"Software is being installed for you" screen that never leaves (1664 Views)
Occasional Visitor
CA1266833
Message 1 of 6 (1,664 Views)

"Software is being installed for you" screen that never leaves

I have a d-220 and I need to know how to disable something and why it happens if anyone could be so kind as to help me.

When I start up After logging in, a screen pops up and it has the HP Invent logo at the top. The screen says, "software is being installed for you. The system may reboot automatically."

Theis screen has two progress bars. The top one is full and the bottom one is one quarter full and never changes. This screen never leaves or finishes anything. It just hangs up the computer permanently.

I need to find out the name of the program or which thing I need to disable in msconfig to get rid of this thing.

I have actually left my computer on all day and overnight and it never changes or progresses at all or finishes. I have NOT installed any hardware by the way. Thanks for any help with this.
Please use plain text.
HP Pro
HpBiosGuy
Message 2 of 6 (1,664 Views)

Re: "Software is being installed for you" screen that never leaves

Hi Cherie,

This is HP's preinstall image installation engine. It is attempting to install the operating system and software for the system, but it sounds like it is stuck. I assume this is the first time you have powered on your system out of the box? Or you are doing a CD restore?

Depending on what point you are at during this process, there may not be a graceful way to recover. If you have the restore CDs that came with the system (restore CD, OS image CD, and possibly some additional supplemental CDs), I would recommend booting to the restore CD to re-image the drive. An installation wizard should guide you through the process, prompting you for the next CD, doing some reboots. During this process, you will see the same "Software is being installed for you" screen. Hopefully, it will not get hung up this time.

If it does, reply back and we'll see where to go from there.

Hope this helps,
Scott
Thanks,
HpBiosGuy

I am an HP Employee.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
CA1266833
Message 3 of 6 (1,664 Views)

Thanks Scott, but actually I reinstalled my OS many months ago and had this problem previously and disabled win.ini (I think) in the msconfig to get rid of it. I can't remember for sure. I've been using the system for at least 6 months simce I reformatted the HD. Now the thing is giving me trouble again. And when it comes on, it is PERMANENTLY hung. Other than that everything is working fime.
Please use plain text.
HP Pro
HpBiosGuy
Message 4 of 6 (1,664 Views)

Cherie,

So you are saying this comes up out of the blue after you've been using the system for some time. Hmmm...

Can you list what processes are on the startup tab when you run MSCONFIG? Boot up in Safe Mode and try to run it.

Thanks,
Scott
Thanks,
HpBiosGuy

I am an HP Employee.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Perignon
Message 5 of 6 (1,664 Views)

Hi Cherrie,

I'd concurr with Scott on the subject of the HP-engine pre-installed image. This said, its difficult to stand for a definitive diagnostic since you've reformatted the disk already and also killed win.ini. Therefore, could you please expand on the following questions:

1-Which OS have you installed?
2-Is the quick-restore package shipped with your computer corresponding to that OS?
3-What does HP install manual say? For example: is HP recommending that its sofware be installed prior to the OS or vice-versa?

Alain.

Frustrations surmounted are paving the way to expertise.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Frank Bellarmino
Message 6 of 6 (1,664 Views)

Hi Cherie & everyone,

Just wondering if you ever figured out this issue. I am currently doing a complete restore on an HP D530 SFF computer and am getting the same error...the computer just stops on the screen "Software is being installed for you, etc."

Thanks,
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation