BIOS access problems with Deskpro 2000 with a new hard-drive (62 Views)
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Message 1 of 1 (62 Views)

BIOS access problems with Deskpro 2000 with a new hard-drive

[ Edited ]

I have a Compaq Deskpro 2000, 5133.
The hard-drive has failed & needs replacing.

Old Compaq 2000 Deskpro pre-June 1999 BIOSs could only recognise specific hard-drives and only up to 8 GB. The smallest available hard-drive I have is 10 GB.
The Compaq web site includes a ROMPaq (“SP15800.exe”, 1-June-1999) that allows the BIOS to recognize hard drives larger than 8 GB. This I have installed.
Unfortunately the BIOS will not automatically recognise my 10 GB hard-drive when I boot with the new drive installed. I need to manually set this in the BIOS.

The latest F10 Setup and Personal Computer Diagnostics available on the Compaq website is version 1.23A dated 11 Oct 97. Problems with this are: (1) This is PRE the 1-June-1999 BIOS upgrade that allows the BIOS to recognize hard drives larger than 8 GB. (2) It is my experience that when the boot sequence fails when it does not recognise the hard-drive it does so before I have the option of accessing the F10 Setup and Diagnostics tools. (3) There is, in any event, no point creating a DIAGS partition (containing a new F10 Setup and Personal Computer Diagnostics) on my replacement 10GB hard-drive as the BIOS does not recognise the hard-drive and cannot read the partition.

The Compaq website offers “Personal Computer Diagnostics” – softpaqs that contain the files needed to create a bootable Compaq Personal Computer Diagnostics and Setup DISKETTES. Two versions are offered. The newest version (version 10.40 A, 7 Dec 00) states that it does not include the Setup function. The website also states that the pervious version (version 10.39A, SP12906) which is also on the web site does results in Setup being included and selectable from the startup menu. In fact, in neither version is Setup included nor is the relevant executable (“Setup.exe”) included in either download.

I am therefore looking for one of the following:
(1) The location or source of the Compaq 2000 Deskpro “Personal Computer Diagnostics” that creates a diskette that includes the Setup function and post-dates the (1-June-1999) revision that allows the BIOS to recognize hard drives larger than 8 GB.
(2) The relevant executable (“Setup.exe”) that post-dates the 1-June-1999 revision.
(3) Alternatively any ideas!
Osmund

P.S. This thread has been moved from Windows based to Business PCs - Evo, Deskpro, Vectra, Kayak, Brio, e-PC.
-HP Forum Moderator

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.