dc5850 Keyboard & mouse won't work after monitor sleeps (1262 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Bill Dunn
Message 1 of 12 (1,262 Views)

dc5850 Keyboard & mouse won't work after monitor sleeps

Windows 7 installed and dc5850 is on a network. Hibernate & sleep are disabled as is disk powerdown. Monitor set to go off after 15 minutes. When monitor off, you move the mouse, the monitor comes alive as it should. But, the keyboard & mouse don't work once the monitor lights up.

Does the same thing with either a PS2 or USB keyboard and mouse.

Ideas appreciated.
Honored Contributor
John Kirk
Message 2 of 12 (1,262 Views)

Re: dc5850 Keyboard & mouse won't work after monitor sleeps

Bill

There is an update to the HP Smartcard keyboard driver you may want to check. There is an update to the graphics driver so you may want to check that also.

My other thoughts are that you don't have every power setting disabled or some security setting may be causing this problem.

Your drivers are here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=3658107〈=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=3658105&taskId=135

Hope this helps.

John K.
Occasional Visitor
Bill Dunn
Message 3 of 12 (1,262 Views)

Thanks for the suggestions. Did all that and same results.

Google search seems to indicate this is an issue tied to hiding the task bar. the freeze occurs if the hide task bar is selected. If it's unchecked, the system works fine. Lots of chatter about this being a Windows 7 issue but nothing from Microsoft.
Occasional Visitor
Patrick Gutbrod
Message 4 of 12 (1,262 Views)

I can confirm this problem. I am having lockup problems with a dc5850 with windows 7 Enterprise 64bit, is yours 64bit as well? I've run the video driver update but I'm not using a smart card keyboard so I didn't run that one. I've definately had the keyboard and mouse not respond after waking as well as other lockups where the entire system is unresponsive.
Occasional Visitor
Bill Dunn
Message 5 of 12 (1,262 Views)

Thanks for confirming this issue. My system is running the Windows 7 32-bit version.
Occasional Visitor
Patrick Gutbrod
Message 6 of 12 (1,262 Views)

Bad news Bill, I just got off the phone with HP support and they don't want to support me because Windows 7 never shipped with these boxes ever. I'm not sure where to go from here...My problems are intermittent but but often enough to interrupt work. One machine went two weeks without problems or changes and all of a sudden started locking up 4+ times a day. I've run all the provided bios and drivers listed and still have problems. If you have any breakthroughs please update this thread.
Occasional Visitor
Larry Sudduth
Message 7 of 12 (1,262 Views)

Running Windows XP with SP2 on hundreds of dc5850s here ...

... and the exact same problem is exhibited on some of our dc5850s. (If I had to guess, between 10 and 20 percent of 'em.) All of the PCs are configured the same ... the only power management option that is activated on the PCs is the monitor (after 20 minutes).

There's no rhyme or reason to this problem, as all of the PCs are identical, procured at the same time.

"Minimize taskbar" is not selected on any of the PCs, nor is hibernation enabled.

The problem presents differently, depending on whether a user is logged on in my limited experience up 'til now:

User logged in - The PC accepts some input from the keyboard ... CTL-ALT-DEL brings up the authentication window, which shows the logged on user. The computer will accept the password as it's typed, but will not accept the ENTER key. The mouse can move everywhere on the screen, except over the authentication window. The only alternative is to cycle the machine's power.

User not logged in - The default window-background image is displayed (the monitor disregards the green setting). The PC accepts no input from the keyboard or mouse. CTL-ALT-DEL will not bring up the authentication window, which shows the logged on user. The only alternative is to cycle the machine's power.

HP needs to answer this question ... IT IS NOT A WINDOWS 7 ISSSUE!
Advisor
James Omura
Message 8 of 12 (1,262 Views)

Larry, have you reported the problem under XP? I would expect that if you report it under XP, which is supported, then you might get a response.

Regarding whether it is a Windows 7 issue or not, I remember having a similar problem moving from account to account (using "Log off" and/or "Switch user") under XP a long time ago on a laptop computer. Then one day the problem "magically went away." The only thing that could have affected it was one or other Windows XP update from MSFT. Nothing else changed during that period.

While this current problem *might* be a problem caused by, perhaps a quirk in the dc5850 BIOS, or something like that, I really do expect it is something squirreled away in some little piece of code in Windows 7. And I do expect that one day it will "magically go away" -- possibly sooner if some guy working for Microsoft happens to buy a dc5850.
:-)

Occasional Visitor
Larry Sudduth
Message 9 of 12 (1,262 Views)

James was correct. It turns out that rather than sharing a single image, our dc5850s are configured with a variety of images. Regrettable, I can't report what the fix was ... The easiest way to meet the requirement was to standardize on one of the good images, and recreate the PCs that showed the freeze-up behavior.

As an item of information, the default Windows XP logon screen saver doesn't move when displayed on dc5850s with the bad image.
Occasional Visitor
marklawyer
Message 10 of 12 (1,262 Views)

Larry

Thats virtually the same problem that I am having with my DC7900, the only difference being that the problem on wake from standby, namely, the desktop background shows, no icons or XP taskbar etc just a blank background and neither the keyboard or the mouse work, happens irrespective of whether the user is logged in or not.

Tried all the DC7900 fixes and they dont work. Had the machine for 8 months and the problem keeps corrupting the registry, so the PC needs a new build everytime. Its about time HP sorted this out.

Mark

Occasional Visitor
marklawyer
Message 11 of 12 (909 Views)

I think I may have found the problem with the dc5850 and the dc7900 computers - see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/878467/en-us

The problem may lie with the USB mouse and USB keyboards. If either are moved whilst the computer is going into standby, the Usbport.sys driver calls the USBPORT_CompletePdoWaitWake function. This call is an attempt to bring the computer out of standby, but this call occurs before the computer has fully entered standby so an error occurs. Therefore, the USB mouse and any other USB devices that share the same host controller may stop responding.

Looks like the solution may be not to touch the mouse or keyboard after you click standby.
Occasional Visitor
Bill Dunn
Message 12 of 12 (909 Views)

Sounds like there may be multiple reasons. In my case (resulting in the original post), the keyboard and mouse are not being touched. The computer just sits there with no one around it.

I just turn the monitor ff manually and don't set any monitor sleep. Computer never hibernates nor has it before.

--Bill
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.