Re: xw6200 PCI-E power woes (252 Views)
Occasional Contributor
dcb73
Message 1 of 3 (252 Views)

xw6200 PCI-E power woes

Hi, hoping you can help...

I have a xw6200 that I just upgraded the video card in. I jumped from the stock card, to an nVidia 8800GTS. As a precaution for power demands, I purchased a dedicated power supply for the video card, as the stock PSU does not meet the power requirements of the video card. The issue is, when I use the additional power supply to supplement the video card, the system gives me the standard 5 beeps, and refuses to boot. I use the provided power connection from the stock PSU, and the system boots normally. My question is this...
Is there a way to disable the system from checking which power is being used to drive the card so that I may use my Juice Box as opposed to worrying about power needs?

Thanks!
Honored Contributor
John Kirk
Message 2 of 3 (252 Views)

Re: xw6200 PCI-E power woes

Dan

This model has a 500 watt power supply so I would think you should have plenty of power with the stock power supply. Since your computer seems to be working fine using just the stock power supply that would indicate that there is adequate power from the power supply.

If you still want to use your "Juice Box" I would suspect the problem is with the grounds. You need to find some way to connect the ground of the "Juice Box" to the ground of the main computer power supply. You are on your own here and I take no responsibility when something goes boom.

Hope this helps.

John K.

Occasional Contributor
dcb73
Message 3 of 3 (252 Views)

Re: xw6200 PCI-E power woes

Thanks for the tip. I am pretty comfortable with its performance without the JuiceBox, so I am going to send it back. Your post kind of resolidifies that, although, I believe my PSU is a 410W as opposed to a 500W. But in either case, it seems to be handling the load nicely. As for the Jicebox, great little thing, as it plugs directly in to the PSU for the "switch". ANyway, thanks again for the info.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.