Upgrading the Bios on my Compaq Deskpro EP/SB 686T2 (414 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Lester Campbell
Message 1 of 4 (414 Views)

Upgrading the Bios on my Compaq Deskpro EP/SB 686T2

[ Edited ]

hello guys

I am new to this forum and I need some help.
I own a Compaq Deskpro EP/SB serie and I need to upgrade the BIOS, in order to change the CPU to a better one.

Here's the information

BIOS Date: 02/08/09

BIOS ID: Compaq Deskpro EP/SB series BIOS version: 686T2

BIOS ROM size: 256k

CPU: PII @ 400 Mhz, Max: 500 Mhz

Please, let me know if you guys know where can I find any information on my BIOS.

Thanks!!!!!

P.S. This thread has been moved from Archived Desktops and Workstations Boards > general to Business PCs - Evo, Deskpro, Vectra, Kayak, Brio, e-PC - HP Forums Moderator

Honored Contributor
Eino V
Message 2 of 4 (414 Views)

Re: Upgrading the Bios on my Compaq Deskpro EP/SB 686T2

Occasional Visitor
Lester Campbell
Message 3 of 4 (414 Views)

Thanks a lot!!!!

I've got it, but I could not installed, I got an error, but I installed an earlier version 99.08.18. Thanks a lot for your help!!!!!! you're awesome

Please, I am new to hardware and I was wondering, based on the pieces of information on my system, my question is?

what kind of CPU can I get for my Pc?

Occasional Advisor
Stephen Hayes
Message 4 of 4 (414 Views)

Lester,

Hi, Given the age of the chipset I would look at replacing the computer with a P3 or P4. From memory the EP supports a maximum of 256MB of ram.

You should be able to find a second hand one for sale on the web or through a "traditional auction house" that sells off ex-corporate computers, they usually advertise auctions in the classified sections of newspapers.

There is always an element of risk buying anything second hand it is best to see the unit running if possible.

Large corporations are already disposing of Pentium 4's. Hopefully you could pick up one at a resonable price.

Regards
Stephen

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.