BIOS for Compaq EP Series K450 (172 Views)
Advisor
Philip Pawley
Message 1 of 4 (172 Views)

BIOS for Compaq EP Series K450

[ Edited ]

I have just bought a PCI hard drive controller card: the "HighPoint Rocket 133 Dual channel ATA 133 Disk Accelerator". I need to be able to boot to my new hard disk (which is larger than 137GB) on my Compaq EP. The Rocket controller does this.

My problem is that I need to be able to set "SCSI device" as the first booting device in the main board bios. There doesn't seem to be any SCSI option in the Compaq EP main board bios.

Am I simply not seeing it: if so where is it? Or, do I need a newer bios: if so, where can I find it?

Thanks,

Philip Pawley

P.S. This thread has been moved from Archived Desktops and Workstations Boards > general to Business PCs - Evo, Deskpro, Vectra, Kayak, Brio, e-PC - Hp Forums Moderator

Honored Contributor
Ronald Postma
Message 2 of 4 (172 Views)

Re: BIOS for Compaq EP Series K450

Hi Philip,
To my knowlidge you can only select the bootdevices that can be selected in the original state of the machine.
If you put in a controller card, the system should see it during Post and press a key to cnfigure the controller, (most of the times one of the F-keys) This message may not be displayed because the compaq logo at boot does not let the messages display. (you can let them be dislplayed with the TAB if I remember correcly.)

If you do want a newer Bios you can select your exact model from here:
http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_lang=en&h_cc=us&cc=us&h_page=hpcom〈=en&h_client=S-A-R163-1&h_pagetype=s-002&h_query=deskpro+EP

Hope this gets you started, been a while sins I worked with EP, brings back memories,

Regards, Ronald
The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"
Advisor
Philip Pawley
Message 3 of 4 (172 Views)

Hi Ronald,

In this case, the controller card has its own bios. It configures the drives on the controller card and I can use ctrl-H to configure which drive is the boot drive. The system has no trouble reading from or writing to any of the drives on the controller card.

The problem is that, if the boot drive is on the controller card, the main bios doesn't see it when booting up so the process hangs just before the NT loader screen.

I tried, for instance, installing another copy of windows 2000. I had to press F6 at the beginning of the process to install the controller cards' driver and the setup went perfectly: all the disks and partitions were seen precisely as they are and setup installed the new copy of windows 2000. The problem, again, was that, when it reied to boot into the new OS, it couldn't find it and hung just before the NT loader screen.

I tried using the TAB key and I tried each of the function keys in turn but it didn't bring anything up. (I'm not getting a Compaq logo on boot-up on this machine - I have another Compaq Deskpro, an EN SFF where the logo does appear).

Thanks for the link to the new bios. I found that and installed the newest bios. It was only an update from February 1999 to August 1999 and made no difference, alas.

Any ideas?

Thanks again,

Philip
Advisor
Philip Pawley
Message 4 of 4 (172 Views)

Hi Ronald,

BTW the system bios does recognise the card in one way at least: under "PCI devices", it lists it as a "RAID controller" and gives it an IRQ nr.

Thanks,

Philip
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.