"No bootable partiton in table" - PC only boots with a disk in CD/DVD drive (967 Views)
Occasional Visitor
PaulWebb43
Message 1 of 8 (967 Views)
Accepted Solution

"No bootable partiton in table" - PC only boots with a disk in CD/DVD drive

This is a new HP desktop (HP Compaq dx2300 Microtower). At first it booted fine
Now however, when I switch the computer on I get the following sequence:
1. "HP Invent" screen
2. Black screen with the words "Boot from CD"
3. Then the words appear "No bootable partiton in table"
(I think it should be "no bootable partition" but on the screen the last word is spelled "partiton")
4. Then the PC does nothing - I have to switch it off
However if there is a disk in the CD/DVD drive (any disk) it boots ok
I have run a hard disk test and it says all ok
Moreover this is the 2nd PC with this problem. With the first one HP told me to try a few things, then eventuially said use the restore CDs. Those CDs successfully wiped the hard-drive but then produced an error and wouldn't go any further! At that point HP swapped the PC for a new one - which after a few days seems to have produced the same "no bootable ..." problem
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Kirk
Message 2 of 8 (967 Views)

Re: "No bootable partiton in table" - PC only boots with a disk in CD/DVD drive

Paul

I am going to take a wild guess here but I suspect you are getting a virus that is wipeing out your boot sector or at the very least is monkeying about with the boot sector. The big clue for me thinking it is a virus is that "partition" is misspelled.

Some questions:
1. Are you running an antivirus?
2. You say the computer will boot with ANY CD in the CD/DVD drive. Do you mean it will boot with an audio CD in the drive? Or a movie DVD?

Can you get into BIOS (F10 Setup)? If so check settings for boot order and SATA (or hard drive).

Try clearing CMOS.

Hope this helps.

John K.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
PaulWebb43
Message 3 of 8 (967 Views)

Thanks John
Something strange has happened .. it now boots ok without a disk in the drive! (it had failed 5 or 6 times before). I have now tried booting it several times - and every time ok!

To answer some of your points:
- yes I am running ESET Smart Security (it was the first software I loaded on the PC)
- yes I can get into BIOS - boot order looks ok
- if the problem resurfaces I will try your suggestion of clearing CMOS (presumably means removing the battery temporarily)
Thanks for your help
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 4 of 8 (967 Views)

To clear the CMOS see page 4 of this doc. http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00859615/c00859615.pdf The other manuals are here. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual〈=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64180&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=3352967
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
PaulWebb43
Message 5 of 8 (967 Views)

Thanks Ron: that's great
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
PaulWebb43
Message 6 of 8 (967 Views)

I HAVE DISCOVERED THE SOLUTION!
THE PROBLEM ONLY OCCURS WHEN A USB FLASH DRIVE IS PLUGGED INTO THE PC
Not sure why this is but ..

-If I change the boot order in the BIOS the problem still occurs
(The order was originally 1.removable media 2.CD 3.HD 4.Network.
I changed it to 1.CD 2.HD and removed removable media from list totally)

- If I use a different flash drive (from a different manufacturer) the problem still occurs

- If I plug the flash drive into a USB port at the back instead of one of the ones at the front, the problem still occurs

- Other USB devices are plugged in (mouse, keyboard, Maxtor external drive, router) but they donâ t cause the problem

- If I have the flash drive plugged in but boot with the XP CD in the drive, then the PC boots ok. It looks first at the CD, says "press any key to boot from CD". If I do nothing the PC then the boots ok

- I previously thought that having any CD in the drive solved the booting problem but that was just coincidence: I had removed the USB flash drive, and that was the real reason it was booting ok.

Thanks v. much to both who took the time to reply.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Matt Jurach
Message 7 of 8 (967 Views)

THE PROBLEM ONLY OCCURS WHEN A USB FLASH DRIVE IS PLUGGED INTO THE PC

Whew! Yup, sure enough. Once I remembered that my thumbdrive was plugged into the back of the laptop and removed it, everything booted up just fine.

Heart can now resume beating.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Mazi Mazibuko
Message 8 of 8 (967 Views)

I have the same problem with a new USB printer. The old printer (USB) worked fine until I replaced it with a Photosmart 2573 Printer. When the printer disconnected, the pc boots fine. When connected, it displays "DISK ERROR" when booting. Any solutions?
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation