Why does the keyboard power-on function not work on a VL420 (52 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Paul Whitby
Message 1 of 5 (52 Views)

Why does the keyboard power-on function not work on a VL420

[ Edited ]

We have purchased several Vectra VL420's. The power-on by spacebar feature does not work. Why is this? Has HP removed or overlooked this feature. If it is an oversight, can it be re-introduced by means of a BIOS update?

Regards

Paul

P.S. this thread has been moved from Archived Desktops and Workstations Boards > Windows based to  Business PCs - Evo, Deskpro, Vectra, Kayak, Brio, e-PC. - HP Forum Moderator

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Paul Whitby
Message 2 of 5 (52 Views)

Re: Why does the keyboard power-on function not work on a VL420

It seems that the mobo is a re-badged Asus P4B-MX and on the Asus site it states that the keyboard power-on feature is controlled by a jumper setting at the KBPWR header.
These three pins can be set to 1-2 to disable power-on and 2-3 to enable keyboard power-on. HP in their wisdom do NOT provide these three pins to be jumpered.. There is only three small solder points where these pins should be. So, in answer to the question, these Vectra VL420's do not support, and from what I can deduce, will never support keyboard power-on. I will continue to attempt to get a definite statement from HP.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
pla_1
Message 3 of 5 (52 Views)

As far as i know the power on function works with a VL420. Maybe you should check the bios(f2) to see or the functions is enabled.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Paul Whitby
Message 4 of 5 (52 Views)

I can assure you that the power-on function on a VL420 does NOT work. As I have stated in my earlier post, the jumpers for the keyboard power-on feature do not even exist on the motherboard, just the solder points that the pins would normally be connected to. The feature does not exist in the BIOS. We have just purchased 120 of this model and installed 40 of them.
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Dries Bertier
Message 5 of 5 (52 Views)

I'm also thinking that it is not supported anymore. If you cannot find it in bios it won't work.

Dries
<< please try >>
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation