Re: Kayak XU800 weird BIOS on-screen behavior (118 Views)
Occasional Advisor
David S. Crampton
Message 1 of 5 (118 Views)
Accepted Solution

Kayak XU800 weird BIOS on-screen behavior

[ Edited ]

I bought a used but mostly working XU800. I am using a regular PS2-connected keyboard. In Windows (I bought the maching with XP Pro on it) keyboard & mouse all OK.

In BIOS on-screen, however, the selected item disappears! This is the DOS-like blue & white screens. The selected item should be shown with a simple highlight or something. The right panel shows the info for the selected item but the item text (in the left) disappears.

Also, the keypad Enter key does not respond; only the QWERT area Enter key gives result.

I once saw a complaint during a startup about keybd and mouse being reversed; something about HP Keyboard Manager...?

What's happening?

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Archived Desktops and Workstations Boards > Windows based to Business PCs - Evo, Deskpro, Vectra, Kayak, Brio, e-PC. - Hp Forum moderator

Trusted Contributor
Chad Miller_5
Message 2 of 5 (118 Views)

Re: Kayak XU800 weird BIOS on-screen behavior

Are you sure the all 3 RGB colors are represented on the screen? The letters should turn white on the left pane. If one of the RGB pins on the video cable is bent, it will alter the video colors obviously. (check video cable) Assuming you're using VGA: http://www.technick.net/public/code/cp_dpage.php?aiocp_dp=pinconvid_vga_15pin

Have you cleared CMOS yet? This may straighten out anomalies in the BIOS.

The Enter key on the 10-key pad is not responsive on our XU-800, either. I just checked it. I have never noticed that before, but it appears to be normal. I searched for a few minutes on documentation to back that up, but did not find any.

Try a different KB?

Chad
Occasional Advisor
David S. Crampton
Message 3 of 5 (118 Views)

I'm trying to reply to Chad Miller in this message. The GUI of the forum is very confusing.

RE: colors: the 3 colors are fine in Windows so I assume they would be OK in BIOS. Certainly not a bent pin (with which I am sorely familiar).

In your XU800 BIOS do the objects in left pane rearrange themselves as you scroll down? In mine, not only does the highlight / color reversal not work, the selected object seems to disappear from the stack of menu objects. The objects below my selected one actually move up 1 row! The right panel displays info related to selected object OK.

Very strange, very annoying.
Trusted Contributor
Chad Miller_5
Message 4 of 5 (118 Views)

No, the stack is static and highlighting works as expected.

That is the strangest thing I've ever heard of. Never have I seen a dynamic BIOS menu as you describe.

Either the BIOS is corrupt, or the video card's BIOS is corrupt. Can you swap in a spare video card you got lying around?

Chad
Occasional Advisor
David S. Crampton
Message 5 of 5 (118 Views)

I changed the video card. The BIOS now works as expected. Yes, very strange indeed. The keypad Enter key is still nonresponsive.

A bonus of changing video card is that Windows XP Pro now will go up to 1024 x 768. Even though the card is very old (3dfx Voodoo) Win XP found the driver OK.

Thank you for your help.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.