e-pc c10 disk upgrade (987 Views)
Occasional Contributor
ratherbefishing
Message 1 of 7 (987 Views)
Accepted Solution

e-pc c10 disk upgrade

I would like to use a spare e-pc c10 / W2K as a simple (not fast) local file server. I need to swap in a bigger disk and have a few questions.

Can someone tell me the max power available for the hard disk? Most 3.5" ones that I see use more power than the existing 20 gig. Maybe I should use a 2.5" instead?

If I interpret other threads on here correctly the biggest disk it will boot with is 135 meg, BIOS can see only 65 megs.

If I use third party software that allows the OS to see a larger disk will that remove the 135 meg boot limit too, or is that a hard limit?

TIA for any help :)
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 2 of 7 (987 Views)

Re: e-pc c10 disk upgrade

The newer drive are usually more efficient. Look at some of the Seagate 3.5 drives. The BIOS limit is your 65536MB. You can use larger drives with software but if you should happen to run any disk utilities other than the drive manufactuers you may destroy anything loaded on the drive. How about a USB external drive.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
ratherbefishing
Message 3 of 7 (987 Views)

Thanks Ron. USB is a good thought. Might save a lot of hassle but I guess it will only be 1.0. I'll test it and see how well it works.

I've never used a usb disk except as a portable device. In a fixed application is it your experience that it will it reliably reconnect the disk at boot up, and with the same drive letter? This will be in a remote location so close to bulletproof would be nice.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 4 of 7 (987 Views)

My intent was to load the OS on the internal drive and use the USB drive for storage. I think you have a USB 1.1 port on this machine from the vintage. Unless it says advanced or enhanced. if you put the latest SPs on the win 2K you should then be able to read them on another XP machine in the future. I have a pavilion laptop that has a 20 GB drive and it runs very well. The Technical refereance manual is here. http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpv06981/lpv06981.pdf the Service Handbook is here. http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpv06987/lpv06987.pdf One problem is the maximum memory is limited to 256 MB which can slow things way down even with Win 2K. The maximu hard drive supplied was 40 GB. The other manuals are here. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual〈=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64180&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=32384
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
ratherbefishing
Message 5 of 7 (987 Views)

Yes I'm leaving the OS on the original 20 gig drive. I bought a 250 gig Toshiba usb drive yesterday. It was already partitioned & formatted (FAT32) so it was ready to go as soon as I connected it. That sure saved me a lot of time and hassle. Thanks again for the suggestion!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Fritz Klein
Message 6 of 7 (987 Views)

I am currently using an e-pc c10 with an 1.0 TB "green" Harddisk WD10EACS (and a Delock Sata-IDE Converter No. 61317) and FreeNAS as a fileserver on my home network. It works great!
Regards, Agfa47
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
michael yas
Message 7 of 7 (987 Views)

2Fritz Klein
>I am currently using an e-pc c10 with an 1.0 TB "green" Harddisk WD10EACS
do you use native power supply (19V x 3.15A), or Harddisk powered from separate power supply?
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation