Re: Vectra VL400 DT (53 Views)
Occasional Visitor
JOHN WALSH_11
Message 1 of 4 (53 Views)

Vectra VL400 DT

[ Edited ]

We are alarge site and since the return from the Christmas break we are getting several
(8 to date) "Beepers". On power up we get sometimes 2 sometimes 3 beeps. Sometimes no beeps and no video output. Sometimes no power unless you hold the button in.
Any ideas on fixes, this is about the 3rd round of beeping we have had in the last 18months.
Was there ever a recall or patch/fix for this problem.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Archived Desktops and Workstations Boards > Windows based to Business PCs - Evo, Deskpro, Vectra, Kayak, Brio, e-PC. - Hp forum moderator

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Kinner
Message 2 of 4 (53 Views)

Re: Vectra VL400 DT

2 beeps means the power supply is in protected mode. This happens sometimes after a lightning hit on the power line. Try unplugging the AC, wait a few seconds and plug it back up again.

3 beeps means a bad memory. However, I suspect that what is happening is that the battery that retains the settings in your CMOS is weak and needs to be replaced. It probably has enough power to make it through a weekend but not enough to make it through the Xmas shutdown. Go into setup (F2 when you see the HP logo) and set it to the defaults and save and exit. If that corrects the problem then there is a good chance you need a new battery.

Holding the button in for 6 seconds causes it to run the pre-boot diagnostics. Again I think this is a sign of a weak battery but there was a BIOS upgrade back in 2001 which addressed some power on problems. You might check while you are in setup to see what date and version you have. If you want to try the newest BIOS you can get it at:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?locale=en_US〈=English&pnameOID=21228&prodSeriesId=32853&prodTypeId=12454&basePartNum=vc4856&locBasepartNum=vc4856en&os=Cross+OS&tech=BIOS

Other software upgrade are at:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=21228&locale=en_US&task...

Beep codes are in the Technical Reference.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&locale=...

which also shows you where the battery is. You can usually get one in the US at a drugstore or wal-mart.

Ron
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Kinner
Message 3 of 4 (53 Views)

HP says the battery is:

1420-0356
3.0V battery (20mm diameter, 3.2mm thick, 220 mA-hr) - Type CR2032 lithium

Their price on them is only $1.24 but I expect the shipping and handling would eat you alive. This is the most common computer battery so should be available almost anywhere.

Ron
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Anand Pandey
Message 4 of 4 (53 Views)

I am having similar proble, I am getting (one long folloed with one short) beeps three times. Should I consider it 3 beeps or 6 beeps? In either case what does it mean
? This is happening after sudden power failure. System does not put and no signal on monitor. Early reply highly appreciated. Thanks,
-Anand
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation