Re: HP 10BII+ It won't even calculate present value and future value problems. (4056 Views)
Occasional Visitor
sett1191
Message 1 of 14 (6,551 Views)

HP 10BII+ It won't even calculate present value and future value problems.

I have a finance test on Tuesday and the calculator won't work.
I've tried the manual too but I never get the correct answers.

N  = 3

I   = 10

PV = -5,000

Calculate FV  =  6,655 

The FV is supposed to be 6,655, but I keep getting 5,126.04.

If it doesn't work for a simple problem like this, it won't work for more complex problems. 

Please help. If this doesn't work should I just buy a new financial calculator because I lost my receipt?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Tim Wessman
Message 2 of 14 (6,496 Views)

Re: HP 10BII+ It won't even calculate present value and future value problems.

[ Edited ]

The calculator works fine and is doing excatly what you are telling it to do. You have P/YR (payments per year) set to 12 (the default). Set it to 1 and it gives the answer you expect. If you need to know how to do this, please see the book that came with your calculator and look at the first TVM example, pages 10-11, Table 1-12.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS check your P/YR to make sure it matches what the problem is asking. (ALWAYS!!!)

This is the #1 thing that causes students to fail exams. Make sure you match what the problem is asking.

--

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and comments expressed here are my own.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Miguel Angel Caporalini
Message 3 of 14 (6,488 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi!, sett1191:

If you're interested and you do not, you associate site of manuals, for HP10BII+, from ...  

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=5040216&task=&

And too, the learning modules, for HP10BII, from ... 

http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/cache/298123-0-0-225-121.html

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
blahbla998
Message 4 of 14 (6,095 Views)

Tim Wessman wrote:

The calculator works fine and is doing excatly what you are telling it to do. You have P/YR (payments per year) set to 12 (the default). Set it to 1 and it gives the answer you expect. If you need to know how to do this, please see the book that came with your calculator and look at the first TVM example, pages 10-11, Table 1-12.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS check your P/YR to make sure it matches what the problem is asking. (ALWAYS!!!)

This is the #1 thing that causes students to fail exams. Make sure you match what the problem is asking.

This was not helpful at all. The instructions show to press 4 then shift down and then p/yr to change it to 4....i get 48 in the n.....garbage

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
blahbla998
Message 5 of 14 (6,093 Views)

This was more helpful but still N did not change. This calculator should be as easy at my Sharp EL-733A but it is not. Does HP have a bad program here?

Miguel Angel Caporalini wrote:

Hi!, sett1191:

If you're interested and you do not, you associate site of manuals, for HP10BII+, from ...  

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=5040216&task=&

Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Bart dB
Message 6 of 14 (6,070 Views)

blahbla998 wrote:

This was more helpful but still N did not change. This calculator should be as easy at my Sharp EL-733A but it is not. Does HP have a bad program here?

Not at all. I used the TVM on the10BII+ myself today for some very different problems.

First financial, the payments for different loan options.

Second, the resistance value at different temperatures of an NTC thermal resistor found in my tek 'scope, given the value at a specified temperature and the % change per degree (a very rough approximation considering non-linearities etc., but the best with the data available).

It gave the expected solutions both times.

If you understand the fundementals of the formula and the problem, the solution is easy on any calculator.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Miguel Angel Caporalini
Message 7 of 14 (6,054 Views)

Hi!, blahbla998:

Welcome, to Forum!.

With HP10BII, HP10BII+, HP39GII, HP39GS, HP40GS ... and HP50G, you must put in Y/PR, the value = 1, for obtein, the correct result.

HP10BII.JPG HP50G.JPG

HP39GII.JPG HP39GS.JPG

HP40GS.JPG

But, in HP12C and HP12CP, you didn't need, put the P/Yr = 1

HP12C.JPG

Note: If you needed learn the use of TVM in the HP10BII+, see this ... http://www.educalc.net/1919487.page and this ... http://www.educalc.net/247086.page

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Tim Wessman
Message 8 of 14 (6,047 Views)

Post your problem and we'll show you where it is going wrong.

Like I said before, the #1 reason why things do not work with ANY finacance calculator is that your payment periods do not match the given data in one way or another. The 10bII+ comes by default at 12 P/PYR. If you have not changed it to 1 and the problem is assuming 1 period per year, your result will be incorrect.

To set your payments per year, type the number and press orange shift PMT.

--

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and comments expressed here are my own.
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Bart dB
Message 9 of 14 (6,044 Views)

[ Edited ]

.... and for the HP-30b, here's a video to demonstrate. The 10BII+ works the same way. It is a zipped windows AVI file and should play in Media Player.

EDIT: this video shows how to do the problem stated in the original post. However, unles you understand what Tim is saying, you are headed for trouble with future problems.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Miguel Angel Caporalini
Message 10 of 14 (5,983 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi!, blahbla998:

In the next site, all solutions, for Finance, for HP10BII+. See, all pages (1 to 12) ... http://www.studyfinance.com/lessons/timevaluegrid/?page=01

Read carefully ...

PPY.JPG

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
tskoko
Message 11 of 14 (4,056 Views)

Too late to help... but:

The reason you are getting the wrong asnwer is that you are entering the interest rate incorrectly, hitting the [g] [i] keys. For example,

5000 [PV], 3[n], 10[g][i], [FV} will return -5,126.04

if you enter it as it should be:

ple,

5000 [PV], 3[n], 10[i], [FV} will return -6,655.00

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
LeeV
Message 12 of 14 (1,907 Views)

I am having the same problem on my new HP 10bII.  I have tried using the following keystrokes: 1, SHIFT, P/YR.  The display then reads 12 and I am getting inaccurate results.  I don't seem to be able to get it to change to annual payments.  

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Joseph Horn
Message 13 of 14 (1,895 Views)

LeeV wrote:

I am having the same problem on my new HP 10bII.  I have tried using the following keystrokes: 1, SHIFT, P/YR.  The display then reads 12 and I am getting inaccurate results.  I don't seem to be able to get it to change to annual payments.  

I suspect that you are pressing Shift N instead of Shift PMT.  Shift N is ×P/YR (notice the × in front), and Shift PMT is P/YR.  Let us know if that helps.

-Joe-
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Undertm
Message 14 of 14 (905 Views)

You have the calculator set to 12 periods per year.

Remedy

clear all (shift down and C)

select the number  1, then click down shift (in Orange) , the P/YR

you have now set the calculator to 1 payment per yeasr opposed to 12.

Now try your calculation and it works.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation