HP Vectra VL CPU upgrade (233 Views)
Occasional Visitor
CA767447
Message 1 of 8 (233 Views)

HP Vectra VL CPU upgrade

Hi,

I have a HP Vectra VL PC at work currently it has a 350Mhz Pentium II
in it.. No other real Markings on the case
tag on the back hasw serial number USB85008532 and sys number of d581T . I did knotice that the mother board had a table that indicated that it would support a 500Mhz CPU . So my question is will it really support a 500mhz Pentium II and do I need to know anything more than that when I go to aquire one settings that are on the table on the mother board say somthing about 100 and 66 .. I would suspect that this really means 100 FSB and 66mhz buss for the PCI cards or somthing..

So after I buy a 500mhz CPU and install it to satisfy the bios all I have to do is reset the The Dip swith on the mother board? Thanks:)...
Trusted Contributor
Mark Maccio
Message 2 of 8 (233 Views)

Re: HP Vectra VL CPU upgrade

Erv,

Check out the PowerLeap web site at:

http://www.powerleap.com/Products/ccp.htm

This page has a downloadable program that will analyze your system's CPU and make a recommendation for an upgrade. It should also include instructions as to what needs to be done to teh motherboard. Generally speaking, user guides that come with the CPU upgrades tell all that needs to be done. Typically, one needs to match the BUS speed by setting it to a multiple of the CPU speed. Going from a 350 to a 500 should necessarily require much additional cooling beyond the CPU fan.

Hope this helps,
Mark
Trusted Contributor
Mark Maccio
Message 3 of 8 (233 Views)

Sorry, that last line has a typo. Correctly stated, I meant to say that upgrading from a 350- to a 500MHz CPU should NOT require much additional cooling beyond a CPU fan.
Occasional Visitor
CA767447
Message 4 of 8 (233 Views)

Hi Mark
Thanks for your prompt response. I will check out the web site (thanks!). I suspect the cooling in the HP case that is ( made in France) is adeaquite.. It literally has a fan in a manifold that draws the air off of the CPU heatsink!.. (nice design)..I have played around with socket 7 and socket a stuff for years. I was just worried if there were some details that were specific to the HP Bios..

Thanks again for your advice:)... Erv
Occasional Visitor
Fred_24
Message 5 of 8 (233 Views)

Mark,

I have just purchased an Evergreen Performa 533/SE processor upgrade for my Vectra VL6/333 series 7 and it does not work. As soon as you connect the power to the processor fan it will switch on the PC, disable the power on/off button and lock up with out getting through the start-up mode.
I have contacted Evergreen and they told me it is a BIOS issue. HP told me they do not support processor upgrades and their only advice was to try and download the latest BIOS upgrade (sept. 1998).
On the web I could not find any one that has pasted a successfull attempt or a different BIOS.

Regards,

Fred
Trusted Contributor
Mark Maccio
Message 6 of 8 (233 Views)

Fred,

Check your connections to be sure you're connecting the CPU fan's power line to the proper source. You describe classic signs of an incorrect hook-up.

Assuming that to be correct however, here's a link to a BIOS upgrade for your system dated Feb 9 2000:

http://www.support.vectra.hp.com/vectrasupport/level4/26wfb1z1us.exe.html

Hope this helps,
Mark
Advisor
CA771786
Message 7 of 8 (233 Views)

Hi Mark,
I've posted a question about a CPU Upgrade for Vectra VLi8 SF on Wednesday, April 3rd. I also read the correspondence about "Upgrading Vectra VLi8 to 1GHz CPU" by Pam on January 18. I downloaded PowerLeap 5.1 from their web site as mentioned in your reply to Erv and used it to diagnose my Vectra and request upgrade suggestions from them.

I would very much appreciate it if there's advice you can give me on the subject.
Thanks,
Amir
Beleive it or not George isn't @home
Occasional Visitor
Rick Lewis
Message 8 of 8 (233 Views)

Fred, I don't know how I stumbled onto this site, but I read about your upgrade problem and have the probable solution-
My cpu did the same thing- locked up, no power control at switch, etc. I had all the right bios uprgrades installed, but no help. The
Evergreen folks were able to help. A gentleman by the name of Jeffery P. sent me an email about setting the correct voltage with the jumpers on the upgrade cpu. Apparently, my setting of the "correct" voltage wasn't good enough for the check the system does at boot-up. Since it doesn't actually control the chip voltage- just the message- he said to keep bumping the voltage up (with the jumper settings) until it works. Nothing to loose! I worked my way up to 1 or 2 steps below the max setting and it worked. Running smooth with no problems after that! I've attached the email in notepad. When all that ddin't work- I called and talked to him and he told my to keep pushing the voltage (jumpers) up. Won't hurt the cpu- it is not the voltage to be applied to the chip, just a msg of ample voltage at boot-up. Hope it works for you!
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.