Re: HP Vectra VL 400 alarm at startup (339 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Message 1 of 6 (739 Views)

HP Vectra VL 400 alarm at startup

I changed mi hdisk from 9 to 80 gigas and now, every time I start my pc a kind of alarm sounds inside, as if a phone rang 2 times and then 2 bips. It starts correctly to win xp pro an it works fantastic but that noise is killing me. Does anyone know what is it and how to disable it?
Honored Contributor
Message 2 of 6 (728 Views)

Re: HP Vectra VL 400 alarm at startup

Could it be a defect in the Harddrive? the beep codes point to the power supply being in protected mode and if it boots that doesn't make sense. I would open the case and make sure that it isn't a defect in the new harddrive. Good Luck Ron Silver
Occasional Visitor
Message 3 of 6 (640 Views)

Hi did you ever resolve this mine does the same driving me nuts I have had it 3 years never used it because of it, every time i move the computer even lightly this alarm keeps beeping and it wont come on?
Occasional Visitor
Message 4 of 6 (640 Views)

mine is the same did you solve this thanks Lynn
HP Pro
Message 5 of 6 (499 Views)

Hi, the beep codes for this model can be found here:

HP Vectra PCs - PC is Beeping, What Do the Beeps Mean

I'm not sure from your post if this is two beeps or four.  Specific to the Vectra VL400, two beeps could indicate a CMOS battery issue.  Have you tried reseating or replacing it?

I work on behalf of HP
Frequent Advisor
Message 6 of 6 (339 Views)

What error message is it showing.

Could be a bios limit refering to the larger HD. Not Sure!

If you replace hardware with newer one not supported it may not be a bad reason to obtain a bios update!

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.