HP PRIME GRAPHING CALCULATOR - Technical data and performance comparison with others. (17302 Views)
Honored Contributor
Miguel Angel Caporalini
Message 1 of 25 (17,302 Views)

HP PRIME GRAPHING CALCULATOR - Technical data and performance comparison with others.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Axel_59
Message 2 of 25 (17,192 Views)

Re: HP PRIME GRAPHING CALCULATOR - Technical data and performance comparison with others.

Miguel,

I think it's important to precise that all of this is absolutely not official.

Perhaps these specs are true. Perhaps not ... At this stage, it's only rumors. The only official annoncement is the video and noting on specs inside.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Miguel Angel Caporalini
Message 3 of 25 (17,051 Views)

Re: HP PRIME GRAPHING CALCULATOR - Technical data and performance comparison with others.

[ Edited ]

Hi!, all:

The first program, of Fractals, for HP PRIME GRAPHING CALCULATOR, from ... http://www.calc-bank.com/

BEGIN
LOCAL iter := 0;
LOCAL z := (0,0);
WHILE (ABS(z) <= bailoutValue) AND (iter < maxIter) DO
z := z*z+c;
iter := iter+1;
END;
RETURN iter;
END;

LSclr(Ndx)
BEGIN
Ndx := ROUND(Ndx*186,0);
IF Ndx < 31 THEN RETURN 0+ 1*Ndx; END;
IF Ndx < 62 THEN RETURN 31+ 32*(Ndx-31); END;
IF Ndx < 93 THEN RETURN 1023- 1*(Ndx-62); END;
IF Ndx < 124 THEN RETURN 992+ 1024*(Ndx-93); END;
IF Ndx < 155 THEN RETURN 32736- 32*(Ndx-124); END;
IF Ndx < 186 THEN RETURN 31744+ 1*(Ndx-155); END;
RETURN 31775;
END;

colorize(itVal, maxIt)
BEGIN
IF itVal==maxIt THEN
// We are inside the Mandelbrot map
// Then the pixel is drawn in blackRETURN 0;
ELSE
RETURN LSclr(itVal/maxIt);
END;
END;

EXPORT Mandelbrot()
BEGIN
// Clean the screen (G0):RECT();

LOCAL dx, dy, c, xp, yp;
LOCAL iter, color;

// These 4 variables defined
// Our window of the complex plane

LOCAL xmin, xmax, ymin, ymax;
LOCAL maxIterations := 50;
LOCAL maxRadius := 2;

// Location
// Radio width to height should be 4:3

xmin := -2.5;
xmax := 1.5;
ymin := -1.5;
ymax := 1.5;

// Other parameters better:

//xmin := 0.315625;
//xmax := 0.515625;
//ymin := 0.28125;
//ymax := 0.43125;

dx := (xmax-xmin)/320;
dy := (ymax-ymin)/240;
c := (xmin,ymin);

// we loop over each pixel
// Of the screen wil Prime:
FOR yp FROM 0 TO 239 DO
FOR xp FROM 0 TO 319 DO
// Create the complex number c
// We need for iteration:

c := (xmin+xp*dx, ymax-yp*dy);

// Now iterate the formula and
// Return the number of iteration steps
// That was taken up
// That the complex number jump out
// The radius of convergence:

iter := iteration(c, maxRadius, maxIterations);

// Determines a color for the iteration number:color := colorize(iter, maxIterations);

// Change color to that pixel:

PIXON_P(xp, yp, color);
END;
END;

// deja la imagen en la pantalla
// hasta que se presiona una tecla:
REPEAT UNTIL GETKEY() == -1;
FREEZE;
END;

Fractals HP PRIME.JPG

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Vermagster
Message 4 of 25 (16,913 Views)

[ Edited ]

The lack of comments here surprise me.

Anyway, I kinda hope this is just another (but more high-end) student calculator?

Of course the main market will always be in education, I understand that, I just hope that this 'HP Prime' is not intended as a complete replacement for HP50G?

As a calculator, as in a math companion in professional and private life, HP Prime disappoints in a couple of manners:

Touch screen instead of soft menu keys.

Custom hi-energy battery + charger.

I understand that the backlit color display is a sales argument in some circles. But to me, it's far more important to have low battery consumption and not to have the hassle with a charger, or have to worry about the condition and health of a very-hard/impossible-to-get, rechargeable battery. That we're supposed to be used to this from smartphones, is not a good point. 1: I hate my phone. 2: I can replace my phone at seconds notice, because it's a mainstream commodity. Calculator is not.

My life with HP28S, HP48G, HP49/50 has been extremely heavy on the soft menu keys. This is how I mainly operate the calculator - from my tree of my own custom menus, which link to my own custom functions, but of course, the calculators many own functions, buried deep in the menus, as well.

Will you now tell me a touchscreen will be a reliable and convenient substitute?

I'm sort of fine with the HP50G.

The system and CAS need an overhaul to become modern and take advantage of more capable addressing. But what I mainly ask for, in a replacement, is: Faster - Better display (monochrome&passive is still superior to high battery consumption) - A better ENTER-key - And maintenance, (which the HP50 has lacked for a long time, apparently because HP-calculators have given priority to new foundations).

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Miguel Angel Caporalini
Message 5 of 25 (16,900 Views)

Hi!, Vermagster:

How about if we wait until the month of September, which is, the final release?.

What of the lithium ion battery, is a good option and also touchscreen. Look, I have two Smartphone HP iPAQ 910c with expand 5VDC and 3840 mAh battery, touch screen (never failed me and it's been over two years than I have), 400Mhz processor and it is, wonderful. The brightness, the HP Color PRIME can be mitigated, as in my Smartphones, to avoid excessive consumption. If you have no charger and batteries be removed, it is also an advantage and also besides making it, from a 110/220VAC, you could load it from the 12VDC power supply of your car.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Vermagster
Message 6 of 25 (16,876 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, Miguel.

Thank you for your response. Yes, we must wait until September. But I'm sure it will be well received. I think those features which I don't like - charger and absence of soft keys - will not bother the market which the calculator is aimed for. It is likely that they will appreciate the backlit color display and touch screen more. And I have no problem with that.

Regardless, for the best chances of seeing a suitable calculator becoming marketed one day, it's probably important that the HP39GII and HP Prime do well.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Axel_59
Message 7 of 25 (16,759 Views)

[ Edited ]

Vermagster wrote:

The lack of comments here surprise me.

Anyway, I kinda hope this is just another (but more high-end) student calculator?

Of course the main market will always be in education, I understand that, I just hope that this 'HP Prime' is not intended as a complete replacement for HP50G?

As a calculator, as in a math companion in professional and private life, HP Prime disappoints in a couple of manners:

Touch screen instead of soft menu keys.

Custom hi-energy battery + charger.

I think the touch screen could be nice ( and you have 'really' soft menu :

http://www.ti-bank.fr/images/Prime.png

The battery is necessery with a color screen.

But it s difficult to have a definitive  opinion without testing...

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Miguel Angel Caporalini
Message 8 of 25 (16,715 Views)

Hi!:

IMHO, I think if HP, has decided to include, a lithium polymer battery rechargeable, is because it is the best option today and has tested conveniently. I know with, my two Smartphone HP iPAQ 910c, with expansion batteries of 3.7VDC and 3180mAh. Logically that HP PRIME, will have a timekeeper, to turn off automatically as does, the rest, of the above calculators.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
twixtfanatic
Message 9 of 25 (15,123 Views)

Thanks for posting this. Where can I learn more about this language? Is it compiled for the 400 MHz ARM chip? What other graphics commands are available? Is double buffered animation possible? Can I place an input button anywhere on the touchscreen?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Miguel Angel Caporalini
Message 10 of 25 (15,116 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi!, twixtfanatic:

Welcome, to site!.

The Advanced HP PRIME GRAPHING CALCULATOR, isn't available today. The Programation languages are RPN, algebraic and other what IMHO, is similar to Pascal Language, but, i'm not sure. Wait a few days, for more information.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Tim Wessman
Message 11 of 25 (15,098 Views)

The Advanced HP PRIME GRAPHING CALCULATOR, isn't available today. The Programation languages are RPN, algebraic and Otero wat IMHO is similar to Pascal,

There is no RPN programming of any kind. RPN operation and entry yes, but not programming.

For information about what the language looks like, see the 39gII users guide. It is very similar. I'll stick the extracted chapter here for reference.

--

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and comments expressed here are my own.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Miguel Angel Caporalini
Message 12 of 25 (14,966 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi!, Tim:

In the data sheet, what you can see, in my other post, indicate ... RPN.JPG. With this specification I suppose the possibility of programming, in RPN.

You have more chance, for obtein information, why you work, in HP calculator's group.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
twixtfanatic
Message 13 of 25 (14,843 Views)

Thanks for posting the chapter. This Pascal-like language is edited and evaluated on the calculator itself. It surely is not compiled directly for the ARM chip. So, it can produce beautiful graphics images, but it isn't nearly as fast as the calculator could be.

