e-vectra - green led of external power supply blinking (1363 Views)
Frequent Visitor
Innocent
Message 1 of 7 (1,363 Views)

e-vectra - green led of external power supply blinking

Hello everyone,

I have an e-Vectra PIII computer that has been working fine until last night. When I acquired it over two years ago, it was already upgraded to 200GB hard disk (don’t know how but it was working fine).

I use this computer in conjunction with a large Philips Plasma TV as monitor (Not a HD ready model). Last night it was working fine when, while watching youtube, my son typed the same video clip name with HD. On the results he clicked on the first finding but as soon as he pressed the button, the computer hung up with both LEDs continuously on and nothing on the screen. I tried to restart using ctrl+alt+del several times but in vain. Finally I unplugged the external power supply.

Now the problem is that nothing is happening except that the green light on external power supply keeps blinking (rather than steady) when I plug it to the computer. I opened the computer. All capacitors and other components seems fine (at least visually).

Any clue as to what would have happened and where to start now?

I have already tried powering it while keeping the power button pressed but no success.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 2 of 7 (1,346 Views)

Re: e-vectra - green led of external power supply blinking

This is a bit of a guess but I think you power supply is overloaded. What is the rated output voltage and current it should say on the side of the power supply?

Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
Innocent
Message 3 of 7 (1,339 Views)

Thanks for your input. Power supply is 19V and approx. 3.5A (If I remember correctly). It is genuine HP power supply that came with computer. I tried this power supply on another Acer laptop and that is working fine.

LED on power supply only blinks as soon as connected to the computer otherwise it stays steady green.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
Innocent
Message 4 of 7 (1,327 Views)

[ Edited ]

I think I have now found at least one culprit. After removing the hard disk, I can see one capacitor with bulging top. The one shown with red arrow in the attached photograph. Now whether the problem is because of this capacitor or not, I dont know. Any comment about the the association of this capacitor to any particular group or function?

Rating on the capacitor is not very clear. Could someone please confirm if it is 1000uf, 6.3V, 105C or ?

One question is about accessing the other side of the board. Should I remove all bits (screws etc.) and remove the PCB to replace the faulty capacitor or simply removing the other sides plastic cover would reveal the area where the capacitor is attached?

Most effective dismantling sequence will be of great help.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
Innocent
Message 5 of 7 (1,310 Views)

Hi,

I have now managed to get the motherboard out and get it tested from an appropriately qualified and experienced person. He checked the motherboard and found out that one of the two regulators near CPU (FDB7030Bl) is not working. He also checked the suspected bulged capacitor for short circuit but found that the capacitor, though bulged is still working and not the main cause of this problem.

Now the questions are:

1. What caused damage to this component?
  2. How to identify and confirm?
  3. Where to get this component and how easy to remove/ re-weld (apparently the flat surface is also welded!) it?   
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 6 of 7 (1,295 Views)

I think you may be ahead to replace the motherboard rather try to fix it. Here is one company that may or may not have a source for the parts. I have changed out the capacitors and it isn't fun. The PC board is constructed so it is almost impossible to unsolder the parts. I did one P4 board more to prove that it can be done than anything. I finally ended up drilling the PC Board holes out I couldn't get the solder to suck out of the holes. I would try Ebay and see if you can find anything there then I would try Netway 2000 at 1-877-638-9292 You may be able to buy a whole machine cheaper than reparing the one you have. The capacitor in the picture is on the way out. I think the board has reached end of life. 

Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
Innocent
Message 7 of 7 (1,292 Views)

Thanks for your input.

I will see if I can find a replacement board ... may be from ebay..

Regards,

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation