dc7600 - graphics card (1041 Views)
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 1 of 8 (1,041 Views)

dc7600 - graphics card

Although being warned (thanks again, John Kirk!), I bought a dc7600 USDT (at what I think is a really good price) and whilst waiting for it to arrive I'm thinking on upgrades.

I would like to run it under Vista. It's classified by HP to be "Vista Capable" (Logo" Design for Windows XP. Windows Vista Capable").

As I would like to work with Aero, I'm thinking of getting a graphics card with enough video RAM (possibly 256MB).

I have no idea on which card might be possible, however.

If a "riser card" is added, the machine has 1 PCI slot ; PCI-E is not supported.

In the QuickSpecs
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12253_div/12253_div.HTML
as "options" HP offers two cards:
- NVIDIA Quadro NVS 280 64-MB PCI dual head VGA
- NVIDIA Quadro 55 NVS 64MB PCI low profile DVI w/TV-out

AFAICS they both would not be sufficient as they only have 64MB video RAM.

Does anybody know if there are PCI cards on the market which might fit?

And to make things even more complicated:
Would an additional card disable the built-in video ("Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000")?

Rainald
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 2 of 8 (1,041 Views)

Re: dc7600 - graphics card

To my 2nd question

The Technical Reference Guide says:
"Adding a graphics card will, by default, disable the integrated graphics on the system board. The integrated graphics can be
reenabled by changing the BIOS settings in Computer Setup."

Trusted Contributor
Sys Admin
Message 3 of 8 (1,041 Views)

64M is the minimum for Aero to work.

Aero will work with the built in graphics provided by the intel graphics media accelerator display device.

Ideally you would want dedicated graphics, which all the add-in devices will work, as long as you get the PCI riser card.

Finally, I recommend a minimum of 2 gigs system memory for Vista for optimum performance. Memory is about as cheap as you'll find it right now.
Honored Contributor
Steven Hauk_1
Message 4 of 8 (1,041 Views)

The Quickspecs say it's a "full-height" PCI slot. It would appear you won't have a problem with space. I would suggest just a basic ATI card, but make sure it's Vista-ready. Example:

http://www.diamondmm.com/X1300PCI256.php

Honored Contributor
Steven Hauk_1
Message 5 of 8 (1,041 Views)

I guess I should say...not just Vista-ready, but also Aero-ready. You might need to contact the manufacturer to confirm.
Honored Contributor
John Kirk
Message 6 of 8 (1,041 Views)

Rainald

To add a note to Steven's graphics card. You need to check the length of any graphics card. Most I have seen of the higher end that would be required for Vista/Aero are longer than the 6.6 inch max length available.

Hope this helps.

John K.
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 7 of 8 (1,041 Views)

Thanks a lot, guys, for helping me!

Sysadmin,
1.) Thanks for pointing to the correct minimum requirements for running Aero.
I had mixed that with the criteria for "Windows Vista Premium Ready PCs".

As for a foreseeable period of time I will most probably not use resolutions higher than 1280*1024 (which is what my 19" monitor supports) I now think that possibly the 128MB shared memory of the Intel graphics processor might be sufficient for Aero - the more as footnote 3 of the "Premium" criteria states:
>> If the GPU uses shared memory, then no additional graphics memory is required beyond the 1 GB system memory requirement; If the GPU uses dedicated memory then 128MB is required.<<

So I might better just postpone the issue of updating the graphics system and see how Aero will work with what's built-in.

2.) Yes, I will add a 1MB module to the two existing 512MB sticks so hat I can run with 2GB in "dual channel" mode.

Steve,
thanks for pointing to the card.
Looks good.
But as the USDT's power supply only provides 200 watt it's not compatible because of needing > 300 watt I'm out of the game.

John,
Yes, you have been only too right when warning me that the USDT does not allow for much upgrading.

Thanks for pointing to the size issue. There really is not much space (probably not more than in my d530 and it's close to nothing).

Some of the cards (the image of which I saw when searching around) look like real monsters with their additional coolers and fans and for sure would not fit ...

Thanks again all of you.
This is of tremendous value for me.
As a "one-trick-pony" I did hardly ever care about any graphics cards (except when some one-and-a-half dozens of years ago I bought a wonderful ATI card for the docking-station of my LTE ).

Rainald

Frequent Advisor
bruce van de gevel
Message 8 of 8 (1,041 Views)

Rainald--If you look up Jaton cards on the WEB or E-bay you will find a 128mbs and a 256mbs half height and 4.75 inches long.Both come with half height and full height brackets and a Y cable which splits the digital output to 2x analogue VGA.I use the 256 mbs card in my D530usdt in the PCI slot and the code is Jaton338PCI-LP and I think the 128mbs card is Jaton 228 PCI-LP.I am also thinking of buying a 7600usdt and expect the card to fit.I bought the card from the USA so if thats where you are--it should be easy
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.