e1 ecxpress error event ID 27, Intel 82579LM network adaptor regularly disconnects (35526 Views)
Occasional Advisor
ICMAKW
Message 1 of 15 (35,526 Views)

e1 ecxpress error event ID 27, Intel 82579LM network adaptor regularly disconnects

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Wonder if anyone can help please.

I’ve got a network driver issue with the Intel network adaptor.

Error: disconnection from the network (red cross on network icon) followed by reconnection as if the network cable is unplugged. Happens every 2-3 mins then is ok for a few hours, seems to be more frequent when I’m using the computer but also happens at night. It is followed by event ID 129, Time-service.

In event log:

Event ID 27

Source e1 express

Description  Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection Network link is disconnected.

My system: HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF PC (XL510AV)

Win 7 enterprise 64bit

Driver version: Intel pro/1000 release 16.8_257663 (11 May 2012) also tried PROWinx64.exe version 17.1 (05/15/2012) http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=18713

Issue appears to have been raised on the Intel forum http://communities.intel.com/thread/20429?start=0&tstart=0

I have tried replacing the network cable and I’ve done a cable test – error still occurs.

Changing connection speed of the adaptor, interrupt moderation, and forced slave mode – error still occurs.

The computer is connected to a desktop switch which has other computers working off it (Dell win XP pcs) which don’t have an outage when my pc disconnects indicating it’s specific to my computer and not the infrastructure.

Neighborhood Moderator
DaGuru
Message 2 of 15 (35,469 Views)

Re: e1 ecxpress error event ID 27, Intel 82579LM network adaptor regularly disconnects

Hi ICMAKW,

What make/model/firmware switch are you connecting to and are you running auto negotiation or 'nailed' settings?  Have you adjusted any other NIC settings?

The event 29 may be because the client can't sync time with your server (assuming the computer is a in a domain).

Lastly, are you running the HP NIC driver (16.8) or the newer one from Intel's website?

Thanks,

/D

---------------------------------------------
I work for HP, but my posts and replies are my own.
Advisor
friendling
Message 3 of 15 (35,462 Views)

Re: e1 ecxpress error event ID 27, Intel 82579LM network adaptor regularly disconnects

Are there any other errors in event viewer you might not relate to Nic ?

Occasional Advisor
ICMAKW
Message 4 of 15 (35,206 Views)

Sorry for late response I've been away for a bit.

Switch is a HP procurve on auto. The NIC settings are all on default although i hvae tried  chainging serval of the settings with no change in the error.

Tried both Intel drivers and HP ones.

I am on a domain but if the PC can't sync the time will it cause the the network icon to appear as if the network is disconnected?

I have temparoily solved the issue by using a boadcom based network card. plugging the network cable back into the orginal port brings back the error.

Neighborhood Moderator
DaGuru
Message 5 of 15 (35,159 Views)

Re: e1 express error event ID 27, Intel 82579LM network adaptor regularly disconnects

[ Edited ]

Hi ICMAKW,

What model Procurve and what firmware level is it running?

Something to try; on the Advanced Driver TAB, try changing the Gigabit Master Slave Mode from Auto to 'Force Master Mode' and see how it behaves.  Depending on the behavior you might also try forcing it to slave mode.  Note: Changing this feature may cause the NIC to drop link and renegotiate.

For your newest question, when the link drops (event 27 confirms this), it is common to see the OS Time Sync fail with an event recorded in the System Event Log.  This is expected behavior. So, you should see the red "X" over the network icon in the systray.

Does your system have more than one Network Interface?  Also, I was re-reading over your original question and noticed something strange.  What is the Source process identified as?  'e1<space>express' appears to be an anomaly.  In this space you should see a character, which will indicate which driver your OS is actually using.  Can you please follow up with the full source name?

Thanks

Occasional Advisor
ICMAKW
Message 6 of 15 (35,150 Views)

Re: e1 express error event ID 27, Intel 82579LM network adaptor regularly disconnects

Hi

Unfortunately I don't know the Procurve model nor the firmware level.

I've just tried changing the gigabit master slave mode from auto to force master and force slave, no change

error still occurs.

It does have another NIC now with a different chip (broadcom). Source process is identified as e1cexpress.
Tried the drivers from the HP website (sp57193 11.15.16.0 date: 11/01/2012) and from Intel (11.16.96.0 date: 21/06/2012)

I have just turned off all the power management options (power saver and wake on LAN) as advised from another forum and the problem still persists.

The broadcom chipset seems to be stable.

