my system currenty has win 2000pro
I a wanting to upgrade it to win xp
my system wont up grade to it any help would be helpful thanks. keith
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 2 of 18 (914 Views)

Re: upgrade questions

First what model is your computer? Most computers that will run Win 2K will upgrade with an upgrade to memory and the size of the Hard drive.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Keith Ford
Message 3 of 18 (914 Views)

it is a vectra vli8sf
d9693av
us02768637
what has happened is I want to upgrade to
xp when i put in the win xp disk the cd does not read it will not up grade keep in mind I did not purchase this comp new it is used.
I bought it from my work as a spare.
I have noticed that when I re boot that the LED'S for the power, there is another one
looks like a "lock" led lights up could this be the problem or somthing else. thanks for the help.. k.f.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 4 of 18 (914 Views)

First before you spend any more time or money inspect the Electrolytic capacitors around the CPU for a greenish brown material leaking out of them or buldges on the top of the cans. For an example of bad parts see about the second page on this site www.badcaps.net. If the capacitors look OK with the power off start tapping the F2 to get into setup then press the power button and this should get you into setup. In setup I think it is under advanced options look for a boot order tab. I have mine set to boot from a floppy, then CDROM, then Hard drive. I would wipe the HD with a proigram called Dericks Boot and Nuke and then load XP if you don't wipe the HD you may get an upgrade to win 2K instead of a clean install of XP. The other question is how big is the hard drive. XP will load with smaller drives but I know it will load complete with a 20 GB drive. I have a VLi8 450 MHZ that has an 80 GB HD in it but the BIOS will only see 65536 KB. The manuals for the Vli8 are here. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual〈=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64180&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=32861
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Keith Ford
Message 5 of 18 (914 Views)

Thanks for the help I will let you know what happens. thanks Ron..
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Keith Ford
Message 6 of 18 (914 Views)

To Ron or to anybody. my comp. has a 40g hard drive and 256mb ram in it 500mhz.
I tried derricke boot but it wount not load it. I was wondering that is there some dip switches on the mother board that would keep it from reading from the cd drive. it will read from the 3.5 floppy dr. the cd drive was working before we started upgrading so I would not think it went out. and the cap's
look ok.. thanks K.F.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 7 of 18 (914 Views)

On the Boot and Nuke I prefer the floppy. You may need to take the floppy apart and Oil the bearings and put some lubricant on the worm shaft. Go into setup F2 at startup and set the boot order as follows Floppy, CDrom ,HD. That may solve your problems will the floppy read any disk in Windows explorer? If it will you may not need to clean and lubricate it.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 8 of 18 (914 Views)

The 40 GB HD is plenty unless you store a lot of pictures and music on it I just burn all that to CDRs for archiving
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Keith Ford
Message 9 of 18 (914 Views)

Thanks Ron we will give this another try when I get back home.
thanks again for you help. K.F.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Keith Ford
Message 10 of 18 (914 Views)

just got windows xp-sp2 loaded on the hd
however when you boot it it gives a error.
ntldr is missing. I created a boot dsk.
for it and tried to let it boot from the floppy dsk and then start the hd however it just tries to reboot itself over and over it displays
nt detectfailed.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 11 of 18 (911 Views)

This is a bit of a guess put your XP disk in and let it boot then select the repair option. I have seen a few cases of bad Disks and also a CDrom that was flakey. If you have a CDROM cleaner run it before you try to repair.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Keith Ford
Message 12 of 18 (911 Views)

Hey Ron yea this one has been somthing to troubleshoot... as i wrote the reply I went ahead last night to the microsoft web site to down load the six boot disks. the only thing I can think of it may be is a bad cd rom.
I installed windows xp on the hd from another computer i had and just reinstalled it in this comp. because I was suppecting the cd could not read it. I can you put a os
on a thumb drive and install it that way?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 13 of 18 (911 Views)

I replaced my CDROM with a CDRW drive on mine. You can try the USB approach but these only have a USB1.1 port. I put a USB 2.0 card on mine by SIIG. Have you tried clearing the CMOS? You will most likely have to reset the date and time. The optical drives aren't the most bullet proof drives I have run across I think I am on the 2nd CDRW drive on mine. The laser fails on these faily often. Out of 34 machines I have had to replace 10 drives the age varied from new machines to 8 years on the drives.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Keith Ford
Message 14 of 18 (911 Views)

were did you get your cd drive at? mine has the slim type cdr. and no i havent reflashed the bios yet. I was looking at the link you sent me and going by the manuial there is some changing of some dip switches. I have downloaded the latest bios version on a floppy. when i get back home i will give that a try. i paused it to see what verson my bios was i am thinking it was a 9.0 or somthing like that.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 15 of 18 (911 Views)

I have the full sized Desktop version so any IDE CDROM dive will work. It sounds like you have the SFF version. I don't know that I would worry about the BIOS flash. The latest one gets flakey on the video driver and won't shut down correctly and uninstall the ATI driver after the video update and let windows install the default driver. You can play games with the Registry and it will shut down. Have you tried a CDROM cleaner disk?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 16 of 18 (911 Views)

This is most likely the correct service handbook for your machine. http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpv06673/lpv06673.pdf
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Keith Ford
Message 17 of 18 (911 Views)

Hey Thanks for the link for the man. havent had a chance to look at it yet. lol we are getting some severe weather down here after mid night. so we will look at it tommow.
no i havent cleaned my cd yet were would you go get the cleaner you are talking about.
I wllcheck into it and try it. its is strange before we made the up grade the cd rom was working the reason that i say that is I tried to install microsoft office 2003 on it and it would try to load up and install. i done this just to make sure that the cd was working probility dosent mean anything. i will tey to clean it there was alot if dust bunnies in her.. lol. K.F.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 18 of 18 (911 Views)

You should be able to buy the cleaning disks at Office Depot, Staples,Radio Shack, Best Buy Etc. sometimes the drives get really dirty inside. Here is what I have found on what appears to be your CDROM drive. http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/bpv03426/bpv03426.pdf The other information is here. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual〈=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=62210 I would take a look at the drive and make sure that it is a slim line drve.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation