hp compaq 6200 pro efi issue (5014 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Jason35
Message 1 of 8 (5,014 Views)

hp compaq 6200 pro efi issue

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have a few HP 6200 Pros.  I just installed Windows 7 x64 using EFI after I upgraded the computers bios to 2.14.  They are working fine until I installed a second hard drive into one of the units.  Much to my surprise the system booted from this other drive instead of the primary hard drive.  Let me explain:

SATA0 - EFI install Windows Pro

SATA1 - EFI install Windows Home Premium already installed from a different source

When I added the second hard drive the system is booting from SATA1 instead of SATA0.  All I see in the boot squence area is EFI - Windows Boot Manager.  All legacy options have been disabled.  Why is the system booting from SATA1 instead of SATA0.  How can I change the system to boot from SATA0?

While I am discussing bios issues I would like to make the following requests:

1) I want to be able to add/delete/edit EFI entries in the bios like I can with Dell systems.  If I could do this I wouldn't be posting right now.

2) I want to disable the parallel port in the bios but there is no option to do so.  There is an option to disable the serial port, but not the parallel port.

Thanks,

P.S. This thread has been moved from Archived Desktops and Workstations Boards > Windows based to Business PCs - Compaq, Elite, Pro. - Hp Forum Moderator

Occasional Advisor
Jason35
Message 2 of 8 (4,940 Views)

Re: hp compaq 6200 pro efi issue

I guess HP can't be bothered to answer. 

I discovered a new bug.  If you boot from a EFI enabled usb thumb drive you can no longer boot from a usb thumb drive in legacy mode.  This is a major problem as no Linux distrubition ships an EFI enabled CD or USB image so I can't boot into a Linux OS. 

Occasional Visitor
Tech_guy
Message 3 of 8 (4,931 Views)

Since the parallel port in not onboard you cannot disable it.

regarding boot order even i had faced similar issue so Tech support guy requested me to make some changes,

can you reset bios once to factory default and check, Clear CMOS.

Also make sure you have not connected any HDD to ESATA port on system board.

Occasional Advisor
Jason35
Message 4 of 8 (4,908 Views)

I reset the BIOS to factory defaults and I can boot my thumb drive in legacy mode again.  However all of my other issues are still here.

To recap:

1)  There is no way to set the default hard drive to boot from under EFI Boot Sources.  This is what I have under EFI Boot Sources:

Windows Boot Manager

ATAPI CD/DVD Drive

USB Floppy/CD

USB Hard Drive

when I press F9 during boot up I see:

Windows Boot Manager

Hitachi hard drive

Windows Boot Manager

Windows Boot Manager

WDC hard drive

Windows Boot Manager

ADATA usb hard drive

The Windows Boot Manager is installed on both hard drives.  I can successfully EFI boot the WDC hard drive from F9.  The second EFI hard drive should show up under the EFI Boot Sources ie:

Windows Boot Manager Hitachi

Windows Boot Manager WDC
ATAPI CD/DVD Drive

USB Floppy/CD

USB Hard Drive

2) I realize there is no parallel port on the 6200 pro.  However in the Bios under Advanced, Device Options there is an option called Printer Mode which can set a parallel port in different parallel port modes (ECP, EPP, etc).  Since there is no paralllel port this option should be removed.

3)  When I press F9 I see 4 Windows Boot Managers and only have 2 Windows insallation.  None of the Windows Boot Managers are for the second Windows installation.

Thanks,

Occasional Visitor
Tech_guy
Message 5 of 8 (4,886 Views)

ok i got it,

your issue is that under boot order sequence you are not able to find both of your HDDs and also you are not able to find option to change the boot order in EFI BIOS.

i.e.

Windows boot manager Hitachi as first HDD and

Windows boot manager WDC as second HDD

i have no idea how this can be done, HP tech support people has to answer this.

Occasional Advisor
Jason35
Message 6 of 8 (4,867 Views)

[ Edited ]

HP has to fix their bios.  I have called HP tech support.  My first service request was closed after 6 weeks.  I told them to reopen the case and they wouldn't.  They don't want their reports to look bad by having an open servuce request that is now 9 weeks unresolved.  The new case is now 3 weeks old and I still have not heard from HP.  Every time I call I am told they will have the tech working on the issue call me.  So far no calls.  I have requested to speak with a supervisor every time I have called and have never spoken with one.  I get transferred to some voicemail that gets ignored.  After HP closed my first case I got an satisfaction survey.  I was honest with the answers and so far no one has called me.  I once filled out a satisfaction survey with similar negative feedback from another company.  I had a senior supervisor call me within 20 minutes of hitting submit.  My problem was fixed 3 days later.  Apparently HP just doesn't care about their customers.  Take this forum for example, where are the moderates trying to help.  This is NOT how you treat BUSINESS class customers.  I paid for top level support and am disappointed.

Occasional Advisor
Jason35
Message 7 of 8 (4,841 Views)

New problem.  The bios is creating creating multiple slots with the same name.  This is causing multiple warnings in Linux.  

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 8 of 8 (4,837 Views)

Re: HP compaq 6200 pro EFI issue

>Take this forum for example, where are the moderators trying to help?

This is a peer to peer forum and not an official HP support site.

Try the HPSC: http://www.hp.com/go/hpsc

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.