Kayak XM600 returns two beeps during boot after install of ATI 9800 pro graphics card (46 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Dave Geer
Message 1 of 11 (46 Views)
Accepted Solution

Kayak XM600 returns two beeps during boot after install of ATI 9800 pro graphics card

[ Edited ]

After installing an ATI9800 pro into my kayak xm600, the computer errors on boot. It returns 2 beeps and displays the error code. 0213: Keyboard locked - unlock switch
it allows me to press enter and then the diagnostics display an error during hardware test 2.06A which returns the post error code of 0103 keyboard - keyboard not detected. Pressing esc returns me to the error screen and pressing F1 allows the machine to resume. The computer finishes booting and operates normally. The keyboard works with all keys tested after resume. Could anyone provide me insight to this issue?

P.S. This thread has been moved from Archived Desktops and Workstations Boards > Windows based to Business PCs - Evo, Deskpro, Vectra, Kayak, Brio, e-PC. - Hp Forum moderator

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Kinner
Message 2 of 11 (46 Views)

Re: Kayak XM600 returns two beeps during boot after install of ATI 9800 pro graphics card

Look in the BIOS Setup:

Setup program settings: ...In the Security
menu, set all Hardware Protection items to â Enabledâ or â Unlockedâ (if
appli
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Dave Geer
Message 3 of 11 (46 Views)

Re: Kayak XM600 returns two beeps during boot after install of ATI 9800 pro graphics card

The hardware settings did not have anything with the keyboard on it. Floppy drives etc were there but not much else. But thanks for the direction
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Chad Miller_5
Message 4 of 11 (46 Views)

Dave,

Is it 2 beeps, or 1-2 beeps?

I haven't see this error with the XM600, however, the 9800 was not on the tested products list for any of the XM600 models, though it *should* be compatible.

My guess is that this relatively high end card is eating up a large part of the limited available ROM I/O space in the BIOS. Some cards like a contiguous chunk. When they can't find it, I believe some of these get re-mapped at POST, then the OS takes over (PnP) and sorts everything out.

Here's what I would do:
1) Flash the BIOS to the latest available (I'd give the URL, but I don't know if you have a series 1 or 2 - Series 2 were socket370)
2) Boot up, go into the BIOS and set PnP OS to NO (Counter intuitive, but trust me)
3) Set "reset config data" to Yes
4) Reboot normally.

If that does not resolve it, try disabling one or both of the COM ports (rarely used anyway) to see if you can free up a smigin of I/O space. If you're not using the integrated NIC or Audio, disable them, too to free up space.

Chad
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Dave Geer
Message 5 of 11 (46 Views)

Thanks for the information Chad. The beeps are 2 this happens after the initial tests and the SCSI bios loads and is checked. I have disabled the both com ports and use the integrated sound. I could not find integrated NIC in the bios field. The bio reports out as PhoenixBios 4.0 Release 6.0, 04/12/01. I am not sure if the machine is a series 1 or 2 but the model type is D9545T. I use the HP instant support feature and thought I performed the reflash of bios but I am not sure. If this is not the most current bios please let me know. But after all of this the problem still exists

Thanks Dave
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Chad Miller_5
Message 6 of 11 (46 Views)

Dave,

You've got a series 1 (Any XM model that starts with "D" is a series 1)

The latest BIOS is IC.11.11 found here: http://tinyurl.com/4wdgo

The Phoenix Core BIOS is 4.0 something, but HP overlays this BIOS with its own: IC.xx.xx. You can see the HP BIOS version by pressing the "ESC" key at POST time (right when it starts). If you don't see IC.11.11, then you're not up to date.

Here's the official definition of 2 beeps on the XM600.
+++++++++++++++++++++
2 Beeps
Power supply is in protected mode
Note: This error does not necessarily indicate a power supply failure.
a. Unplug the power cord from the back of the PC while checking all items. Once the power supply is in protected mode, power must be unplugged for at least 15 seconds before the system will power up.

b. Make sure the voltage setting on the power supply is set correctly for your country. (Refer to the User's Manual for more details).

c. The power supply may be too hot: check the fan to see if there is a blockage or to see if the fan is working.

d. There may be a short circuit on the motherboard: unplug PCI cards and power from all devices (FDD, HDD, CDD) and try to power up again.
+++++++++++++++++++++

So, you're saying that basically, this error is cosmetic? It beeps, but boots normally after that? If you put the original video card in, does it still do it?

...and you're right, there is no way to disable the NIC in the BIOS, that was a generality.

Have you attempted to contact ATI?

Chad
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Dave Geer
Message 7 of 11 (46 Views)

Chad thanks for the information. Yes the error appears to be cosmetic. The machine works very well. I will check the bios to determine if it is the latest version. The power supply has been acting unusually touchy with the power cord just touching it can cause power loss. I have caused interruptions in operation by moving the cord. It may has set it into the protected mode. Power recommendation from ATI are 300W minimum and I believe that this is what is in the machine. Along with the card I am also driving 3 hard drives 2 of them SCSI. I may be slightly underpowered. Can you recommend a proper power supply for this model if it is underpowered.

Thanks Again for your help
Dave.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Dave Geer
Message 8 of 11 (46 Views)

Disconnected the power cord for 5 minutes and restarted the machine. 2 beeps still occurred with the same error codes. Will look for shorting in the future. I notice the HP Bios is IC.11.11US, I must be current. I wanted to mention one more thing that may mean something, I loaded the hp toptools agent 5.5 and after every boot it returns an alert that there is a chassis intrusion alert after every reboot. The side panel seems to be in place, but I am wondering if there is a switch somewhere that could be causing this apparent problem.

Dave
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Chad Miller_5
Message 9 of 11 (46 Views)

Dan,

Yes, the MT has a 300W PSU. I would think that would be enough. The fact that it's rebooting so easily is not normal, maybe the PSU is simply faulty or the cord's got a break in it.

I don't see anything blatently proprietary about the PSU, so I would venture that any ATX PSU "should" work fine -- HP does not offer a higher wattage PSU for this unit.

If you disconnect the 2 SCSI drives, does it still occur? Just curious.

I should mention that the chassis was designed for a maximum of 2 HDDs due to heat. This is the maximum supported, as well. It may have something to do with the PSU limits, too.
More RAM, a 2nd CPU, and more peripherals are obvoiusly going to push the PSU to its limits.
PSU Consumption estimates (From tech manual)
Additional CPU: 50W
HDDs: 16-23W ea.
PCI cards: 10-36W
AGP 50W (max)
A system with 1 CPU, 1 HDD, and 256MB RAM consumes about 65W operating.
There is 100W available for AGP and all 5 PCI slots. So, if your AGP Pro card is using 50W, only 50W is available for the rest of the PCI devices, including the integrated ones (Sound/LAN).

A guess...
Start with 65W (standard system)
Add a 2nd CPU: +50w
2 more HDDs: +46W
Beefier Graphics card: +25W
Beefier sound card: +36W
CDRW: +20
= 242W (Pretty close)

This was a pretty cool wattage calculator I stumbled upon: http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

Toptools--
I recall this as being one of several cosmetic bugs in the TT agent. I have seen this with the VL400 and VL420, too where the intrusion error is cleared only to return on next boot even though the cover was not removed. Make sure you're on the latest agent. I thought that they fixed this years ago, but then, TT development was shelved in favor of Insight Manager from Compaq (when we merged). There is no switch to disable the intrusion switch. By nature, it is designed to throw an error with or without power, with or without a CMOS battery.

Chad
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
K.Garrett
Message 10 of 11 (46 Views)

Hi Dave,

you say your running 3 HDD's
what are there Rev specs, If i remember rightly the XM600 will only support 2 at 15K rev or 3 at 10K revs

Also if you delete the Top tools database of the error message and reboot, does the error message still appear, and which version of TT Agent are you on, as, what Chad has already stated this issue was resolved with 1. Bios Update and 2 TT Agent upgrade

HTH
Keith
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Dave Geer
Message 11 of 11 (46 Views)

Thanks Keith,
The top tools agent is 5.5 the latest on HP sight. I was running the 3HDD before installing the graphics card and did not get this error. I have a SCSI interface that controls two of the HDD's. The Bios is the latest version. Thanks again for your input.

Dave
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation