Re: Flash Bios (37 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Paul_520
Message 1 of 4 (37 Views)

Flash Bios

[ Edited ]

Help!! I have a HP Vectra with PhoenixBios 4.0 Release 6.0.Z. When I boot up my system it asks for the serial number, I enter it but it go back to the same screen. When I reboot it says my password is corrupt. I clear the password and then it goes back to wanting the serial number. Will flashing the bios fix this problem? And where do I get the file to flash the bios with? And then how do I flash the bios?

P.S. This thread has been moved from Windows based to Business PCs - Evo, Deskpro, Vectra, Kayak, Brio, e-PC.
-HP Forum Moderator

Honored Contributor
Thomas Bianco
Message 2 of 4 (37 Views)

Re: Flash Bios

sounds like your CMOS battery is dead. pop open the case and look for a small circular silver watch battery on the mainbord. it's probably a CR-2016 or CR-2032 type. nearby drug store should have one.

expected lifetime on this is about 3-5 years, so if you've got one of the older vectras then it's probably time anyways.
There have been Innumerable people who have helped me. Of course, I've managed to piss most of them off.
Occasional Visitor
Paul_520
Message 3 of 4 (37 Views)

Been there done that already. The Cmos needs to be flashed I know that. But I don't know where to get the software to flash it. Do you?
Honored Contributor
Thomas Bianco
Message 4 of 4 (37 Views)

ok, if you know the full model (like "vectra 6/533fcc") then you can find it on the hp support and downloads:
http://www.hp.com/sbso/bussupport.html?drivers

the full model can usually be found on a small grey sticker on the bottom of the right side of the pc, or on the botton of the laptop.

for instance, this is for a vectra 6/??? series 8.

http://tinyurl.com/6kbfd

There have been Innumerable people who have helped me. Of course, I've managed to piss most of them off.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.