norman bourne
Message 1 of 14 (119 Views)
Accepted Solution

Compaq DeskPro, BIOS

[ Edited ]

I have a DeskPro, Marked with the numbers,

DPEND-P350/6.4W5 UAST.

S/N H917BW340739

Is it possible to update the BIOS, and if so, where would one obtain relevent updates.

I have been trying to install a 180GB hard disk
and have been told that that updating the BIOS
is the first step, ??

Can anyone advise ??

Reagrds Norm Bourne

P.S. this thread has been moved from Archived Desktops and Workstations Boards > general to  Business PCs - Evo, Deskpro, Vectra, Kayak, Brio, e-PC - Hp forums Moderator

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Kinner
Message 2 of 14 (119 Views)

Re: Compaq DeskPro, BIOS

It should be possible to upgrade the BIOS. The number you gave is unfortunately not much use. Compaq always had a hard time telling their stuff apart. Compaq used to have a site where you could put in your SN and it would tell you what it was but the site seems to have been eaten by HP.

My bet is you have a Deskpro EN 6350 which would take the BIOS at:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/Deskpro/us/download/9251.html

Before you try anything, verify that the BIOS Setup Screen says 686T3. F10 during a boot to get to the Setup or download and run the program from a floppy:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/Deskpro/us/download/263.html.

IF that doesn't match then write down what it is and I'll find the upgrade for you.

You can also try Everest Home Edition at

http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1〈=en&pageid=3

Look under Computer Summary and it should tell you more about your PC. Perhaps it will have a better number.

What operating system are you trying to run on the thing?

Ron
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
norman bourne
Message 3 of 14 (119 Views)

Thanks Ron,
It does indeed have the ROM family number as 686T3.and I will of coursetry what you suggest.

As a matter of fact, I'm presently running,
WIN98, but I was hoping that with the 180GB drive, to upgrade to XP.

Is that feasible ??

Best regards Norm.
Please use plain text.
(anon)
Message 4 of 14 (119 Views)

You do have an EN 6350 and the BIOS won't support drives as large as that. You should be able to install XP on it, but I would keep the drive capacity down to less than 137GB and make sure you are careful about the correct procedure for installing XP on computers without the ACPI-compliant BIOS:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=314830

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
norman bourne
Message 5 of 14 (119 Views)

Thanks guys,
I have loaded the bios upgrade, but whilst the bios now acknowledges the drive, Win 98 doesnt see it.

So I am now in the process of talking to western digital, re software overlay.

Incidentally, i got the size of the drive wrong, it should have been 120 GB !

Best regards,

Norm.

Please use plain text.
(anon)
Message 6 of 14 (119 Views)

The overlay is for a BIOS that won't see the full capacity of the drive. As for Windows 98 not seeing it, could it be this drive is already formatted NTFS?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
norman bourne
Message 7 of 14 (119 Views)

Thanks again lads!
Everything went well, I removed my original hard disk completely, installed the new 120GB disk, loaded windows XP, and Bingo, we are up and running.

Just a case now of transferring my data files, including my Internet setup.

There is one minor point though, XP tells me that the primary drive is 44.7GB and the secondary, 67GB, which makes for an approximate total of 111GB. The drive is 120GB so there is a bit of a short fall.

I've read in thes pages that the jumper setting CS should be used on drives installed to Compaq's maybe that's the answer, or perhaps that overlay from the disk manufacturer.

In any case it's only a minor point.

Thanks again Guys,

Best Regards, Norm.

Please use plain text.
(anon)
Message 8 of 14 (119 Views)

111 GB is exactly right. It's a case of the math being different. 120 GB drives have a capacity of 120,000,000,000 bytes. Your computer calculates a kilobyte as 1024 bytes, a megabyte as 1024 KB and a gigabyte as 1024 MB. If you divide 120,000,000,000 by 1024 those three times you get 111 GB.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Floris
Message 9 of 14 (119 Views)

Before I start, I'm sorry for the errors. My English isn't very well.

I've got a similar question. I've bought a 40 GB western digital hard disk. I've got a compaq deskpro 6350 with a 686t3 ROMfamily and a BIOS version of 08/22/99, runnig Windows 98 second edition. When I check my hard drive in the BIOS-setup screen, it says i've got a hard disk of aproximately 40 GB. Seems good. But I can only format this drive to 8,1 GB. I've also tried to delete my primary partition and make a new one. After that I format my hard drive again and it's still 8,1 GB.

What can I do? I can't find a greater BIOS update...

Regards, Floris
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
norman bourne_1
Message 10 of 14 (119 Views)

Floris,
Sorry mate, I'm a complete novice, best you put it to the other lads, i'm sure they can help.

regards norm.
Please use plain text.
(anon)
Message 11 of 14 (119 Views)

Floris:

It would be better to start your own thread. In the meantime, check to see that your drive doesn't have a cylinder limitation jumper, clear your CMOS and re-partition the drive. When you start the new thread, make note of whether the drive is new, from a retail box. There would be a utility on disk packaged with the drive that can get you over this if all else fails.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
norman bourne_1
Message 12 of 14 (119 Views)

G,Day Lads,
Flushed with the success of my recent upgrade, i decided to increase my RAM with the installation of a 256MB stick.
The existing Ram consists of 1 stick of 64MB PC133 & 1 stick of 64MB PC100.

I thought I was on a safe bet ordering, a stick of 256MB PC133. But alas no, it didnt work. I've tried removing the existing ram and running it on the new ram, but I get
1 short, and 2 long beeps, apparently an indication of bad ram.

The ram is new stock, could it be that I've, ordered the wrong part, or is it, indeed, a case of what its telling me, "BAD
RAM" ??

Am I missing something?

Can anyone advise

Thankyou,

Norm.
Please use plain text.
(anon)
Message 13 of 14 (119 Views)

Order PC100 SDRAM. Your new PC133 memory won't work in a 100 mHz bus (which you have) but the old PC133 memory will. This is very common. Many PC133 memory modules will work and many won't. As long as you don't know for sure, you'll need to order the correct memory for your computer...PC100.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
norman bourne
Message 14 of 14 (119 Views)

G'Day Steven,
Many Thanks for your advice,

Regards
Norm
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation