dc7700 and Windows 7 (6592 Views)
Frequent Advisor
TheGreatAus
Message 1 of 22 (6,592 Views)

dc7700 and Windows 7

So I have had the dc7700 for a little bit now, and after Windows 7 came out, installed it (windows 7 64-bit) on there because the utility versus that of XP is insane.  However, this tower is supposed to be able to hyperthread, and I think it does in Windows XP, but I dont think it does in Windows 7 64-bit, or in windows 7 in general.  This may be due to the fact that I couldnt install chipset drivers for windows 7 like I could for windows xp (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12...

So my question is: will HP ever release chipset drivers to enable the Hyper Threading under the windows 7 OS?? If not, can I use another chipset driver??  I think I tried, but any info with this would be nice since I think my computer would run faster yet with HT enabled.

Thanks ahead of time!

Bret

Also, a fun fact: the dc7700 can take 4 sticks of 2 GB RAM for those of you who ever wondered.  You have to have a 64-bit OS though!  Runs smooth as silk with 8 GB!

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
TheGreatAus
Message 2 of 22 (6,587 Views)

Re: dc7700 and Windows 7

For a little more clarification, I checked my device manager and found that these items on my PC did not have drivers:

PCI Serial Port

PCI Simple Communications Controller

Though I think that this is linked to the chipset drivers missing.

I did try to insall this driver fwiw: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12... , and it did not work...

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 3 of 22 (6,578 Views)

Hi:

Unless you have a Pentium 4 in your PC, none of the other supported processors that I know of support hyperthreading. They are dual core w/o hyperthreading.

You can check to see that you have dual core functionality by going to the device manager and clicking on the arrow next to Processors. You should see two listed.

If you have a single core Pentium 4 with hyperthreading, it will also appear twice.

As to the missing drivers, they have nothing to do with hyperthreading.

See if these 2 drivers make those devices go away...

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12...

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12...

Paul

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
TheGreatAus
Message 4 of 22 (6,576 Views)

I

Paul Tikkanen wrote:

See if these 2 drivers make those devices go away...

Paul

So I tried both of those drivers, and it said: This operating system will not respond. Then it shuts the install down. Those are for 32-bit systems I think.

Youre probably right with the Hyperthreading thing.  I just figured if some of the dc7500's can HT, then why shouldnt a dual core, 'better' version?  Thanks for informing me of that! :)

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 5 of 22 (6,574 Views)

Hi:

Those drivers were for either 32 or 64 bit versions.

See if you can manually install them by clicking on the missing devices in the device manager. Click on the driver tab. Click on Update Driver. Select the Browse my computer for software and browse to the installation folders that were created when you ran those downloads.  They will be found on your C:\ drive in a folder named SWSetup\spxxxxx for each file. The xxxxx is the file name of the download. Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked when you browse and see if they install that way.

Paul

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
TheGreatAus
Message 6 of 22 (6,484 Views)

Paul, I totally missed this response.  I will try this when I get home.  Thank you for your help, I hope to fix this soon!

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
TheGreatAus
Message 7 of 22 (6,472 Views)

Paul,

What you suggested worked and solved the issue for the most part.  The one weird thing that happened after manually loaded the drivers for the PCIE comm SOL drivers, was it moved to the 'Ports' section and then it said 'Intel(R) Active Management Technology - SOL (COM3)', but it had an exclamation on the little graphic.  When you click on it and go to 'Properties', it says this:

This device cannot start. (Code 10) 

Other than that, the PCI issues were resolved.  Thanks again!

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 8 of 22 (6,466 Views)

You're welcome, Bret.

I think that may be due to the possibility that you need to enable AMT in the BIOS. It may be disabled.

Paul

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
TheGreatAus
Message 9 of 22 (6,463 Views)

I went into BIOS and went to the AMT options. I enabled everything and the exclamation point was still there after I restarted the machine.  I went back into BIOS and switched the machine from VT100 to ANSI (in AMT options), and restarted the machine, but the exclamation is still there.

Interestingly, when I start the machine and its going thru its bootup sequence, it says that the AMT is enabled, but it is not configured.  It seems that after doing a bit of research, configuring an AMT table is a bit tricky.  Thoughts?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 10 of 22 (6,460 Views)

Hi, Bret:

Browse thru this long post, and then pay attention toward configuring AMT, where I hope you find the solution.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Deskpro-EVO/DC7800-Yellow-Exclamation-on-Intel-Management-...

Paul

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Uyshi
Message 11 of 22 (6,297 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Apologies if this is not the place I should be asking. I have had a dc7700 SFF for quite some time which worked quite well with XP Pro. I have now upgraded to Windows 7 Pro and after upgrading, everything worked well except for the video being choppy. The issue seems to be with the Video Driver as it is showing up as needing to be updated on Device Manager. However I can not find any driver to download from HP or Intel for this. I am not sure how to check what exactly the name of my graphics adapter is but is says Intel Grantsdale Integrated-G Graphics Adapter in Display Settings-> Advanced Settings->Adapter tab. Thanks in advance

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 12 of 22 (6,290 Views)

Hi:

You can try the vista graphics driver from the dc7700 support page.

You can try the Intel graphics driver from Intel, but it may not install, due to sometimes you get an error that states "use the driver from the PC manufacturer."

Select the 32 or 64 bit version of W7 driver at the link below. You find Intel drivers based on the chipset. The dc7700 has the Intel 965 chipset.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Deskto...

Paul

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Uyshi
Message 13 of 22 (6,269 Views)

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I tried both your suggestions and unfortunately they didnt work. The Vista driver comes up with a message that I am using the wrong or a different OS and the chipset driver installed fine but didnt do anything else. 

I am thinking of just getting windows xp mode as I would not want to look for an old card for this old machine. Would you have any other suggestions? Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 14 of 22 (6,266 Views)

Hi:

As far as the video driver, try installing it manually.

Run the Vista graphics package again if you deleted the installation file. Close out of the OS not Supported error.

Click on the VGA adapter in the device manager. Then click on the driver tab. Click on Update driver and browse to C:\SWSetup\sp41523 (32 bit) or sp41524 (64 bit). Make sure the include subfolders box is checked and see if the driver installs that way.

Paul

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Uyshi
Message 15 of 22 (6,242 Views)

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately, it comes up with "The Best Driver Software for your device is already installed". In device manager it is actually Video Controller that has the triangle with the exclamation mark inside it.

I did notice that the machine came with a DVI graphics card (AGP Digital Display actually) on it which is a Silicon Image Sil1364. After some research it doesnt have any drivers on the net as well. I cant see anything on the BIOS to make changes to make it available as well

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 16 of 22 (6,238 Views)

Hi:

Please click on the vga controller in the device manager. Then click on the details tab.

In the Properties drop down list select the second item (Hardware ID's).

Post the top string of characters you see in the window.  Those will give more info about the device.

If we can't find drivers for it, I would remove it and use the onboard video (unless for some reason, it doesn't work and that is why someone installed an add on card).

Paul

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Uyshi
Message 17 of 22 (6,222 Views)

Hi Paul,

I really appreciate your help for this issue. I believe that I am already using the onboard video. It is the DVI card that I plan on using to get around the issue that the onboard video does not have a driver.  The 7700s I have were given away from the place I work at and all of the machines seem to have them. I think HP might have included them when they gave the machines to us. 

Device Manager.jpg

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 18 of 22 (6,219 Views)

Hmmm...

This is very interesting. 

The hardware ID you posted indicates that you have an onboard Intel GMA900 video controller, which means that you have a dc7100, not a dc7700.

Does your BIOS state you have a dc7700? I really don't get it.

Anyway, the Intel GMA 900 video controller is not fully Windows 7 capable.  However, I found a way to install a graphics driver for that adapter that will give you full graphics capability in Windows 7, except you will not have Aero.

Here is how to install the video driver for that hardware:

It will only work on a 32 bit W7 installation. I cannot find a 64 bit driver anywhere. The file description states it is also for Vista 64 bit but there are no 64 bit drivers therein.

First download and run this package. You will get an "Operating System Not Supported" error, or words to that effect.  Close out of the error window.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=ob-472...

Now, click on your VGA adapter in the device manager. Click on the driver tab. Click on Update Driver.

Select the "Browse My Computer for Software" method, and browse to the driver installation folder that was created when you ran the file. 

That file location is located in C:\SWSetup\sp34749. Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked, and the driver should install.

Reboot the PC and now you should be able to change your screen resolution and you will have graphics acceleration. Just no Aero.

If you want all the eye candy found in Windows 7, you will need to add a PCIe low profile Windows 7 capable graphics adapter. The video card will also need a low profile mounting bracket and work within the limits of your 240W power supply.

So, if that video driver installs, you definitely have a dc7100, not a dc7700.

Paul

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Uyshi
Message 19 of 22 (6,209 Views)

Hi Paul,

Apologies but you are correct these are 7100s. I took the word of the people that gave me these and didnt bother checking the model in the BIOS. They are working perfectly fine now. I would still not have been able to find this by just checking the download areas in the HP Website. Many thanks for this. I very much appreciate your help for this. 

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 20 of 22 (6,207 Views)

You're very welcome.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Cassius01
Message 21 of 22 (5,745 Views)

Hello,

I need some help . I have a HP Compaq dc7700 Convertible Minitower PC.  I installed windows 7 x64, i don't have any marks in device manager for drivers , i tried with all kind of drivers but nothing works, the problem is with the restart(reboot). When i restart from windows it enters in a cycle and never enter again, only when i shut down. I read the forum and tried different solutions but didn't work. Is there someone who had the same problem and resolve it? Doesn't have HP the new drivers for chipset windows 7?  

Thank you

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 22 of 22 (5,741 Views)

Hi:

Try clearing the CMOS.

Read the troubleshooting manual at the link below if you don't know how to do that. Appendix B, Pages 62 and 63.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01302202/c01302202.pdf

That has worked for a few folks, and not for some.

I don't know of anyone that has found a 100% fix for this problem, which also happens on some dc7800's as well.

My dc7800 "boot looped" with windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, but runs just fine with windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

Go figure!

Paul

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation