Re: HP Vectra XU 5/90C (751 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Yusri Yatim
Message 1 of 6 (835 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Vectra XU 5/90C

Hi,i got this desktop on my network and dispite of not being use very much on the network then the idea came for making this pc as a server but i still didnt know whether its recommended.The spec for the pc is Intel Pentium 90mhz,1gb HDD and 48mb memory running on win98 2nd edition.So,im really looking forward to hear some of you guys out there advises which is im really keen to have the pc as a server.

-Newbie-
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ronald Postma
Message 2 of 6 (835 Views)

Re: HP Vectra XU 5/90C

Hi Yusri,
You can only install NT server 3.51 or lower on this machine. I do not think it is worth the effort, system is very old. I even think NT server won't go very fast and you have very low diskspace.
If you want to continue with it, you need to have the winNT software, drivers can be downloaded here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=17752&pr...

Here you can get better systems almost for free, companies dispose of them all the time, even common users do.
If you really want a server you can better try finding anther computer with higher specs.

Have a nice day,
Regards, Ronald

PS. Since your new here, welcome to the forums, you can assign point to awnsers so other members can see what awnsers benifit the author of the question andit is a great way to say thanks to the people that have taken the time for you.
Most of us here a just users, only very few HP people come here.
The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Yusri Yatim
Message 3 of 6 (835 Views)

Thx Ronald,that help me alot.But,instead of having new High perfomance PC as a server,i rather invest on upgrading this vectra system.Because other pc is running for their own purpose already.

I notice that the main thing to change is the storage,looks like im out of hand to handle that because i dont know whether this vectra can be use with other brand of HDD or it need to have a specific HDD.Also,about the chips do u think 90mhz able to handle winNT?...of coz the higher speed of processor,the batter i will get,but i just need to upgrade a step ahead from my present system.

I do wish if somebody can tell me about where can i learn the spec of this vectra and a recommanded devices to upgrading them.

Till then,
-cheers-
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Eino V
Message 4 of 6 (835 Views)

Hi Yusri

PC will boot with a large HDD, but BIOS setup limits HDD maximum capacity to 8 GB.

Manuals for your computer are here:
http://tinyurl.com/e8m2s

Eino
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ronald Postma
Message 5 of 6 (835 Views)

Hi again,
Your HDD is the first of the things that need to be upgraded, try to find an 10GB disk or so, also a bit mor RAM would be helpfull and a faster processor would also be advisibel if you want to run a server.

But if you want a bit more specific advise, please explain what you want to do with the server?

Have a nice day,
Regards, Ronald
The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
SmittyGeek4273
Message 6 of 6 (751 Views)

i have a vectra xu 5/90c, it has a 75gb hard drive (original) and running windows XP

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation