Beep Code (3107 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Pamela Patnode
Message 1 of 7 (3,107 Views)

Beep Code

My HP Vectra VL420 MT will not boot.  There was a power failure when I was away and the computer was not hooked up to a surge protector.  Although this has happened in the past and the computer has always fired right up, this time it will not and is giving me the oddest beep code I've heard and cannot find it in the manual.  This is what it is giving me:

It is giving me 3 sets of beeps.  It gives a tone, then the same tone, followed by another 8 alternating high/low tones.  It does this for a total of three times.  Am I to take it that this means I am being given 3 beeps or is this something else?

I have added additional SDRAM and cleared the CMOS, but the beeps still occur.  I don't know what else to do.  Please - PLEASE - help me???

I keep trying to attach the beep code, but it won't let me!!

Thank you

Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 2 of 7 (3,092 Views)

Re: Beep Code

Hi, Pamela:

According to the manual, here are the beep codes your vl420 will produce:

Pre-boot Diagnostics (beep codes)
If, however, your PC is unable to display an error message (for example, when you graphics controller has failed), it will emit a buzzing sound. This is the pre-boot diagnostics feature. Immediately after the buzzing sound, a series of beeps is emitted.
If you hear a series of beeps, you should count them as this will help you detect the cause of the problem.
Number of Beeps
Meaning
 If you hear the buzzing audio signal: system OK • No buzzing audio signal: no power, PC is unplugged, power supply is down or system board has failed.
Processor absent, not correctly connected or processor socket not closed
Power supply is in protected mode. Check that there are no short circuits inside the PC. Remove the power cord from the back of the PC to deactivate the protection, then reinsert it.
No memory, bad memory modules, incompatible memory module
Video hardware problem. If using a graphics card, check the card is correctly inserted in its slot by removing and replacing it.
PnP/PCI initialization problem
Corrupted BIOS. You need to activate crisis recovery procedure (refer to “Updating Your PC’s BIOS” on page 32).
Defective system board
Please note that for Memory (code 3), Video Card (code 4), and PnP/PCI (code 5) errors, pre-boot diagnostics will only detect them after a 15-second timeout.
If you miss the beep code, turn off the PC by pressing the on/off power button for five seconds or more, then listen for the signal again.

If you are getting another pattern besides this, I would suspect the system board or power supply or both are fried.

Paul

Occasional Advisor
Pamela Patnode
Message 3 of 7 (3,084 Views)

Paul-

Thank you for getting back to me.  I've counted the beeps - there are 3 sets of 10 beeps each.  The first 2 beeps are the same tone, then they begin to alternate high and low.  I've tried everything I can think of to determine what the code means, but can't figure it out.

I've cleared the CMOS by switching the #5 switch to on, waited 1/2 hour, then switched it back on but the beeping is there there, unchanged.

I've pulled the CMOS battery, waited 30 minutes, again the beeping is there unchanged.

I've cleaned out all dust for the interior of the computer, reseated all the cables with no change.

I've pulled the graphics card and tried to power on again, but the beeping remains unchanged. 

I've pulled the USB Hub from the PCI slot (the only PCI device in the computer) and the beeping remains unchanged.

I've pulled the hard drives with the same result.

I've checked everything that I can think of - but the beeping is still there, unchanged.

I recorded a copy of the beeping, but there appears to be no way to attach an audio file here. Can you think of anything else that I haven't tried?

Occasional Advisor
Pamela Patnode
Message 4 of 7 (3,083 Views)

Oh yes, I also pulled the momory stick and put in a new one but the beeping is still there. I even inserted another one after that - with no change.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 5 of 7 (3,077 Views)

Hi, Pam:

If the first 2 beeps are the same tone, I suspect it is the power supply.

Unless you can get a P/S for free, I think it is time for an updated PC, and a surge protector.

Paul

Occasional Advisor
Pamela Patnode
Message 6 of 7 (3,074 Views)

Sadly Paul, I think you are right.  It really is time for a new computer........

Thank you for your help.  It was kind of you to respond so quickly.

Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 7 of 7 (3,070 Views)

It may be possible to reset the power supply . To reset the power supply do the following unplug the power cord. Press the power button. wait 30 minutes and plug the power cord back in and see if things startup normally. If you don't have a power strip with surge suppresion on it you are asking for trouble on any computer or electronics.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.