Vectra Vei8 Cdrom missing in device manager (895 Views)
Occasional Visitor
bidtech
Message 1 of 3 (895 Views)

Vectra Vei8 Cdrom missing in device manager

I have an older vectra vei8 550 mhz mmx which the drive was formatted.  When Win 98 was reinstalled there is no cdrom.  The bios detects one on boot up but in windows it doesn't exist.  My ide drivers have ! next to the primary and secondary under device manager.  I don't have the original driver disk for this system.  Is there a way to correct this problem.

Regards

Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 2 of 3 (885 Views)

Re: Vectra Vei8 Cdrom missing in device manager

Check in setup and it should show as a CD rom there. If it doesn't then the cable has come unseated or the drive has died. Take the top cover off and inspect the connectors to the CDrom and also make sure that the drive is set to CS or Cable Select. CD rom failures are fairly common. out of 20 machine a while back I had 8 that wouldn't work. The vintage of the drives vried from very early to still under warrenty.

Frequent Advisor
Stefan Kühn
Message 3 of 3 (393 Views)

Re: Vectra Vei8 Cdrom missing in device manager

I think there is something wrong with the saved CMOS settings. Sounds like there are wrong settings interfere from a previous configuration.

1.) Clear CMOS and see if it helps.

2.) If not try another ribbon cable!

3.) If that does not help the connector either of the driver or motherboard may have an issue!

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.