Re: Configuration settings automatically updated (2523 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Michelle Fuller
Message 1 of 14 (4,198 Views)

Configuration settings automatically updated

[ Edited ]

When booting the Compaq Deskpro ENS P800 for the first time, I sometimes get the following error message:

The following configuration options were automatically updated:

Disk 6448MB Fujitsu MPB3064ATU
CD Rom LTN485

If you are running UNIX, you need to configure your system using the Computer Setup Utility (F10).

F1 to save changes

I have pressed F1 and sometimes the PC continues to boot - but sometimes it comes up with the error Non-system diskette!!!

Has anyone got any ideas what the problem could be and more importantly how to rectify it? Please.........

P.S. This thread has been moved from Business PCs - Compaq, Elite, Pro to Business PCs - Evo, Deskpro, Vectra, Kayak, Brio, e-PC - HP Forum Moderator

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
CA655597
Message 2 of 14 (4,198 Views)

Re: Configuration settings automatically updated

Sounds like your RTC battery has failed. It keeps the configuration saved and when it fails your BIOS configuration setup is lost. It's usually a little 3 volt silver colored disk about the size of a quarter. Look on the Motherboard. You can just pop it out of its holder with a small screwdriver. Be carefully replacing it that you do not bend the small metal fingers. They are less than $5 at Walmart, Walgrens or CVS.

Ron
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Michelle Fuller
Message 3 of 14 (4,198 Views)

Hi Ron

If I change this battery, do I need the original disks - cos I don't have them - it is an ex-company pc!!!! Will changing this battery mean that settings and passwords are lost?

Why doesn't this problem occur every time and once you have managed to do the first boot - you can turn the pc off/on during the rest of the day - usually without problem!!!!

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply!!

Regards

Michelle
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Perignon
Message 4 of 14 (4,198 Views)

Hi Michelle,

Depending on how quick you are at changing the battery, CMOS may or may not get empty. Most of the time, 10 mn at least are necessary to clearing CMOS instructions completely.

No sweat however. If the pass-word is lost, the system should start without it. You'll just have to inform the BIOS with a new one as necessary.

Alain.
Frustrations surmounted are paving the way to expertise.
Please use plain text.
HP Pro
HpBiosGuy
Message 5 of 14 (4,198 Views)

Hi Michelle,

Based on what you've described, I would submit another possibility. Either your hard drive or optical drive are having problems. This particularly seems likely because you intermittently do not see the hard drive. Any chance you can swap out the hard drive?

Hope this helps,
Scott
Thanks,
HpBiosGuy

I am an HP Employee.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Perignon
Message 6 of 14 (4,198 Views)

Scott,

Good point but personally, I'd run Scandisk and/or audit the HDD prior to swapping anything out.

Alain.
Frustrations surmounted are paving the way to expertise.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Michelle Fuller
Message 7 of 14 (4,198 Views)

Hi everyone

Well, the progress is that everyone seems to think that it is the bios battery - so I will change that in due course!!!

However, in the meantime, have bought a new laptop!!!!!!!!!!!

Will change the bios battery when laptop is all configured and working.

Am concerned about changing the bios battery but have been reassured that whilst the time settings may be lost - it should otherwise be ok. No disks needed nor passwords!!!!!

Fingers crossed.

Thanks to all

Regards

Michelle
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Michelle Fuller
Message 8 of 14 (4,198 Views)

Hi there,

well the latest on this pc is very strange!! I ran scandisk which took many hours with no errors found!!! The following day the PC booted up with no problems at all and for the next 3 days as well!!!!!!

Anyway, I took the decision to replace the BIOS battery - I did this quite quickly!!! The next couple of days there were no error messages but today we have the same error message back again!!!!

The following configuration options...........
........to configure your system using the Computer Setup Utility (F10).

This problem has become personal as I really would like to resolve it!!!

Unfortuntately I do not have any windows installation disks and there is no Diagnostics on the pc other than Dr Watson!!!

Any other ideas would be more than welcome.

Thank you

Michelle
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
CA655597
Message 9 of 14 (4,198 Views)

Go into Setup by pressing F10 then select the option to Use Defaults (or wording to that effect) then Save and Exit.

This problem should have nothing to do with the operating system or the harddrive.

If the battery doesn't help (and is correctly installed - is your clock keeping good time?) and the above does not help then I fear your CMOS may be getting tired.

There are a few programs and viruses that mess with the CMOS but they are pretty rare. You can try one of the online virus scan services like panda or trend. Just in case.

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/activescan.asp?Language=2&Country=63&Partner=1&Ref=EN-PR-AS-...

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

You might also pop the top and verify that the ribbon cables are all nicely seated since the two devices mentioned are IDE.

Your software downloads are at:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/Deskpro/us/family/model/1161.html

You should be able to find a Compaq Diagnostic program for your operating system.

Ron
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Michelle Fuller
Message 10 of 14 (4,198 Views)

Ron,

Thanks for replying. The pc already has Norton anti-virus, would that pick up any CMOS viruses???

Why is it that if the pc is on for a number of hours - then it will start for the next few days quite happily?

If the CMOS is on its way out - is it replaceable?

I am sure this problem appeared just after or shortly after I installed a scanner - is that possible???

Regards

Michelle
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Michelle Fuller
Message 11 of 14 (3,965 Views)

I have been having a look around mum's pc and have found the following error under System Information/Components/Problem devices:

ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering

ACPI\*PNP0C0F\0000000003
ACPI\*PNP0C0F\0000000004
ACPI\*PNP0C0F\0000000005
ACPI\*PNP0C0F\0000000006

Error code 22

Any idea what this means? Could it be connected with the original system configuration error message somehow?

Regards

Michelle
Please use plain text.
Visitor
omahabullock
Message 12 of 14 (2,523 Views)

[ Edited ]

Like yourself, I have the same problem and have replaced the battery. It didn't work. I get the same message saying "The following configuration options were automatically updated and the a list of CD-Roms and push F1. I have to do this twice and the second time hold this key down until the HP splash screen comes up. I have read other post that say it's a BIOS problem so I went to Hp support and installed latest one to no avail. Somebody out there has got to have a answer. Please, Would appreciate any intelligent help!

Please use plain text.
Visitor
omahabullock
Message 13 of 14 (2,232 Views)

Michelle Fuller,
   Sorry about not getting back to you sooner but I just today found the cure to my computer (stating the following configuration options were automatically updated) 1 go into setup, enter, or F10, 2 Go to advance settings 3 find post mode and with direction keys put it on full boot (not quick boot) I also went to Post message and enabled this (Don't know if this made any differance) 4 Go to first item and save changes and quit push F10 if promted and shut down.  5 restart computer and it will do a memory check in upper left hand conner of which you can do Esc. to stop and give you imediate memory installed and it will then go to boot. No More Pushing F1, No More Stupid Stuff about The following configuration options etc.etc.etc. AND. no more so called advisors telling you to replace you battery, or your memory, hard drive. Etc.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Stefan Kühn
Message 14 of 14 (1,417 Views)

On some Deskpros as well as on some Phoenix Bios systems there is an option in the bios that resets the bios itself after reboot.

The option is called " Restore Default Settings" or "Reset Configuration Data" or "Load orginal conf during Startup".

It should be set to know and then your pc should no longer reboot with telling you should change the settings again.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation