Kayak XM600 Series 1 Not Booting (762 Views)
Occasional Visitor
J.P.B.Smith
Message 1 of 5 (762 Views)

Kayak XM600 Series 1 Not Booting

Hello HP World

Machine is P1658N #ABU originally, now with 1GB RIMM, 2 x 733 MHz P3 processors, 137 GB IBM SCSI drive and Adaptec 2940 controller.  OS is (or rather should be) MS Win XP Pro 32.

On booting (1) LED does not display any colour (2) CD drive LED is on permanently (3) Floppy LED does not blink (4) HD spins up (5) no POST beeps and (6) no message on monitor.  Any body any idea what has happened?

Last used yesterday, updated AV software (Avira) and files, and scanned whole machine.  Appeared to be working normally after AV scan.

Help would be much appreciated.

Regards

OldUKEngineer

As a side issue, what is the maximum SCSI HD I can use on this machine and has anybody tried Win 7 Pro?

Occasional Visitor
J.P.B.Smith
Message 2 of 5 (758 Views)

Re: Kayak XM600 Series 1 Not Booting

OldUKEngineer supplies more information!!

Disconnected the power lead for 2 hours.  Reconnected and then booted.  Main LED now displays green; monitor light remains yellow (normally green when receiving a signal) and then displays the following message:

'Power Save'

Machine still does not boot.

Confused regards

OldUKEngineer

Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 3 of 5 (753 Views)

I would try abootable disk like a windows loading diskjust to eliminate the HD and controller  failure. I would pull the side cover and inspect the machines internals and make sure everything is seated tight. Good luck.

Occasional Visitor
J.P.B.Smith
Message 4 of 5 (748 Views)

Thank you for a speedy reply.  I had tried both a DOS bootable, and a Win XP recovery disk.  Neither worked.

I did not expect the floppy to work because the LED did not briefly come on when I pressed the main start button.  As it's late here I will strip the cover off first thing tomorrow and reseat everything as you suggest.

Just one further thought:  Is it possible the machine has gone to sleep and will not wake?  This would explain why some of the LED are off; a hibernate kernel must sit in the memory awaiting an IRQ from somewhere to start the wake up routine.  But that kernel must prevent the user from carrying out a reboot.   By the way my BIOS is IC.11.11US.

Kind regards

OldUKEngineer

Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 5 of 5 (708 Views)

Have you tried to reset the power supply. To reset the power supply pull the AC power plug and press the power button then wait 30 minutes and see if it will come back on. The fact that it won't boot to anything implies a motherboard /power supply issue. The problem with these is that they are getting a little old. You can try Netway 2000 for parts there number is 1-877-638-9292 

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.