Re: Deskpro EN SFF RiserCard / Modem (40 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Bruce Young_3
Message 1 of 4 (40 Views)
Accepted Solution

Deskpro EN SFF RiserCard / Modem

[ Edited ]

I just reprogramed a C400/6.4/w5 desktop pc. I am setting it up with a dialup modem but am having problems I think with the riser card. For instance on bootup with modem installed, Windows98se detects the riser card and looks for a driver for PCI Serial Controller. Is this the riser card? Do I have to get the riser working BEFORE the modem? Can someone give me a link for specific driver for Spare#314207 (number on riser)

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Archived Desktops and Workstations Boards > Windows based o Business PCs - Evo, Deskpro, Vectra, Kayak, Brio, e-PC.- Hp Forum moderator

Please use plain text.
(anon)
Message 2 of 4 (40 Views)

Re: Deskpro EN SFF RiserCard / Modem

It's not the riser card. The riser is just an extension of the motherboard, not a device in itself. These computers do act funny with some PCI dial-up modems. I don't know why. My LT Windmodem has problems in my EN/SFF all the time. My US Robotics ISA hardware modem does not have these problems in the same computer.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Bruce Young_3
Message 3 of 4 (40 Views)

This is a USR 56 k modem 2976. I just got rid of a bunch of ISA stuff not 24 hours ago thinking "why hold onto it for". I have another brand modem I can try. So I dont need a driver for PIC Serial Controller? It's probly the modem doing it?
Please use plain text.
(anon)
Message 4 of 4 (40 Views)

Actually, it's probably the the chipset driver. Have a look at the Intel website and get the driver that matches your chipset. You might see signs of the chipset number in Device Manager or you might need to look at the actual chips on the motherboard. You probably have something like the 440LX, but it could be the 810. Either one should be supported here:

http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/13/5/13-5-161.shtml

and here:

http://www.intel.com/products/tools/

I'd link you to the exact page, but I can't seem to get in.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation