Re: Vectra VL420 large new hard drive unrecognised (219 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Howard Borkett-Jones
Message 1 of 7 (1,581 Views)

Vectra VL420 large new hard drive unrecognised

I have installed a new 320GB Western Digital HDD replacing the existing 40GB HDD. I am running windows XP professional with SP 3. The set up only permits a 10GB C drive partition, and only recognises 117GB capacity of the remainder (D drive partition) i.e. a total of 127 GB only of the 320GB is recognised. Is this a fixable problem via an upgrade to the bios, if so, how - I am a novice at such things.

The System can however recognise an external 500GB Freecom USB HDD

Trying to load Ubuntu 8.10 to work alongside windows XP, the full size of the disk is recognised in an area of free space, though I don't think I can install Ubuntu in the free area.

Any one out there had success in using large internal HDDs with Vectra VL 420?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 2 of 7 (1,581 Views)

Re: Vectra VL420 large new hard drive unrecognised

Here is the answer to your qustion. http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1249174976361+28353475&... It appears that they never released the later version of the BIOS that supports 48 bit LBA. A qustion did you set the Drive to CS(cable Select) and is it in the master postion? The USB external drives don't appear to have the same limits as those that are directly accessed through the sytem onboard controllers.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Howard Borkett-Jones
Message 3 of 7 (1,581 Views)

Thanks for this advice.

The page to which you refer has a file attached called 231650.removethis

Is this the BIOS file? ( I was expecting it to be called JA.01.05US or something similar.) (I have determined that the current BIOS file on my computer is JA.01.04US). Should I burn this to a CD and then boot, or can it be flashed from within XP using HPFlash32.exe - I tried launching this file and it said that the system did not find the flash driver. I am sorry that I have no prior experience of flashing the BIOS and don't want to kill off the motherboard in the process.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 4 of 7 (1,581 Views)

Try this link. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12... It is listed as sp30221.exe and after you unblock it it should execute and build a DOS boot disk. To unblock a download. Download to the desktop. Right click the download, Select properties, On the window that comes up select the unblock button towards the bottom click it, then click the Apply button at the bottom right. Close the window the file should now exeute correctly. I prefer the DOS boot disk approach that way some windows process running in the background can't mess things up. Make sure to follow the instructions on the process carefully. You may have to go into setup F2 at boot and change the boot order to Floppy,CDRom, HD I think these options are under advanced.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
HowardBJ
Message 5 of 7 (1,581 Views)

Problem cured using HPFlash-exe upgrade of the BIOS. I was not able to flash the bios from DOS, though I tried this technique first. Thanks to Ron Silver.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jimbcous
Message 6 of 7 (1,157 Views)

Just went through this exercise today, and was successful in getting a VL420 to boot properly off a WD2500JB 250g drive with Windows XP SP3. Took the following steps:

1) Reflashed the BIOS to current JA.01.07 rev A, using the Windows flash tool included. No help, but needed in any event.

2) Using an old WD Data LifeGuard disk, had it enable >137gb (LargeLBA) support in registry on the existing factory 40g drive (it auto-detects BIOS inability to cope),

3) Using Data Lifeguard, had it create a single 250g partition and copy the existing boot partition off the 40g drive.

4) Disabled all start-up programs, rearranged the drives, and booted just fine.

For more info, see the Seagate write-up on >137gb issues at http://seagate.com/support/kb/disc/tp/137gb.pdf

Note that the newer stuff available at both Seagate and WD (both Acronis software) does not address this issue; you'll need to find an older Seagate DiscWizard or WD Data Lifeguard (I used ver. 11.3 from 2006). I think Maxtor's MaxBlast (I have v.3.6.1) would have handled this too, again referring to the Seagate article above for how this gets dealt with by overlaying the BIOS code during initial boot.

I've heard that others have experienced intermittent problems using this approach, but I've done this in the past with good results, especially with an OS that supports, or can be patched to support, large LBA. Only quirk I have seen so far is that Norton Security Suite Hardware Diagnostics tells me the drive is reporting that it's going to fail soon. Probably a bug in Norton, if I had to guess ...

The 420 is a pretty good box, especially if you feed it enough memory, so it's worth it to extend its abilities, especially if you can do it on the cheap without having to add a separate PCI controller. Whole project cost me $35, including the drive ...

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Stefan Kühn
Message 7 of 7 (219 Views)

Add a PCI controller card that has a reflashable bios and you will always be able to use up to date HDD's.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation