Re: To solve bios update (31 Views)
Occasional Visitor
martin leiton
Message 1 of 3 (31 Views)

To solve bios update

[ Edited ]

Mr:(s)

I`ve tried to update the bios Hewlett Packard HP Vectra VL400 - System BIOS Version IP.01.08instead of the version IP.01.07 but I got the message "can not flash when memory managers(e.g MEM386) are present" please give me a sugestion.

Thanks advanced

P.S. This thread has been moved from Archived Desktops and Workstations Boards > Windows based to Business PCs - Evo, Deskpro, Vectra, Kayak, Brio, e-PC. - Hp forum Moderator

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
skiser
Message 2 of 3 (31 Views)

Re: To solve bios update

Create a boot floppy without a memory manager present? Try using an old DOS 6.22 boot floppy, for example. Or use one from Win98 that has just the system files copied to it, rather than the Win98 "startup disk".

Make sure the floppy isn't infected with a boot sector virus? That's a possibility.

If the 32-bit version of the flash utility is included in the package, use it inside of Windows, instead of the DOS package?

These should take care of 90% plus of issues.

HTH

Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Kinner
Message 3 of 3 (31 Views)

Re: To solve bios update

Edit the autoexec.bat/config.sys files to remove any reference to HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE. or just rename the autoexe.bat and config.sys files to autoexec.old and config.old and reboot.

ren autoexec.bat autoexec.old
ren config.sys config.old

You shouldn't need any fancy drivers to just do a bios update.

Ron
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation