Re: dc7900 boot from dual hard disks? (385 Views)
Occasional Visitor
faithie999
Message 1 of 6 (509 Views)

dc7900 boot from dual hard disks?

i have a dc7900 CMT, bios 1.26.

i have 2 versions of windows, installed on separate hard disks.  when each disk is connected separately, windows boots fine.

i then connected one HD to SATA0 and the other to SATA1.

at boot i choose F9, and then on the boot devices menu i select Hard Disk, but i'm not able to choose which hard disk to boot from.

how do i choose the disk i want to boot from?

thanks

Occasional Visitor
haydaze1951
Message 2 of 6 (452 Views)

Re: dc7900 boot from dual hard disks?

I've been looking for this answer for over 3 years. I've visited forums and come away with my head in a swoon after reading about 500 different ways to dual boot 2 hdds with different OSs.I've even called where I bought my DC7900CMT (I've bought seven HPs from them) and got told I didn't possess the knowledge to do such a thing (last time I do business with them). It IS possible to do, but apparently we've all got to be computer gurus to figure it out....

Valued Contributor
Bright3
Message 3 of 6 (446 Views)

Hello there, try this, windows key + r, then type msconfig selet boot option change the timeout on the right to 30 seconds,see if that works.

Valued Contributor
Bright3
Message 4 of 6 (444 Views)

Click Apply and ok,resboot the system.
Occasional Visitor
haydaze1951
Message 5 of 6 (431 Views)

Here is the QUICKEST and EASIEST way to dual boot ANY computer, it's called "easyBCD" and it is free. If you go to the manufacturers site you'll be charged about 55 bucks, BUT if you scroll down towards the bottom of the 1st page that comes up, there will be a FREE download site with ZERO add-on garbage that takes 20 or more minutes to uninstall. It works wonderful. After going to the suggested youtube site for a tutorial (very helpful, although the guy did not have 2 HDDs or SSDs in his computer) it was a less than 1 minute set-up. When you start your computer again, it will automatically go into a BIOS page where you use the arrows on your keyboard to select which drive you wish to use, and then just push ENTER and VOILA, XP on the screen. I downloaded the program using my win7pro drive, and then installed the program. I had my fingers crossed for a minute, but when the screen automatically went to a BIOS screen I was VERY pleased. Now I can use my CAD programs which refused to load into win7pro I guess because of their age. This free download just saved my wallet from paying for late model CAD and CNC (computer numerical control) programs that are well into the $4000.00 range. Happy booting....

Valued Contributor
Bright3
Message 6 of 6 (385 Views)

The quickest is not to install anything or dont do anything, thants the quickest lol.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.