Re: hooking up cables for cd/dvd (236 Views)
Occasional Visitor
YOON SHIN
Message 1 of 6 (236 Views)

hooking up cables for cd/dvd

[ Edited ]

i'm having trouble hooking up the cables for my cd and dvd player inside my hp vectra vl system.

i can hear the dvd player starting up, but quits after a brief time (10 seconds)...it stops spinning.

i have cables labeled p2,p3,p5,p6 and p7.

i have tried every combination, but to avail.

does anyone know which cable goes where?

This thread has been moved from Archived Desktops and Workstations Boards>general to Business PCs - Evo, Deskpro, Vectra, Kayak, Brio, e-PC-HP Forums Moderator

Occasional Advisor
Edwards
Message 2 of 6 (236 Views)

Re: hooking up cables for cd/dvd

The way you explain the problem I'm assuming u cant see the (CD/DVD) on your PC when running windows.

As also I assume the cables p2-p7 are the power cables coming from the power supply, the order of them won't matter as long you can connect power to the peripheral device.

The Problem may be on the jumper setting of the Drives and the order you connected on the IDE/EIDE Data Cable. There are 2 orders Master and Slave and there labeled on IDE data cable, on both (CD/DVD) devices theres a label sticked on the top describing which order the jumper has to be on a master or slave.
Note: there's some devices that do not require a jumper to be connected for slave devices but check the label first.

Now if you already set the drives right and they appear on your PC running windows and you insert a dvd or cd and spins for 10 secs but cant access the drive well the problem can be:

.Your DVD is broken change it and or buy a new one
.Maybe the CD or DVD can't be read by the device try another one to see the device works or try to use a CD/DVD cleaner
.Theres a possibility that the device has the wrong driver if thats the case go to the device manufacture website.If that doesn't work well Google is your friend :)

I hope this long explanation help somehow.
Good luck.
Occasional Visitor
YOON SHIN
Message 3 of 6 (236 Views)

thanks for replying.

no i can't see the cd/dvd player when running windows, and the cables are coming from a power supply.

i'm pretty sure, i connected the ide/eide cable and jumper cabes correctly.

i should also explain the hp cpu came with a cd player that originally did not work (no dvd)...when i first started the (used)hp unit up, it displayed a cd player error, and the cd would spin for about ten seconds and die out.

i got another cd player and a dvd player off another machine and installed it, which worked for several weeks (although very loudly) until i took out the hard drive to try and install in a different cpu that i was given...when i put the harddrive back in to the hp that i took it out of, the cd/dvd player would not work.

did i screw up the harddrive when i tried to install it in another pc...i couldn't get it to boot up in the other pc, so i put it back into the hp.

although i don't get the cd player error when i start the computer up, i get the feeling there's something wrong with the drive.

i hope this makes sense...any ideas on what i should do?
Occasional Advisor
Edwards
Message 4 of 6 (236 Views)

Interesting.. Hmmm.
Branded PC's can be a pain in the neck regarding on the hardware but well we have them anyway.
Well First, when you move a Hard Drive whit an Operating System already installed from 1 case to another case naturally it wont boot on the second case because the hardware is totally different and the OS its not configured for the new hardware. It wont damage the hard drive if you're careful handling it, but since its microsoft OS many things can happen I can tell ya that from experience.

In order to make it work on the second case u must install the OS again in order to work on the other case.

Now regarding the CD and the DVD you obtained from the Case 2 u said they work fine (though loudly)Until u moved the Hard Drive and put it Back to the case 1, you can see them on the OS but you're not able to access media.

These may solve this problem maybe if you are running Win XP:

.Uninstall the 2 devices and Reinstall
Use the Device Manager, to do this
Right Click My PC > Hardware Tab> Click the Device Manager Button to open the Device Manager program
Once there click the (+) on the CD/DVD you should be able to see the 2 devices. Select one of them and do right click > Uninstall
Once done on the 2 devices Shut Down the PC If you want to check the Devices Cables or Simply Restart.
If windows doesn't automatically detect the devices use the add hardware from the Control Panel
If Windows Still doesn't like the 2 devices well..
U may want to Zero clean your Hard Drive totally and Install Windows Again to remove any misconfiguration.

Wish ya luck

Occasional Visitor
YOON SHIN
Message 5 of 6 (236 Views)

i uninstalled and reinstalled both cd and dvd hardware, but the same thing happens.

when i tried to troubleshoot the device, i get this message:

this device is not working properly because windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (code 31)

this device depends on another device that is not functioning correctly.

i don't know what zero cleaning you hard drive is...when it comes to computer tech, like bush in iraq, i'm clueless.

i can't reinstall windows again because i don't have a recovery disk...bought the hp cpu, used for 30 bucks on craigs list with os already installed on it.

to my shock, when i tried to contact the person about the misfunctioning cd player, i got no response...ohhh, the humanity.

Occasional Visitor
YOON SHIN
Message 6 of 6 (236 Views)

i uninstalled and reinstalled the hardware, but without any luck.

when i tried to troubleshoot the problem, i got this message:

this device is not working properly because windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (code 31)

this device depends on another device that is not functioning correctly.

i don't know what zero cleaning your hard drive is...when it comes to computer tech, like bush in iraq, i'm clueless.

no recovery disk...bought this system used on craigs list for 30 bucks with windows 2000 already installed on it.

to my shock, when i tried to contact the used car salesman about the non functioning cd player, i got no reply...ohhh, the humanity.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.