Compaq deskpro ep 450 mhz processor (289 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Todd Michon
Message 1 of 7 (289 Views)
Accepted Solution

Compaq deskpro ep 450 mhz processor

[ Edited ]

Hi, I'm using an older deskpro 450 mhz pc that I would like to upgrade and was wondering if anyone knows if the processor on this machine is removable. I'd like to just be able to replace it but haven't found much info to help me since it's an older pc. Thanks

P.S. This thread has been moved from Archived Desktops and Workstations Boards > general to Business PCs - Evo, Deskpro, Vectra, Kayak, Brio, e-PC - HP Forums moderator

Honored Contributor
Denver Osborn
Message 2 of 7 (289 Views)

Re: Compaq deskpro ep 450 mhz processor

I have a couple of the deskpro sff pc's. One is a PII 400 and when I remove the lid off the case there's a sticker on the inside of the lid that shows jumper settings and processor speeds. according to it, my model dpen can only go upto 450MHz... anyhow, have you popped the case to see if there's anything to show what it can support?

If not, what's the model or part number?

-denver
Occasional Advisor
Todd Michon
Message 3 of 7 (289 Views)

I have a couple machines also, one being like yours and the other the 450mhz one. I see what you mean by how it shows a max processor speed. I wonder though if that was only because the technology at the time wasn't higher than that. I read recently about how p3 models going up to 1.2 ghz in speed. Maybe I'm best just buying a used or leftover p3 board with a processor on it. I wouldn't mind going higher but I want to reuse my RAM and power supply. If I'm going to start replacing more parts, I might as well buy a whole new pc, if you know what I mean. Thanks for the help.
Honored Contributor
Denver Osborn
Message 4 of 7 (289 Views)

I know what ya mean, and it would be just as cheap to invest time and money into a newer/faster box. You might find it hard getting a main board and power supply that would work w/ the existing deskpro case.

IMHO your money would go farther (last longer) w/ newer old stuff -vs- older old stuff. :)

If you happen to have a FRY's electronics around, they usually have pretty good deals now and again. That's where I picked my 2GHz cpu + mobo combo for just under $100. It was well worth it 2yrs ago.

good luck
-denver
Occasional Advisor
Todd Michon
Message 5 of 7 (289 Views)

I think I'll go the route of purchasing something a bit newer, less headaches and so forth. I'll keep my eyes open. Thanks again.
Valued Contributor
Michael Dillman
Message 6 of 7 (289 Views)

Power Leap (http://www.powerleap.com/PL-370T.html) offers upgrade kits that can stretch the PC's ability to upgrade, without a kit, you would be limited to an incremental upgrade at best. There is a tool that will inspect your pc and tell you what is available. They seem to get very good ratings. Good Luck.
If at first you don't succeed, you must be installing Windows
Occasional Advisor
Todd Michon
Message 7 of 7 (289 Views)

Thanks Michael, I'll check it out.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.