HP PRIME GRAPHING CALCULATOR-Data Sheet. (17204 Views)
Honored Contributor
Miguel Angel Caporalini
Message 1 of 24 (17,204 Views)

HP PRIME GRAPHING CALCULATOR-Data Sheet.

Hi!, all:

In the next site, the data sheet ... http://www.cemetech.net/projects/techreports/hpprime_datasheet.pdf

Valued Contributor
MarcioB
Message 2 of 24 (17,139 Views)

Re: HP PRIME GRAPHING CALCULATOR-Data Sheet.

Is this calculator the successor to the 50g?

Honored Contributor
Miguel Angel Caporalini
Message 3 of 24 (17,126 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi!, Marcio:

The HP PRIME GRAPHING CALCULATOR is an Advanced microcomputer, of Gen5 (5th generation). See, my previous post, from ... http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Calculators/Because-HP-PRIME-GRAPHING-CALCULATOR-Name/td-p/6068985 and ... http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Calculators/Introduction-to-HP-Prime-Advanced-Graphing-Calculator-Versi...

IMHO, this isn't the successor of HP49G+/HP50G, microcomputers. For me, it's more like the HP39GII, for his performance, though it sounds to, much higher.

Advanced HP PRIME.JPG

Honored Contributor
Tim Wessman
Message 4 of 24 (17,105 Views)

MarcioB wrote:

Define "successor".

It unquestionably will have a more powerful CAS, will be much faster, has more memory and storag space. However, it is not a direct continuation of the 28S series...

--

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and comments expressed here are my own.
Valued Contributor
MarcioB
Message 5 of 24 (17,095 Views)

[ Edited ]

Tim Wessman wrote:

MarcioB wrote:

Define "successor".

successor would be the, let's say, 51g?

It unquestionably will have a more powerful CAS, will be much faster, has more memory and storag space. However, it is not a direct continuation of the 28S series...

In terms of functionality, what are the differences between this calculator and the 50g? What public was it designed for?

Honored Contributor
Tim Wessman
Message 6 of 24 (17,067 Views)

[ Edited ]

>51g

Nope. I thought that was quite clear when I said it was not a continutation of the 28s. :-)

>In terms of functionality, what are the differences between this calculator and the 50g?

I couldn't even begin to list them out. The primary one is that it is consistent, actually has a system design, and is based around the concept of apps that have a symbolic, plot and numeric representation within them. In that way, it is just like the 38/39/40g.

The statistics are better, the graphing is better, the CAS is better, the binary integers are better, the 2d input is better, the built in help is better...

>What public was it designed for?

If you haven't read GT Springer's interview, I'd recommend taking a look at that if you haven't. Other then a few small things here and there (like RPN as an app on the 39gII), there is quite a lot of good information there.

--

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and comments expressed here are my own.
Honored Contributor
Miguel Angel Caporalini
Message 7 of 24 (17,048 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi!, all:

From the next site, other important specification ... http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Calculators/Introduction-to-HP-Prime-Advanced-Graphing-Calculator-Versi...

Frequent Advisor
Vermagster
Message 8 of 24 (16,881 Views)

[ Edited ]

I don't want to piss on anyone’s parade here. My comments aren't important anyway. I'm just an old grumbling man with only a handful of years left to retirement. And surely I'll make do with the old HP28->50G a couple more years. I understand the Prime is a student calculator. An education machine. It's not the sort of machine I would have wanted to give students. But I'm sure those who decide these things, teachers and college boards, would consider me incompetent to have any views on that matter.

But I'm still interested in HP calculators, because I started to use them, with a borrowed HP35 back in '74. And I do want to have a couple of matters cleared up:

Will there NOT be any “RPN app” for the HP 39GII? Or is it so limited as to be useless?

“RPN will be treated as a first class citizen” sounds very much to me as damage control speech. And it seems confirmed, when it's revealed there will be no kind of RPN programming at all in the HP Prime.

But what seems of slightly more interest, on that matter, is: Can the HP Prime 'programs' take their arguments from the stack? Can they return their results to the stack? Can 'programs' be called from evaluating their name, put on the stack as a string?

