {387.092637878, 1410.5095324}. If you suspect several roots, it is quite cool to use a range as guesses.

Make sure that you use lowercase "a" in the equation to avoid the "Bad Argument Value", also make sure the CAS is set to Degrees. 

You can also log on to hpmuseum.org where the calculator is discussed extensively.

Hope this helps

Occasional Visitor
sorensen9796
Message 5 of 5 (953 Views)

You are awesome in my book Harrypusen! Thank you!

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.