Neighborhood Moderator
DaGuru
Message 7 of 15 (35,126 Views)

Thanks for the feedback.  Please see if you can identify the ProCurve model and it's firmware level.  ProCurve releases updates on a fairly regular basis for some models and there is always the chance this could be a known issue that has already been addressed in firmware.  Otherwise, the next best step would be to open a support case with HP Networking and possibly HP Desktops.  Note: The support team may ultimately need the switch model and firmware level to proceed.

Keep in mind that not all NICs are created equal.  With all the accepted specifications and standards, NIC vendors architect their hardware and write drivers in different ways, which sets them apart from each other.  Each vendor will attempt to gain as much performance for their product as they can, but this adds risk to the product’s stability.  So, it’s a bit of a balancing act…  Too much design to performance and the risk of errors and other anomalies increases.  Switch vendors do this too.  So, interoperability is where the rubber meets the road and occasionally things will break.

Thanks

Occasional Visitor
NSecrier
Message 8 of 15 (33,773 Views)

Hello,

We've got the same issue on a handful of HP workstations (Z210) at random times. This only occurs to machines with Win7 64 bit and no matter what you do to fix the problem, until you reboot the machine, you cannot reconnect back to the switch. The last instance occurred on my machine and we could run extensive testing to identify the problem.

• We have run extensive tests of our cable and switches using Fluke devices and all of these were successful.
  • Changed network and switch settings from 100-Full to Auto-Auto, Auto-1000, and so on. Played with flow control as well with no luck.
  • Pugged the cable back in the culprit machine and the problem reoccurred.
  • WE have updated the NIC drivers to the latest version from HP (driver version 11.15.16.0) and this required machine reboot which solved the problem.

We are using 5412ZL running the latest recommended firmware K15.15.08.0013 as of last weekend but this issue happened on the previous firmware K.15.03.0007.

This issue is quite important as we are a trading house and any downtime is unacceptable...

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Nicholas

Neighborhood Moderator
DaGuru
Message 9 of 15 (31,940 Views)

NSecrier,

For the 5412ZL, please try disabling the Energy Efficient Ethernet feature (IEEE 802.3az) for the port(s) supporting your affected system(s) and let us know the outcome.

Thanks,
Occasional Visitor
RONDINEAU Alain
Message 10 of 15 (22,465 Views)

Hi

We are facing the same issue today on several desktops having a intel 82579lM network card on HP8100/8200/8300.

We are running win7 pro 64-bit Ith the latest version of drivers and noticed the same symptoms.
And dońt know really why we are facing this issue only today.

We tried differents things on HP8300 :
- update the latest drivers intel
- upgrade to the last bios version 2.90 rev A according to HP advisory (fixed issue With Intel AMT)
- disable Energy efficiency Ethernet
- update NDIS drivers to the last version according Microsoft recommendation

Can you tell me how did you fixed the issue ?

Thanks
Valued Contributor
Bright3
Message 11 of 15 (22,414 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, i dont think is a driver issue, try replacing your small switch that you have, let see if that works first, next step, put a new network card.

Occasional Visitor
ServetheStupid
Message 12 of 15 (19,543 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I am also experiencing issues with the 82579LM Network card.
This is an issue occuring on a large range of machines, I have tried a few fixes in regards to an event ID 5719.

Basically, the machines experiencing this issue appear to be failing to load their drive mappings. I have a temporary solution with a little script for users to execute to get their mappings after logging in, but nothing else I try seems to work.

I've tried the following suggestions by microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938449

Sadly, none of those helped.

So now I'm looking at the entry 'Event ID 27 e1cexpress'.

The slight difference from most people posting here is that these users aren't experiencing constant drop outs or disconnections, none of them even report a disconnection at all. This event ID appears just after logging in.

I'm not overly smart, so my troubleshooting might not be very good. But I see the following event ID's in order and thought that perhaps I could change the NETLOGON service to a delay start, but then I got an error when trying to even do this.

Looking at the event logs, I see the following in order (that I think are related)

- Error NETLOGON - Event ID: 5719

- DHCP-Client - Event id: 50036 (service started)

- DHCPv6-Client - Event id: 51046 (service started)

- e1cexpress - Event ID: 7036

- Time-Service - Event ID: 129

To break down my thoughts (sorry if this is poorly constructed);
1. I see this failure to set up a secure session with the domain controller due to being no logon servers available to service the logon request (Event ID: 5719)

2. Then I see the DHCP clients start successfully (ID: 50036 & 51046)

3. Then I see the e1cexprss  (network disconnected)
(On my computer, I also have the same card and I do not get this network disconnection, instead, I have Event ID: 33 for e1cexpress, which occurs prior to the DHCP services starting).
4. The ntpClient (not sure what that is, haven't looked into it yet) was unable to set a domain peer to use as a time source because of discovery error. The entry isn't found (0x800706E1).

First I was thinking that perhaps I could delay start some of these services, thinking that perhaps they are starting too fast. But the more I looked the more I saw, the 4th point above also had the following commands to resync (and I assume fix the times), the command was 'w32TM /resync' and a following command 'w32TM /query /status'. An event ID of 138 indicates the recovery was made from a previous failure, implying it was successful. The commands will also need to be ran with local admin rights.

I also have tried multiple driver versions for this NIC on the affected machines, I've actually trialled different versions across different machines to try isolate a solution if one is found.

I've only just tried the resync I have just mentioned & asked a user to reboot, so I will edit this post once I receive any further update in regards to the mapping dropping off and these event ID's occurring in the order in which they are.

I hope all of this makes sense and isn't all stupid and completely random.. I feel as though I'm looking in the right direction?

Edit:

It seems I have resolved my issue with drive mappings not appearing & the disconnection which was occuring at first logon. The two W32TM commands I had mentioned were successful in resolving the issue for me at this point in time.

I'll give further feedback in a weeks time, or prior if the issue re-occurs, just to ensure it is a definite fix.
I'm unsure if it may assist everyone else with their issues above, I felt mine was slightly related.

Occasional Visitor
TITANIUMGIANT
Message 13 of 15 (14,120 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well, i am certainly glad i have researched this issue and stumbled on this.  Good to know that i am not the only one experiencing this issue. I have read all the recommendations so far and have realized i have done them all and issue still remains in place. 

The one thing although i must say is the frequency of mine is much less than what others seem to be experiencing.  In my case the machines disconenct once every 2 to 3 days

Occasional Visitor
Nicotine34
Message 14 of 15 (2,838 Views)

Level Date and Time Source Event ID Task Category
Warning 26.09.2014 08:31:01 e1dexpress 27 None "Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-LM
 Network link is disconnected.
"

Can you help me, how can fixed the problem ?
System : windows 7 pro 64 bit
Device : HP8300

Thanks for help

Neighborhood Moderator
DaGuru
Message 15 of 15 (2,812 Views)

In general, event 27 is usually expected because this event gets logged every time the system shuts down, reboots, goes to sleep, or if the OS resets it.  Though disabled by default in the HP Driver, if Intel's SIPS feature is enabled, event 27 is logged every time the system idles long enough for the screen saver to kick in.  As a result, there are other things to look for beyond just event 27.  In other words, what other events might lead up to the disconnect?

Watch for indicators like frequency of occurrence (intermittently or indicative of a link flapping condition) and is this happening during idle periods or while the user is actively using the system.  What other e1x events surround the event (does it reconnect and at what speed); below is a reference table for other Intel Ethernet events in case you don't have the Intel help driver installed. 

Intel Ethernet Event ID Decoder Event Description 24 Unable to start the network adapter. 27 Link Disconnected 31 Adapter = Auto; LP = Nailed 32 Link Established at 1000mbps 33 Link Established at 100 FDX 34 Link Established at 100 HDX 35 Link Established at 10 FDX 36 Link Established at 10 HDX 40 e1[x]express cannot be found

table.PNG

If the connection re-connects at gigabyte, drops then reconnects at 100MB - This can sometimes be a sign of a misconfiguration between the NIC and the switch (both sides must match each other to work properly) or a faulty connection or substandard cabling (Gigabit over 2 pair Ethernet will fall back to 100MBps.)

When working with nailed connections (10 or 100MBps), try enabling the NIC's 'Legacy Switch Compatibility Mode' (found in the HP driver.)   All the newer Intel NICs attempt to auto negotiate the 'nailed' speed, which doesn't interoperate well with some switches.  So, enabling the [legacy] feature forces the NIC to use the older method of communicating at the selected speed only.

If you suspect a race condition, try enabling "Wait for Link" in the driver's advanced settings.  This setting can help if the OS thinks the network is ready before it actually is.

Another setting to consider is to max out both transmit and receive buffers (2048) in the driver properties.  This can reduce or eliminate driver resets in cases where there is an overly high rate of UDP traffic traversing the connection.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.