The programming language has one good point. It has a fairly high level interface to graphics.

As for the rest, it seems inflexible, limited and rigid. I can only suppose it's supposed to be easy to learn, and that it's because the dokument relates to HP 39GII. Personally, I have a very hard time to understand why it wasn't given a more Java-like language.

Student calculator? Again? Easier to learn?

After thinking about it, I realize I was wrong. A Pascal dialekt is far easier to get into and learn, And there really isn't much purpose for an OO language on a calculator, either.

Honored Contributor
Miguel Angel Caporalini
Message 9 of 24 (16,875 Views)

Hi!, Vergmaster:

Do not worry, about understanding, for now. The next July month, there will be important news, with more specifications and topics, of interest, from the Advanced PRIME GRAPHING CALCULATOR. At the right time, HP, the give to know. Stay tuned, on this site.

Valued Contributor
MarcioB
Message 10 of 24 (16,865 Views)

It reminds me of the TI-Nspire™ CX Handhelds.

Respected Contributor
stavpal __
Message 11 of 24 (16,782 Views)

It's a pity they haven't included an micro sd card slot. I can't understand why not do it.

Valued Contributor
MarcioB
Message 12 of 24 (16,778 Views)

I don't doubt it has other forms of communication such as bluetooth, infra-red etc. SD cards are getting old. New PCs won't read them anymore! Pity, I couldn't agree more!

Honored Contributor
Miguel Angel Caporalini
Message 13 of 24 (16,761 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi!, MarcioB:

You can two way's, to communicate, with HP PRIME GRAPHING CALCULATOR.

1) Wireless, is alterantive option, with ... http://www.ti-bank.fr/index.php?mod=news&ac=commentaires&id=1907

2) With microUSB-USB cable, you can communicate with PC and connectivity kit.

Valued Contributor
MarcioB
Message 14 of 24 (16,733 Views)

Oh, relax. I'm just jelous that more powerful and faster calculators are beating up my 50g. I won't know what to do when one outsmarts it. :(

Respected Contributor
stavpal __
Message 15 of 24 (16,723 Views)

Does it have 3d graphing? I read somewhere is doesn't.

Valued Contributor
MarcioB
Message 16 of 24 (16,715 Views)

Does it support programming? I heard RPN was implemented as an app.

Honored Contributor
Miguel Angel Caporalini
Message 17 of 24 (16,698 Views)

Frequent Advisor
Vermagster
Message 18 of 24 (16,640 Views)

[ Edited ]

"Does it support programming? I heard RPN was implemented as an app."

RPN as an app, concerned the HP 39G II, not the HP Prime. TW said something cryptic about that part of the interview not being useful. That could mean that there, in fact, won't be any RPN app for the 39GII, or that it's an irrelevant fact for the RPN functionality, or, that in fact, RPN really is implemented as an app, on the Prime as well.

Regardless, the Prime has RPN mode. The only RPN there is, is in direct hand use. There is no RPN programming.

Prime supports programming. The language looks quite good. At least for people who like to type a lot ;) .

It's high level, Wirth-style structure, with easy and powerful access to graphics. It's probably well isolated from the machine, and won't allow people to get down and dirty. Keep in mind the main target market is education.

The bad part, of course, is that you can't transfer your old user-RPL programs. But if HP's HP 39G II and HP Prime do well, they might afford to do a RPN HP42S successor, and a RPN-RPL HP48G successor one day. Hopefully the ENTER key moves to the left side then, as well. ;)

Frequent Advisor
jc_cfa
Message 19 of 24 (16,568 Views)

After reading CEMETECH interview to GT Springer what I got "clear" is:

(1) HP Prime Graphing Calculator IS NOT an upgrade to HP 50G, but it seems it intends to compete with it and, if possible,  begin to "eat"  some market off it.  I guess their main target right now is High School Students, hoping they carry it to college.

(2)  GT Springer: "RPN will be a mode setting"... I think it clearly means it would work much in the same way it works for the HP 50G, but it doesn't mean you could use the libraries designed for the HP 50G in the HP Prime.  If GT doesn't specifically say it is possible is because most probably it is not!

