Re: VL400 Problem (338 Views)
Regular Visitor
emilyngau
Message 1 of 4 (355 Views)

VL400 Problem

Cannot reinstall the OS back after changing a new hard disk drive.  It shown Fatal Error, and ask to check hardware configuration.  What's the problem?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 2 of 4 (345 Views)

Re: VL400 Problem

Go into setup and make sure that the new HD is correctly reognized there. Then make sure that the boot order in setup is set to boot from the CD rom or floppy, then the CDrom then the flopp then the HD. Then insert your OS media and let it load. If the HD isn't correctly recognized it won't be seen by the OS and the OS won't load.

Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
emilyngau
Message 3 of 4 (342 Views)

Tks.  It did recognized the new HD and already set to the boot sequence as you said.  But one question, the new HD is 160GB, while the old one is 20GB.  Will it be the problem? 

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 4 of 4 (338 Views)

I think the maximum size disk on these is 128 GB on these. The workaround is to set the disk size to 128 GB in setup on the first partition and let the rest go or use the HD manufacturers  disk expression/ partition software to set the size. I am running a VLi8 that has a 65 GB limit with an 80 GB drive and live with the single partition of 65 GB and it has worked very well for 8 years. Then use the XP partition or the DOS FDISK to set the disk size to 128 GB. The problem with the HD manufacturers disk partition software is that if you run Defrag from inside windows there is a good chance that it will think it has a 160 GB drive and the drive will be in accessible on the next boot. another possible solution is another PCI IDE controller card with what is called an extended BIOS. But they can be a pain I tried on on my VLI8 and it wasn't what I called successful as a bootable device it might work as a data storage device. I just had to play to many games to even get it close to booting and the boot time went into the order of minutes 

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation