486 dx2 problem (409 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Luke2013
Message 1 of 4 (409 Views)

486 dx2 problem

[ Edited ]

hi,

I have a compaq Deskpro 486s /25m its a dx2 66

My problem with it is that it doesn't have normal ide slots on the motherboard for the hd, floppy and cd cdrives. Rather slots that look like those old expansion card slots on commodore 64s etc. They appear from underneath the power box. ive got the correct cable for the hard disk one and it works. the cable has one end that is your usual 39 pin ide female that fits to the hard disk and the other end is this 38 pin strange  narrow hole connector that fits onto the card slot of the computerl. I want another one like this for the cd drive. Ive searched everywhere and found nothing about these connectors and cables. If someone could tell me what they are called, or where i can get one, it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Luke

P.S. This thread has been moved from Remote PC Solutions to Business PCs - Evo, Deskpro, Vectra, Kayak, Brio, e-PC - HP Forums Moderator

Neighborhood Moderator
DaGuru
Message 2 of 4 (391 Views)

Re: 486 dx2 problem

Hi Luke,

Have you tried HP PartSurfer?  http://partsurfer.hp.com/

---------------------------------------------
I work for HP, but my posts and replies are my own.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 3 of 4 (355 Views)

I had one of these a few years back.. If I remember correctly you have to put a cab;e with a doule connector on it So that the CDROM and hard drive on on the same controller. Most older CDroms included such a cable. I hope tis helps.

Frequent Advisor
Stefan Kühn
Message 4 of 4 (225 Views)

That is a PATA standard interface cable supporting the cable select method.

There are different versions out there.

As far as I know U-PATA A_PATA and a very rare version of 386 PCATA.

YOu may ask Wikipedia for advice!

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.