Re: How To Reset The BIOS? (146 Views)
Occasional Visitor
J. Love
Message 1 of 8 (146 Views)

How To Reset The BIOS?

[ Edited ]

I have a Compaq Deskpro 5166 running Windows 2000 Advanced Server that won't boot from CD, only floppy.
I've tried to get into the BIOS and see what the boot order is, but it tells me i'm missing "SETUP.EXE". I'ved switched out the CD-ROM to no avail. I've tried to make a Diagnostic diskette, but I get an error everytime the disk is being created.
So, is there a way that I can make a boot-disk to restore/replace my BIOS?

P.S. This thread has been moved from Archived Desktops and Workstations Boards> Windows based to Business PCs - Evo, Deskpro, Vectra, Kayak, Brio, e-PC. - Hp Forum Moderator

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Denver Osborn
Message 2 of 8 (146 Views)

Re: How To Reset The BIOS?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_122838-002/TPM_122838-002.pdf

See Appendix A for clearing/resetting the CMOS. There's a jumper and cmos button on the mobo that will reset cmos to factory defaults.

Hope this helps,
-denver
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
J. Love
Message 3 of 8 (146 Views)

I already reset the CMOS, that didn't help.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ronald Postma
Message 4 of 8 (146 Views)

Hi,
The boot order of the system should be standard on CD->floppy->HD.

The setup utility that you miss is not the real bios itself.
After ou reset the bios, did it ask for time and date? If not bios reset was not successful, I alsys remove the button size battery for a while to reset the bios.

Does your CD-rom works proper in windows? There may be a problem with the drive, check if the drive is umpered on cabel select, also try antorher bootable CD to check if the cd is not the problem.

If you really want to check if your CD can still boot from you can disconnect you floppy and HD and see if it boots.

Have a nice day,
HTH, Ronald
The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
J. Love
Message 5 of 8 (146 Views)

Yes, I did successfully reset the CMOS because it asked me for the time.
The CD drive works correctly because I switched it with another computer and booted from CD successfully.
The computer just won't boot from CD. I'm only guessing that there's a problem with the BIOS since 1)I can't boot from CD at all and 2)it won't allow me to create a diagnostic diskette. So, is there a way I can replace or repair the BIOS?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ronald Postma
Message 6 of 8 (146 Views)

Hi again,
You switched the CD-Rom drive, is the drive jumpered as Cable Select? (CS) if not do so.

Futher the error on the setup.exe you get is because the diagnostic partition on your HD is not present or damaged. The diagnostic partition can only be made on a HD without any partitions, so you will lose the data on the HD if you do so.
But you can also run the diagnostic software from the disk you were trying to make. This is not the Gios itself, that part is stored on the motherboard and has an autoconfiguration.
What can help is to do a BIOS update, but there are a few bios version in the deskpro series.
You hava a deskpro 5166. If I look for that machine it does not support 2000, it is a old machine, so I guess you have another type such as:
- Deskpro 4000 5166
- Deskpro 4000 5166MMX
- Deskpro 4000N 5166
- Deskpro 4000S 5166
- Deskpro 6000 5166

There are also some deskpro 2000 series, but they are also not very fast.
- Deskpro 6000 5166

If you tell me your model I can help you search for it, but you can also look for it yourself,

Have a nice day,
HTH, Ronald

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
J. Love
Message 7 of 8 (146 Views)

I switched the jumper to CS and it still won't boot from CD.
The model on the case says "Deskpro 5166."
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ronald Postma
Message 8 of 8 (146 Views)

Hi again,
That model does not have a bios update or setup disks. Maybe the sticker on the case is incomplete or so,.
On most system the model is also shown during post. It is shown in the down right corner when the Compaq logo appears.

Have you tried to boot with only the CD attached? if that does not work either looks like an compatibily error with the drive, is the drive connected to it's own flatcable and attached to the end of the cable?

Have a nice day,
Regards, Ronald
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation