Words unexpectedly disappear when typing (in multiple applications) (858 Views)
Occasional Visitor
smiley_mau
Message 1 of 3 (858 Views)

Words unexpectedly disappear when typing (in multiple applications)

Hello, I just got an HP Pro 3005 Microtower Business PC with Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11.0 pre-installed. I have trouble when typing in Open Office Writer, Kmail, and zim, among other applications. It's not due to unintentional use of the 'insert' key, either.

When I type in these applications, the word I am typing often disappears entirely if I don't add a space, return, or punctuation at the end of the word, or use the arrow keys. For example, when setting up a profile in Kmail, I typed my email address into the settings dialog box, and it kept removing the last part of the address: "myname@univ.edu" would always become "myname@univ." unless I added a space after the edu.

When I first encountered this behavior, in Writer, I thought it was a bug with the AutoComplete feature. But now that I've seen it in other applications, I think it is something more general. Any ideas of how to stop the unexpectedly deletion of words while typing?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 2 of 3 (845 Views)

Re: Words unexpectedly disappear when typing (in multiple applications)

This sounds like a Virus/Spyware. AVG has  a free scanner for Linux . I would give it a try. Have you checked your drivers for the keyboard would be my other guess.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
smiley_mau
Message 3 of 3 (763 Views)

Re: Words unexpectedly disappear when typing (in multiple applications)

Thanks for your response! After lots of furious hunting, I figured it out:

It turned out to be a setting on my computer. While typing, I unknowingly hit shift+space, which turned on SCIM (Smart Common Input Method). To prevent this from happening again, I just had to remove shift+space as a trigger. I got this from the following link (which also has steps to remove the trigger): http://www.kimvette.org/linux/shift-space-underlines-text-in-kde

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation