Re: Product Key (1018 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Flores Jesse
Message 1 of 5 (1,031 Views)

Product Key

I was reformating to re install Windows XP-PRO
I have lost my Product Key for windows XP-PRO.
can I get a copy or is there another way to by pass the key? I have the Operating System CD but no key.
Honored Contributor
Eino V
Message 2 of 5 (1,018 Views)

Re: Product Key

Try to install it with HP restore CD you got with the computer, maybe you don't need the key then. If you have a new computer, the key for Vista is usually on the label glued to the computer case, but it does not work with XP.
Occasional Visitor
Flores Jesse
Message 3 of 5 (1,018 Views)

Thank you for your quick responce. "But"
The Product Key sticker has since been rubbed off or damaged to the point that it is no longer legible. The back up and restore CD's Are none effect in restoring my hard drive (damage or corrupt files I assume). I will run accros the same problem installing a new hard drive when Windows asks for the Product Key. Will MicroSoft ask me to pay for a new licence Or will they give me a new Product Key??
Thank you
Occasional Visitor
Χρήστος Ξαγοράρης
Message 4 of 5 (1,018 Views)

I must let you know that if you have lost the product key of the installation CD you need to buy a new one!!!

This has not to do with HP constructor.... except if you order a new instalation/system restore CD especially for your computer model from HP... it contains the full software and drivers for your HP computer!!!

Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 5 of 5 (1,018 Views)

It has been ny experience with HP XP that you don't need the product key to install XP. I would give it a try the worst that can happen is it won't have the full license. If you need new disk they can be ordered at 1-800-227-8164 There prices are very reasonable. You will need your model number, configuration number and the serial number to get the right disks.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.