Re: 2 beeps on a Kayak XM600 Series 2 (101 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Russell Gonsalves
Message 1 of 7 (101 Views)
Accepted Solution

2 beeps on a Kayak XM600 Series 2

[ Edited ]

When I try powering it on I get two beeps after a buzzing sound. The trouble shooting guide for this machine says that it means that the "Power supply is in protected mode" and that I should check that the "Power cables inside the PC are correctly connected.". I've checked this and all seems to be well with the connection. Any ideas as to what else I can check? Needless to say the screen remains blank.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

Russell

P.S. This thread has been moved from Windows based to Business PCs - Evo, Deskpro, Vectra, Kayak, Brio, e-PC.
-HP Forum Moderator

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Kinner
Message 2 of 7 (101 Views)

Re: 2 beeps on a Kayak XM600 Series 2

Disconnect power to the floppy and harddrive and cd rom and see if it will come up. If it does, one of them is bad. Hook them up one at a time and see which one causes the problem.

If that's not it remove any cards from it including the video and try again. If it still won't come up then you are probably looking at a new motherboard unless the fan is bad but I wouldn't think with the little wires that it has going to it that it could pull down the PS. Guess it wouldn't hurt to disconnect it for a short period.

Ron

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Russell Gonsalves
Message 3 of 7 (101 Views)

Thanks for the answer Ron. Let me add some more information since posting the original post. All of a sudden pressing the power button caused it to reboot fine. This computer has been running 24x7 for a long period of time at home. Recently some electrical work being done has caused the power to the house to be turned off and on. When coming back after work, I've found that trying to turn the computer on has resulted in the beeps mentioned above. I've not had time to research it till today when I found the troubleshooting guide (I bought this computer used with no doc) online and counted the beeps and listed the diagnosis and remedy in my message above. Once I realized there was a potential for power being turned off (the work on the house is ongoing), I used Windows XP to shutdown the computer (I didn't have to press the power button). I then turned the surge protector main power switch off. On returning I turn the surge protector switch on - behavior at this point is flaky can range from absolutely no noise from the box to the beeps mentioned above. Holding the power button on the system unit down for several seconds and releasing can once again result in beeps and various devices in the computer coming on - two fans + cpu fan + lights for the CD and CDRW (come and STAY on) but nothing on the monitor. Basically, flaky behavior (no pattern that I've recognized) until I noticed that turning the surge protector off and back on and then pressing the power button brought the system up like there was no problem. I also had the box open and pressed all the power connectors to make sure there was none loose (and didn't notice any loose). So any thoughts based on the additional information will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Russell
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
skiser
Message 4 of 7 (101 Views)

If there was an abrupt power spike, or the power went off, came on, went off again, the power supply can be put into "protected mode." Once it's in protected mode, the normal "fix" is to remove the power cord from the power supply for roughly 30 seconds.

Then the unit should boot normally. Can't tell if that's the case here, but it sounds similar. By turning off the power strip, you removed all power to the power supply.

Are you still having problems?
Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Russell Gonsalves
Message 5 of 7 (101 Views)

Skiser,

I wouldn't be surprised if you've hit the nail on the head. The machine has been running continuously since I last posted. However, I do remember that when I did shut it down, I asked Windows XP to shut it down and then turned the main switch on the power strip off. And, then in the evening when I tried to turn it on I had problems. I got this machine from a friend and it was not running XP when originally sold. I wonder if there is a cleaner way to turn if off and power it back on. Also, looking at the manual it mentions using the spacebar to turn it on - I've never been able to get it to do that. Until I understand how best to turn it on and off (given the problems I've had)I'm reluctant to turn it off.

I appreciate the time you and others take to respond and any futher light you can shed will be welcomed.

Thanks,

Russell
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Russell Gonsalves
Message 6 of 7 (101 Views)

I'm having problems again. This is the first time we've lost power since I last posted. I've tried the suggestion of the unplugging the power supply for 30 seconds. I was getting the chirping sound followed by two beeps. A little later - I've unplugged the power supply and plugged it back several times - both the CD drive lights lit up and the drives were spinning but nothing else came up (monitor was blank, no fans spinning). Right now I don't even get the two beeps. The computer was running fine until the power was cut off. The last time this happened it was some combination of turning things on and off (see my previous two posts in this thread) that magically turned the computer on. No luck this time. I'd love to hear suggestions! The power supply seems to be in a very protected mode!

Thanks,

Russell
Please use plain text.
mrb
Occasional Visitor
mrb
Message 7 of 7 (101 Views)

perhaps you want to try to put switch 10 on your main board that switch alows you to use your space bar as on switch let me know if it works for you for me it did. gtz mrb
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation