Re: WinXP and RIS (84 Views)
Occasional Visitor
James_256
Message 1 of 4 (84 Views)

WinXP and RIS

[ Edited ]

I am have the same problem as this guy

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xfb8a3f9a15add711abdc0090277a778c,00.html

Not matter what I do WinXP over Win2000 Server RIS on a Compaq EVO 510 CMT, doesn't work. It just tells me I need the required drivers. This really makes me ticked. My company buys these for our stations. If ya'll can't fix this I am going to have to stop buying compaqs or HPs.

I have tried copying driver files to I386 and to $OEM$\$1\Drivers\Nic and editing the .sif file for OemPreinstall=Yes and OemPnpDriversPath=Drivers\Nic. Nothing works. We are just told that the driver cannot be loaded.

I can deploy Windows 2000 with no problems.

I have been using SP20955.exe to get my drivers what is wrong!

I need to know exactly what files go where. I want names and locations. I've seen too many "*.inf's" and "*.sys's" over the last 2 months.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Windows based to Business PCs - Evo, Deskpro, Vectra, Kayak, Brio, e-PC.
-HP Forum Moderator

Respected Contributor
Dries Bertier
Message 2 of 4 (84 Views)

Re: WinXP and RIS

Do you have SP3 installed on your windows 2000 server ?

Dries
<< please try >>
Occasional Visitor
Neale Simpkins
Message 3 of 4 (84 Views)

I have exactly the same problem RIS saying I have the wrong drivers. My RIS server is W2K SP4. Any one get this working please let me know
Occasional Visitor
Paul_381
Message 4 of 4 (84 Views)

I know exactly how you feel here. I tried a number of things to sort the network drivers issue. In the end I located the XP and Win 2000 drivers for the network card installed on my machines and then placed them into the I386 directory of the image that I had created and also (as microsoft instructed) installed them into the $OEM$ folder and the NIC folder alongside the I386 folder. I then went through microsofts document step by step. This seems to have solved it. That is until I have got to the next problem where the system hangs during the "Starting WIndows" stage.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.