Frequent Advisor
Vermagster
Message 20 of 24 (16,532 Views)

[ Edited ]

dear jc_cfa,

HP is probably in the process of rebuilding their calculator technology from scratch. Exactly how they intend to do that, they will not tell us, before they present the actual calculator models. That's how business works these days. You keep your cards close.

What we can know and understand, is that the largest market for advanced calculators today, is in education. So naturally, whatever HP plan to do or not to do, they have to begin with calculators for students. This is what they've done. With the HP 39G II (which I think is very neat, except that it's infix operation) and the Prime (which I don't like at all, but certainly approve of).

The old calculators were built on a software foundation of machine code for the Saturn CPU, with nibble addressing. This is a dead end, not leading forward. Even given slow emulators, the technology has run out of addressing space, if nothing else. So what they've done is to develop a new platform independent (at least portable) software foundation, for calculators, likely in C. This is what he speaks about in the interview, when he mentions the Prime as an origin for other calculators. This I assume is false. The first building block is more likely the HP 39GII. But you have to allow marketing some. They're so proud of their Prime name.

We can discuss HP marketing in the past, whether the calculator type that Ti have been able to, unopposed, brainwash teachers with, for decades, really is any good for students. We can discuss the schizophrenic mongrel of a calculator that is the HP50, the deplorable lack of a true HP 48 successor. But whatever, it doesn't change the fact that when HP works with school people to create a student calculator, - which they are forced to do, if they want to sell it, - they will come up with things like the Prime. We cannot fault their plans or execution. They do exactly what they reasonably have to do.

The Prime can't replace the HP 28 line of RPL calculators, nor the HP 42S. What HP ever intends to do about that, we don't know. Unfortunately, the market for intelligent and practical working calculators, becomes ever smaller. But if their student calculators sell well, they may at least have the maneuvering space and software platform to do interesting things.

Until then, it's the mongrel HP50, a stopgap successor to the HP48 with an infix-confused manual and all the keys and menus in the wrong places. It works. It'll probably be hard to get, eventually. Maybe the HP 42S story over again. We'll see. What annoys me is that it's so hard to decide if one should get a spare.

Frequent Advisor
Justin Koles
Message 21 of 24 (14,354 Views)

I don't get why HP did just bite the bullet and go all out with the next gen HP 50 successor?

There is no hardened case, just a screen and button cover, it also only alows for 2D functions

If they focused on bringing out a new upgrade for the 50 series every 5 to 6 years I would be a much happier user, this would mean that all there calculators would at minimum exceed or at most meet the necessary requirements

Honored Contributor
Miguel Angel Caporalini
Message 22 of 24 (14,343 Views)

Hi!, Justin:

The PRIME HP isn't, the successor to, the HP50G. Is a 5a.Generation microcomputer, specially designed for interactive use, through its wireless interface. If you need 3D graphics, you would have to do it through some program. The protective cover that brings, is similar to that which brought the HP49G.

You can see the comparison in Spanish, from ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDcd4Ye6_tY

Occasional Visitor
Nelson de Castro
Message 23 of 24 (8,303 Views)

The only RPN there is, is in direct hand use. There is no RPN programming.

No user-RPL. ¬¬

Prime supports programming. The language looks quite good. At least for people who like to type a lot ;) 

Needs to type a lot to program. ¬¬

The bad part, of course, is that you can't transfer your old user-RPL programs.

No old user-RPL programs. ¬¬

What a piece of...

Hey new HP engineers!

Please, make an HP 48 with MORE speed and MORE memory! Make an HP 48 WITH 16 GB of RAM FOR USER-RPL PROGRAMS AND with a 2 GHZ PROCESSOR!!!!!

Repeat with me, ENGINEERS: TO MA-KE AN HP-FOR-TY-EI-GTH WI-TH SIX-TEEN GI-GA-BY-TES OF RAM FOR U-SER-R-P-L PRO-GRAMS AND WI-TH A TWO GI-GA-HER-TZ PRO-CES-SOR, PE-RI-OD.

Honored Contributor
Tim Wessman
Message 24 of 24 (8,295 Views)

[ Edited ]

http://hp.giesselink.com/emu48.htm

Here you go. :-)

--

TW

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.