At hpcalc.org is the package hpgcc for the 50g. This allows the user to write a C program on his/her PC and compile it there for the ARM on the calculator. The result is often orders of magnitude faster than a similar program in user RPL would be. hpgcc is maintained by volunteers who have to deal with changes to the gcc compiler and many other issues while keeping their day jobs. It never gained the popularity that similar software for the TI calculator has achieved.

Now that HP has a new machine, with a connectivity kit, wouldn't it be great if third party developers could write in some high level language such as C or Pascal, with system calls to access calculator memory, display, and input, that would compile for the ARM chip? A GUI app for my Linux machine, with an emulator and an ARM back-compiler, which could transfer wirelessly or by cable to the Prime: is that too much to ask for? Chop chop!

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Miguel Angel Caporalini
Message 14 of 25 (14,826 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi!, twixtfanatic:

You have to wait, for September, when it goes, on sale. I have accurate information that will be important news in July about his performances. I know I have a lot of information ARM microprocessor, which take this gem, as above, will be of great technology.

For the microprocessor, you can see for comparison, the heart, of HP39GII (ARM926EJ-S, of Family STMP3770) ...Hearth fo HP39GII.JPG and the specification, of the comparison table, from ...

http://www.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/support_info/STMPFAMCOMPTBL.pdf

And ...

1) ARM GCC Inline Assembler, from ... http://www.ethernut.de/en/documents/arm-inline-asm.html

2) In the attachment file, in clip, the ARM Assembler Guide.

Too, the Manual of Assembly for ARM926EJ-S, downloaded from ... http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.arm.doc.ddi0198e/DDI0198E_arm926ejs_r0p5_trm.pdf

Note: IMHO, the HP PRIME, will be equipped, with the same or, similar microprocessor.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
tcab
Message 15 of 25 (6,620 Views)

Thanks for this program.  I'm trying to run it in the HP Prime emulator, but it complains about an error - is the first line missing as the listing here starts with BEGIN which I'm not sure is legal?  Shouldn't there be a function name first?

Please use plain text.
Visitor
tcab
Message 16 of 25 (6,595 Views)

Actually there are many things wrong.  Besides the missing 1st line function name, the variables bailoutValue, maxIter, c are not declared and give syntax errors.  I stopped there.  Any chance of a repost of the listing, so that it can be pasted into an hp prime emulator program and run?

thanks

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Miguel Angel Caporalini
Message 17 of 25 (6,527 Views)

Hi!, tcab:

Welcome, to Forum!.

This is an illustrative example, of use maxIter and Bailout values, of Fractals, will come better explained when you leave in September or October the Advanced HP RPIME GRAPHING CALCULATOR, in your User Manual. Be patient.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
supergreen5
Message 18 of 25 (3,720 Views)

Does the Prime allow execution of user programs or functions in RPN mode? ie. Taking & returning values or symbols via the RPN stack? Without this capability it would seem RPN has been mortally wounded.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Miguel Angel Caporalini
Message 19 of 25 (3,696 Views)

Hi!, supergreen5:

Welcome, to Forum!.

Please, see page 18, of the file attached, in clip.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
Apple1
Message 20 of 25 (3,594 Views)

Miguel,

I received my Prime calculator a few days ago. I have barely got my feet wet.

One thing I noticed, the MATH TEMPLATE (shift-9) does not contain the derivative, the integral symbols. Instead you need to get them from the SHIFT-CHARS,MORE,MATH OPERATORS view. A little inconvenience.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Miguel Angel Caporalini
Message 21 of 25 (3,589 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi!, Apple1:

Welcome, to Forum!.

Please, press "C" key ... C key.JPG and you can use ...

MATH.JPG

DERIVADA.JPG

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Tim Wessman
Message 22 of 25 (3,582 Views)

[ Edited ]

As stated, you should look at the template key.

The key you are looking at really just contains some characters that get used in some types of match (engineering primarily). The functions are on the 2d template key that has the alpha "C" on it.

--

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and comments expressed here are my own.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Miguel Angel Caporalini
Message 23 of 25 (3,560 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi!, Apple1:

You can too, with the examples of fig. 13/14, of the attached file, in clip, by Namir Shammas.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
Apple1
Message 24 of 25 (3,488 Views)

Miguel and Tim, thanks for your response.

I know about the math template (the C button). I was trying to locate the derivative, the integral, substitute and etc symbols which are all scattered in the shift-Chars displays. If you hit, shift-Vars (Chars), touch the MORE button, scroll up to the MATH OPERATORS and touch, the partial derivative symbol is just to the right of the hilighted symbol. The integral symbol is also in this character set. Just an observation.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Miguel Angel Caporalini
Message 25 of 25 (3,482 Views)

Hi!, Apple1:

With the button B ... MATH_00.JPG and CAS, you can see ...

MATH_0.JPG

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation