Words unexpectedly disappear when typing (in multiple applications) (879 Views)
Occasional Visitor
smiley_mau
Message 1 of 3 (879 Views)

Words unexpectedly disappear when typing (in multiple applications)

Hello, I just got an HP Pro 3005 Microtower Business PC with Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11.0 pre-installed. I have trouble when typing in Open Office Writer, Kmail, and zim, among other applications. It's not due to unintentional use of the 'insert' key, either.

When I type in these applications, the word I am typing often disappears entirely if I don't add a space, return, or punctuation at the end of the word, or use the arrow keys. For example, when setting up a profile in Kmail, I typed my email address into the settings dialog box, and it kept removing the last part of the address: "myname@univ.edu" would always become "myname@univ." unless I added a space after the edu.

When I first encountered this behavior, in Writer, I thought it was a bug with the AutoComplete feature. But now that I've seen it in other applications, I think it is something more general. Any ideas of how to stop the unexpectedly deletion of words while typing?

Thanks.

Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 2 of 3 (866 Views)

Re: Words unexpectedly disappear when typing (in multiple applications)

This sounds like a Virus/Spyware. AVG has  a free scanner for Linux . I would give it a try. Have you checked your drivers for the keyboard would be my other guess.

Occasional Visitor
smiley_mau
Message 3 of 3 (784 Views)

Re: Words unexpectedly disappear when typing (in multiple applications)

Thanks for your response! After lots of furious hunting, I figured it out:

It turned out to be a setting on my computer. While typing, I unknowingly hit shift+space, which turned on SCIM (Smart Common Input Method). To prevent this from happening again, I just had to remove shift+space as a trigger. I got this from the following link (which also has steps to remove the trigger): http://www.kimvette.org/linux/shift-space-underlines-text-in-kde

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.