Re: e-pc 42 (maximum hard disk size) (1267 Views)
Advisor
Elsa
Message 1 of 6 (1,355 Views)

e-pc 42 (maximum hard disk size)

Hello,

I am upgrading some e-pc 42 machines and now looking for a bigger hard disk. The system came with 20 GiB (2 partitions of 10 each one) and wonder what limitation does the BIOS has, regarding hard disk size. I plan to install Windows XP Pro on them.

I would like avoiding using any of the hdd manufacturers tools for by-passing BIOS limitations (such Seagate's DDo -Dynamic Drive Overlay-).

Thanks for any hint on this.

Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 2 of 6 (1,340 Views)

Re: e-pc 42 (maximum hard disk size)

The limits on machines of this vintage on HD size  128 GB. See this doc.  http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpv19014&lang=en&cc=us&taskId...  ,  http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpv19979&lang=en&cc=us&taskId... If the second doc is correct you may not have problems with the larger disks. I have a Vli8 and it has a 65 GB BIOS limit so when I ran FDISK on it I just the the one usable partition to 64 GB. I have an 80 GB drive in it.   The maximum memory is 1024 MB I would make sure that you have at least 512 MB of RAM or XP will be miserably slow    

Advisor
Elsa
Message 3 of 6 (1,335 Views)

Ron,

Thanks for that information, really appreciated.

I guess I'd go for 120 GiB. hard disks. I'll report back as soon as I got them installed.

As per RAM memory, thanks for the tip. In fact, the e-pc 42 systems we have at the office are already running Windows XP SP3 with 512 MB of RAM installed (performance is... let's say, "fine"), but I've also planned an upgrade to 1 GB. of RAM for all of them :-)

Advisor
Elsa
Message 4 of 6 (1,298 Views)

Reporting back... success!

I finally got a 160 GiB hard disk and seems to be working and detected perfectly (windows sees the unit with 149 GiB although I splitted into 2 partition of ~75 GiB, one for OS and other for data).

Then I used Clonezilla to clone the old system partition (~10 GiB) and then restored into the new hard disk (Gparted was needed to increase the windows partition to fit into its new size -75 GiB).

Thanks for your help.

Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 5 of 6 (1,280 Views)

Make sure that it is detected corrected in Setup F2 at boot. On this machine start tapping the F2 key and then press the power button to get into setup.  There can be problems in DOS if the BIOS dosen't see the whole HD.

Advisor
Elsa
Message 6 of 6 (1,267 Views)

Thanks for the advice.

I see no BIOS option that shows the hard disk size. It's a  pretty simple BIOS, BTW, only two tabs. I can't even see a field for the installed memory... HP tools agent displays the right hard disk size and full installed memory.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.