Re: e-pc 42 (upgraded optical unit not seen by BIOS) (1388 Views)
Advisor
Elsa
Message 1 of 10 (1,561 Views)

e-pc 42 (upgraded optical unit not seen by BIOS)

Hello,

I am upgrading some of the components for our e-pc 42 systems. Now is the turn of the optical unit.

These computers came with slim CD-R and just got some new DVD+R. The unit is detected well by the OS (Windows XP Pro) and seems working fine. The problem is that I cannot boot from CD/DVD as the unit is not visible by the BIOS when I get the Boot menu (F8 > F2) (I think this is a cable-select problem but have no clue about how to solve it).

There are 2 IDE ports and hard disk is attached to one of them. Optical units is attached to the second IDE port (both devices do not share the same cable). HDD is setup (by means of jumpers) to cable-select but optical unit is jumperless. Any tips on how to solve this? What needs to be tweaked to get the optical unit visible form BIOS? Needs to be setup as "master", "slave" or "cable-select"?

Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 2 of 10 (1,557 Views)

Re: e-pc 42 (upgraded optical unit not seen by BIOS)

Look at the manual on the optical drive and make sure that it is set to CS or cable select It may show as a CD drive in setup. If it doesn't register in Setup most likely it is jumpered wrong take a look at the Drive manual if it didn't come with one take a look for a manual on the manufactures website . You may also want to clear the CMOS and let it redetect everything and you may have to reset the date and time. Look for a jumper /Switch that is labeled clear CMOS on the motherboard unplug the power cord and press the switch or move the jumper to the other set of pins and wit 10 seconds and move it back or release the switch.

Advisor
Elsa
Message 3 of 10 (1,551 Views)

Thanks for replying.

I've made a BIOS reset but DVD is still being unrecognized by the BIOS :-(

Maybe a need an IDE adapter that allows me to manually select the master/slave position, because I cannot get any firmware upgrade nor manual from device manufacturer (BTW, the unit is TS-L632D Asus branded, firmware rev. AS06).

Any other suggestion is very welcome.

Honored Contributor
Eino V
Message 4 of 10 (1,546 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi

I think that your computer is so old, that its bios can not recognise dvd drives. I have not used this computer, so I am not sure.

Eino

Advisor
Elsa
Message 5 of 10 (1,535 Views)

Mmm, I don't think so. The drive is recognnized by the OS as "slave" (I just chacked) and the old one was setup as "master".

I have bought an IDE-slim adapter (50-40 pin) that allows setting the master/slave/cs jumper and as soon as I test it I'll report back.

Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 6 of 10 (1,510 Views)

I would have expected it to register as a CD drive in setup. if set to CS

Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 7 of 10 (1,509 Views)

I think I would try a different drive after reading the Google page here.    http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=asus+ts-l632d&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=... I would try another DVD drive if you have one you may need to put a longer cable in to do it but temporarily use another cable and mount it external to make sure that it isn't a cable/drive problem. 

Advisor
Elsa
Message 8 of 10 (1,494 Views)

I going nuts...

Well, I think the problem with the drive is just it gets detected as slave and BIOS can only boot from master devices.That said, I bought an adapter that allowed me to select (by hardware) the ide master/slave/cs state but I am facing another problem here. I cannot find an adapter for 50-pin IDE (motherboard cable) to 50-pin slim IDE (DVD drive) adapter.

I got 44-pin IDE to 50-pin IDE slim adapter → fail

I got 40-pin IDE to 50-pin IDE slim adapater → fail

Anyone here can point me to a link where to buy such adapter? It has to be 50-pin IDE (to motherboard) to 50-pin IDE slim for DVD connection and allow manual selection of master/slave/cs. I cannot find any piece in the market... Thanks in advance for any tip.

Advisor
Elsa
Message 9 of 10 (1,434 Views)

Okay, this is getting very weird :-)

As I cannot get any suitable adapter for the optical unit that allows me to select the master/slave/CS position, I bought the original HP part for this computer (P9568T), a DVD-ROM (only read) device (D4388-60601¹) . It has arrived today and... it does not work either!

So... what am I missing? This is an original HP part and BIOS cannot see the unit. I'm totally lost here :-?

Thanks for any hint.

¹ http://h20141.www2.hp.com/Hpparts/part_where_used.aspx?mscssid=C5C3E3F55CA848A2BCDC39C8B75AA6F9&Sear...

Advisor
Elsa
Message 10 of 10 (1,388 Views)

Just for the record (in the event someone gets stuck at the same situation), I finally reached a solution that fits my needs.

Some points/facts:

- Optical drive for this computer has to be configured as "cable select/master".

- There are in the market some slim IDE (50-pin) to standard IDE (40-pin) adapters that allow setting the jumpers of the optical device but this computer comes with special IDE cable attached to the board (micro-IDE?) that cannot fit into standard IDE socket.

- I attached one of the recently bought DVD+RW unit to IDE 1 port (removed the hard disk and connected the ODD) and it was visible by the BIOS. That proves that optical drive was fine and this was just a jumper problem.

- Almost any slim DVD+RW units are jumperless and firmware driven so they are configured as cable-select/slave or in any combination that is not useful for this computer.

So, provided that the only handicap is that BIOS cannot detect the DVD+RW device (installed system just plays nice with it),  when I want to boot any DVD/CD disk, I have to use a floppy drive unit (USB) to load a bootmanager and let do it the task :-)

There is still another  option: network boot (PXE), that could be also a good workaround to bypass this.

HTH.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.